Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone here specialize in early half dimes?

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking into some nice draped half dimes but this is outside of my knowledge base.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a few of them, at this time only rare varieties.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I've been collecting them since the mid 1970s. Here is a link to my set.

coins.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=13971&Ranking=all

What would you like to know?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a few of them, at this time only rare varieties.

It's interesting that you would say that you only have "the rare varieties." Since the most common varieties, are at least R-3 on the Sheldon rarity scale, and many of those are problem coins or low grade, I was wondering which ones you considered to be "common?" The 1795 is the most common date, but there are 10 known varieties. Only two or three of those are seen with any frequency. The 1800 is also a common date, but you would be hard pressed to find more than two or three at a major show, if that.

As I wrote in the description of my set, "There are no common coins in this set."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2016 3:46PM

I think what Rich said is clear enough - he has 3 R7 draped bust half dime specimens on his site, so what he has are all definitely (extremely) rare.
    He didn't say any of this type were common.
    I agree with you that all draped bust half dime varieties are rare or scarce:

Date LM Rarity
    1796 1 3
    1796 2 6
    1797 1 3
    1797 2 4
    1797 3 5
    1797 4 6
    1800 1 3
    1800 2 7
    1800 3 4
    1800 4 7
    1801 1 7
    1801 2 4
    1802 1 5
    1803 1 6
    1803 2 4
    1803 3 3
    1805 1 4

For pricing of high grade specimens, probably the best resources are
    PCGS Auction Prices Realized:
    pcgs.com/auctionprices/category.aspx?c=92
    and Heritage auction records:
    https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=51+790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=draped+bust+half+dime&ic4=ArchiveTab-071515

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    I think what Rich said is clear enough - he has 3 R7 draped bust half dime specimens on his site, so what he has are all definitely (extremely) rare.

Plus, another R7 coin coming soon.

But, Bill Jones is correct, draped bust half dimes are scarce, and very scarce in no-problem holders. Part of the problem is that they were so thin that they suffered damage much more readily than the larger denominations. For example, about 2/3 to 3/4 of the 1802 half dimes known are problem coins.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file