Home Metal Detecting
Options

1848 Seated Dime

cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
edited October 19, 2016 6:31PM in Metal Detecting

A friend found the attached 1848 Seated Dime while detecting. Two questions:

1. How would you technically grade this example?
  2. How long would you "guesstimate" this coin to have been underground?

Optional question: What would be your "dream coin" to find IF you were doing some metal detecting?

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

Outstanding find, I'd say it was dropped before the Civil War. Looks like it came from a muddy site based on the staining.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

nice coin! I haven't found seated in a while. what a beauty that is.

I'm with Bayard, and think maybe 1860s. With nickels coming out in the 1860s, these probably didn't last too much later than that.

Grade? Seateds aren't my series, but I'd say VF. Got a pic of the reverse.

Dream coin? There are a handful. Early U.S. gold, early U.S. silver. Now for realistic dream coin? Either a simple morgan dollar, a gold coin, or Spanish silver higher than 1 real.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dream coin?? Realistically, a Morgan would be nice.... Fantasy? A chain cent or a gold coin.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats an awesome find , congrats :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2016 3:05PM

1: Working from that pic - 35

2: Half Dimes came to an end in 1873. I'm going to just take a guess and say within the time that their use dwindled off. Maybe late 1800's?

3: A 1792 Half Disme. And it has actually already happened: coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2014/05/metal-detecting-1792-silver-half-dime-thrill-of-a-lifetime.all.html

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

1848 half dime I would say 35/40 details. Always a thrill to find Liberty Seated silver.

Since I live in the west, my dream coin would be an early 1870's Carson City quarter. An 1871 cc if not too much to ask. My buddy found a 1872 cc quarter in the fall of 2014. Man it was sweet!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@soleagent ....Wow.... finding CC coins would be awesome....I do not know why, but I have always been attracted to that mint mark... that is why I did a set of CC Morgans... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your comments... I'm envious of my friend, too.

Just for the record, it's a dime, not a half dime.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dream find would be a large planchet pine tree
    :yum:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely, lovely find.

My dream? Hard to pin down just one, but an old gold coin tops the list.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dream find would be an 1894-S dime.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chain cent in or about MS60...That would be a wet dream ;)

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Bayard1908 said.

1. Based on the obverse pic, looks like strong VF+ details.
    2. Probably in the ground at least 150 years.

Dream coin? Too many to list, here, though most are rather goldish-colored. ;)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.