Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~ Copper 4 The Weekend™ ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

A forgotten token issued by eccentric Connecticut lawyer Aaron White.

1860 Aaron White, New Boston, Connecticut, "Bungton" Token, CT-185, 28mm Diameter, Copper.

A forgotten satirical token re-strike by eccentric Connecticut lawyer and coin dealer Aaron White. It's a reproduction of a 27mm diameter counterfeit British evasion half penny featuring Colonel Kirk. White added the first name "Percie" to the obverse and the word "Own" and a "1686" date. A Bungton or also known as Bungtown is humorous name used in the colonies up until the first half of the 19th century. It was originally applied to imitation British half pennies which circulated in American between 1784-1789 some bearing fictitious dates and also used for any copper coin of depreciated value or insignificance. White struck about 200 of the Bungtons in a proof finish although did not distribute them as his other medals. Upon his death in 1886 along with his 3 ton hoard of coinage found in his house and barn a remaining group of 191 Bungton was discovered. After Elliot Woodward auctioned off the first group of White's coins Edouard Frossard followed with another sale in 1888. Frossard listed all 191 of the Bungton tokens in one lot but described them as "Pierce Clark" in error. To make matters even worse there was also a theft during Frossard's auction of the White collection in which medals and tokens had been stolen. Reading The Numismatist articles from the time of both sales it's also mentioned that some of the copper coinage from the White hoard had been taken to smelters to be turned into alloy. I'm doubtful the hoard of Bungtons reentered the hobby or the token would be far more common. I have never seen one offered in any American exonumia auction listing, however have seen a couple in extra fine condition which have been sold in the UK along side evasion halfpennies just calling it a "Atkins-60a" with the "a" added to indicate it as a later re-strike of unknown origin.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

a wheat penny my sister in law gave me sometime ago

1997-Present

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice copper this week.... thanks for the history Broadstruck... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat copper!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Bungton"...................Learned something new today, thanks Broadstruck. :sweat::smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2016 12:17PM

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

My newest, with bad pics. Pretty clear doubling at the date.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

1837 Ezra B. Sweet, New York, NY, HT-335, Ex-John J. Ford

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

Nice ExoJ your lucky I passed on that Sweet as I was tapped out having bought quite a few other tokens ;)

Just another favorite I'm glad I didn't pass on...

1837 "Millions for Defense, Not One Cent for Tribute" HT-42 / Low-28

Ex: Dice & Hicks, Griner, Wurtzbach, and Shumway Collections.

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    "Bungton"...................Learned something new today, thanks Broadstruck. :sweat::smile:

Your welcome! :)

• Options

@ricko said:
    Nice copper this week.... thanks for the history Broadstruck... Cheers, RickO

Here's last weeks Ricko which I had just couldn't edit the OP on the tread to add :(

1863 W. Jaxon - Grocer "Bully For You" Jackson Hall, Jackson, Michigan, Fuld-MI-525D-2a, Rarity-3

I was bullied into adding this to my collection as I don't generally like small cent sized tokens, but have always liked this reverse pictorial die. "Bully For You" in the 1860's was a saying which meant "Good For You". As these are crudely struck most all encountered are fully brown without even trace red and the reverse center weakness is common for the 1863 Jaxon. The 1864 Jaxon's come a bit better struck in central reverse and I saw the so called only RB MI-525D-4a at Stack's lot viewing 3-4 years ago yet wasn't enamored with it. This pop 1 RB for the 1863 issue is nearly fully lustrous mint red on the reverse and total eye candy. Provenance wise this was formally in the collections of Steve Tanenbaum & Marion Emrick along with also being the Plate token in George Fuld's 3rd & 4th Edition CWSC books.

• Options

DCW, Nice puppies... I keep waiting for them to run?!? :p

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

Oh, they'll "run" you about eight grand! Hahaha
    (Bret sold this very token in 2004 for $20k, perhaps the most expensive civil war token on record.)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:

@Broadstruck said:

Oh, they'll "run" you about eight grand! Hahaha
    (Bret sold this very token in 2004 for $20k, perhaps the most expensive civil war token on record.)

Yeah I know the history well and almost did a trade for it a few years ago.

It was listed once for $25-30K after Bret sold it.

