Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Raw 1922-D Peace Dollar Find and a VAM Question

PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

This particular Peace Dollar caught my eye which was included in a 20th century type set that appeares carefully put together. This was a listing on eBay. When I viewed the photo, I noticed the die crack on the Peace, but I couldn't tell if the lines between "1" and "9" of the date were scratches, or, gouges. I took a chance and purchased this item, and was "peacefully" pleased when it arrived today. Phewww!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282271686163?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It appears that the Peace dollar has a radial die crack, extending from the "L" in Liberty to neck, and extending above "TR" in Trust and terminating at hair. The crack picks up at "Y" in Liberty, and extends past the "R." What appears to be scratches between the "1" and "9" are gouges. Technically; the grade I believe to be at least a MS65- it looks a bit better than the graded 1922 MS65 I have in my collection.

Question: I searched for a few hours to try to find a match with the 1922-D VAM's, and didn't have any luck finding any that looked similar. It's probably out there; but, I thought I'd throw this out for any opinions. A new VAM?

Thanks,

Rich

008.JPG 198.1K
009.JPG 210.5K
011.JPG 25.6K

Comments

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Rich, Nice looking coin and it should have a vam # but it's not extremely rare and The Guide Book of Peace Dollars by Burdette has an example as their representative coin pictured for the 22-D. I have a roll with graduated cracks on most but not as much as yours and the Book Coin is even more extensively cracked.
    Author explains that Denver "focused mainly on increasing the striking pressure, which resulted not only in short die life, but also in many of the dies cracking". He notes operators would not realized the dies had cracked and produced coins long after they should have.

I'm surprised that I can't find a Vam # either as it seems quite distinctive and it would be something the variety collectors would include.
    Sorry but can't get a picture from the book. Not an expensive book with good plates and almost need a glass to see it in the book.
    Al

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2016 6:30PM

Peace dollar variety collectors typically want to see a die break rather than just cracks. Check the VAMworld site for details. A 1922-D (with the cracks illustrated above) was chosen for the date/mint photo because it was representative of detail and the prevalence of obverse cracks. On your example, the cracks are more extensive, but I have no information on how many more coins might have been made from this die. [The author.]

Here's the book coin photo as a 700x700 pixel image:

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

An expert on varieties has spoken -- so it is a listed variety.

(Personally, I will hold out for the VAM "2B or maybe not" variety also known as the "Hamlet dies" variety.) ;)

• Options

@BIGAL2749 said:
    Rich, Nice looking coin and it should have a vam # but it's not extremely rare and The Guide Book of Peace Dollars by Burdette has an example as their representative coin pictured for the 22-D. I have a roll with graduated cracks on most but not as much as yours and the Book Coin is even more extensively cracked.
    Author explains that Denver "focused mainly on increasing the striking pressure, which resulted not only in short die life, but also in many of the dies cracking". He notes operators would not realized the dies had cracked and produced coins long after they should have.

I'm surprised that I can't find a Vam # either as it seems quite distinctive and it would be something the variety collectors would include.
    Sorry but can't get a picture from the book. Not an expensive book with good plates and almost need a glass to see it in the book.
    Al

Thanks for your contribution to the thread, and the quote from Roger's book on the negligence with cracked dies by the operators at the Denver mint. I didn't realize this as culprit! I'll have to put "Guide Book of Peace Dollars" on my list to read. I'm almost done with Roger Burdette's book, "From Mine to Mint;" an informative, and very interesting read indeed!

@RogerB said:
    Peace dollar variety collectors typically want to see a die break rather than just cracks. Check the VAMworld site for details. A 1922-D (with the cracks illustrated above) was chosen for the date/mint photo because it was representative of detail and the prevalence of obverse cracks. On your example, the cracks are more extensive, but I have no information on how many more coins might have been made from this die. [The author.]

Here's the book coin photo as a 700x700 pixel image:

Thank you Roger on the illustration, and suggestion. It's amazing how many documented 1922-D VAMS exist...I spent a good deal of time looking through them and was a bit overwhelmed...a few bites shy I guess to be at ease in VAM World. Maybe a good thing at this stage; as it could be a drain on the funds....but sure is tantalizing!

@messydesk said:
    VAM 2Y.

Sure enough messydesk!!! Big thanks!!!!!!

http://www.vamworld.com/1922-D+VAM-2Y

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting.... and that set was actually a nice pickup overall...would make a good gift for an aspiring YN....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2016 9:07PM

I've got a 1922-D very similar to yours, Rich. And after going down the VAM rabbit hole (with appreciation to VAMworld!), I'm pretty sure mine is a VAM-18A Die Break Below Y. Have always liked how the circular die cracks produce a spiral effect! -John

• Options
    edited December 3, 2016 7:32AM

@ricko said:
    Very interesting.... and that set was actually a nice pickup overall...would make a good gift for an aspiring YN....Cheers, RickO

Thanks Ricko, I've had some luck with purchasing type sets in the past- most are thrown together and listed well over an honest value, but a few are put together with a bit of effort and have some nice coins and can be a bargain. The 1958 Washington in this set is a fantastic example, looks close to MS67. Franklin's are nice yet lack FBL's but not complaining. Everything else to me is bonus over the 1922-D Vam. As far as a gift to an aspiring YN, I think that's a great idea. I've been trying to get my son involved with the hobby- he's 22 and is more of a gamer in his spare time. Now, if there was only a (RPG) "roll playing game" that dealt with coin collecting, my influence would be easier...

@tychojoe said:
    I've got a 1922-D very similar to yours, Rich. And after going down the VAM rabbit hole (with appreciation to VAMworld!), I'm pretty sure mine is a VAM-18A Die Break Below Y. Have always liked how the circular die cracks produce a spiral effect! -John

Great find, and I agree- it does looks very similar to the VAM-18A. I think die cracks, breaks, polishing lines, and gouges add an unintended beauty to coins that are quite interesting. If I had a choice to purchase between a coin that has the same technical grade, date, and mint, but one has a faint die crack- I'll purchase the one with the die crack. Just gives the coin more character IMO.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, if there was only a (RPG) "roll playing game" that dealt with coin collecting, my influence would be easier...

:D Now that is funny Pocketart.... an RPG about coin collecting.... hmmmm... yeah... seeking out key coins, then fighting over them.... It could be done..... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file