• Options

Thanks Broadstruck.... Interesting as always.

@DCW...That is a great token...captures the hunt nicely. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

photo ConnMedal_Combo1A_2.jpg

The official souvenir medal to commemorate Connecticut’s Tercentenary.

It will be in bronze and about three inches in diameter. The design is by Henry G. Kreis (designed the half dollar also), the well known artist, who has co-operated with Paul Manship in producing some of the outstanding medals of recent years.

The medal shows, on the obverse, a group of men and women – the founders of Connecticut – dominated by the commanding figure of Thomas Hooker holding the Fundamental Orders. At his side sits his invalid wife, Susannah. These early settlers of Connecticut were God-fearing men and women, ‘sprung from Earth’s best blood,’ bred in the most advanced thought and ideals of their age. They had the strength of mind and will to achieve their ends. Men and women of this character established in Connecticut self-government which has stood for three centuries. The legend ‘1635-1935 Connecticut 300 years’ springs from the very heart of the medal – an innovation in the medallist’s (sic) art.

The reverse of the medal shows the transplanted grapevines of the State Seal, and the motto, ‘Qui transtulit sustinet’ – ‘He who brought us hither sustains us.’

Expressive of the established traditions of Connecticut, yet quite modern in technique and feeling, the medal was designed by Henry Kreis of Essex, Connecticut, as Public Works of Art Project No. 20 for New Haven. It was struck by the Medallic Art Company.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a toned 1950 frosted proof cent. The photo is not very good and the coin looks much better in hand

• Options

Here is a 1794 cent in my 7070 album.

• Options

One more photo of what I think is a 1966 SMS Cameo cent.

• Options

@BG...That is a very nice Connecticut medal.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously not a coin but they just spent $1.7 million replacing the courthouse roof. It's the most copper I've seen while it's still copper colored and hasn't turned the usual aqua color.

photo copper_zpsqnnckfcj.jpg

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that football token

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 83 proof indian is amazing!!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options

@ricko said:
    @BG...That is a very nice Connecticut medal.... Cheers, RickO

Thank you RickO

photo VermontSesqui_Combo1A_1.jpg

**. . .** "Reference is had to the commemorative bronze medal that is being struck. The two faces of the medal commemorate, respectively, the Battle of Bennington and the foundation of the Commonwealth. The Green Mountain Boy with his coonskin cap and firelock poised, symbolizes the very spirit of Vermont. In the background is the old Stars and Stripes flag that, according to Nathaniel Fillmore, was carried at the Battle of Bennington. That old flag, now at Bennington, is beyond any question at all the oldest Stars and Stripes flag in existence. There is not much room for doubt that this is the actual first Stars and Stripes raised against the enemy.

Mr. Keck agreed to make the design and model of this medal for us without charge. Taking certain basic sketches which I furnished him, he worked them up into a design of great artistic merit.

The medal will not involve the commission in any expense; the cost of making them will be readily covered by the sales. I have hoped that the attention focused on the fact that the oldest known Stars and Stripes, the first to be raised against the foe; was raised by Vermonters would stir the minds and hearts of our citizens so as to make June 14, 1927, the Sesqui-Centennial anniversary of the flag, a red letter day in this State.

For some time past I have been cooperating with the chief designer of one of the great manufacturers of badges and souvenirs, trying to make sure that for our celebrations badges are prepared which are both historically correct and artistically good.

photo VermontCommObv_04.jpg

photo VermontCommRev_04.jpg

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

BG:

I have to join RickO in complementing you on the medals you posted. They are both interesting, perhaps because they both seem to be designed in a way that reflects their time. Very nice!

Mark

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

photo 1878-pf63rb.jpg

Larry

• Options

Another nice medal BG..... That mountain lion looks as if it could walk right off the medal.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins, tokens and medals everyone! So many nice pieces that it is a feast for the eyes!

Love the "Britons Own Happy Isle" slogan. Will this be true again?

• Options

Very nice Stef..... That Wildman's Head token is interesting.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Mark said:
    BG:

I have to join RickO in complementing you on the medals you posted. They are both interesting, perhaps because they both seem to be designed in a way that reflects their time. Very nice!

Thanks Mark

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

That hunting dogs token is awesome!

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file