Options

Russ Stringham "Russ" Has passed away.

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

"This is terrible news. We have lost another member of the family"

Amen.
    I lost a family member yesterday.
    Then when I saw this post about Russ's passing I had no words.

@dbldie55 I mentioned to a friend via pm that when I lost my brother several years ago Russ was there to give advice for me to pass along to his widow who was left with a pretty dynamic eBay sales account.

He was a straight shooter if I ever saw one.

• Options

Russ was a stalwart on this forum and contributed considerably. He also was rather ornery and unduly critical on occasion IMO.

The undisputed AH expert, may he RIP

• Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    :/
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

So sad, shocked, rest in peace, Russ. My prayers.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know his ebay ID, might just bid some up and maybe snag a Russ coin;
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2016 11:46AM

So sorry to hear. Russ was a forum legend in his day. I had great respect for him, his collecting moxie, his humor, and his no nonsense style. Though his participation here waned over the last several years, I thought about him often.

RIP, Russ.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

In public and by PM, he was always fun to talk to. Overall, just a really good guy.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news indeed.

Russ was a passionate collector and poster. His love for Kennedy proof and SMS half dollars was intense. Does anyone remember his photos of his tower of slabbed 1964 Accented Hair Kennedies? I think he had over 75 of them in the tower. Also do you remember his EBay pickups of 2 OGP 1964 proof sets containing DCAM AH half dollars that graded PF65 DCAM and PF68 DCAM?

I communicated with him a little when I first joined the forums. As many have pointed out, he could say more in one sentence that most could say in an entire paragraph or page. A very to the point, concise and able communicator Russ was.

RIP

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Anyone know his ebay ID, might just bid some up and maybe snag a Russ coin;
    bob

I believe his company was named Rescoccc, I would imaging eBay might be the same

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

resco is the ID. Thanks 78saen!

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP, my friend.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear it. He was a Great contributor to The Boards.

RIP Russ!!!

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my, I'm so shocked. It was always a delight to read his posts. I'll miss that...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Sad, I talked him years ago. And I bought a few "Slab Caddies" from him. They come in handy from time to time. RIP Russ.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Russ. One of the good old folks from the early days. The discussions were seriously funny and real. I've already been missing seeing you around. Now it's just worse.

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Wow. Very sad news. One of the great posters from the earlier days. I was always hoping he would start posting again. This one hits hard.

Rest in peace, Russ.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Russ

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

WOW
    how sad...how very sad this is
    my condolences to his family and loved ones

russ meant and always will !!!...so much to me
    he used to submit for me when i was new
    to have his eyes on what i bought before it went in
    just added another level of confidence

everything about russ was pure inspiration
    it truly is a shame i never had the fortunate luck of meeting him in person

he will always be missed dearly

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to hear. RIP Russ. Condolences to his family.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible news. I always enjoyed his posts. Rest in Peace Russ.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad to hear
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear it -

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never met Russ in the real world but learned a ton from him via on-line postings etc. Sad to hear....RIP Russ!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Of all the crusty, opinionated, ambitious, and very unforgettable people on the forum, he is at the top of the list.

I said before that one of my regrets was not being close enough geographically to ....HOPE.... to partner up with him and do some pretty great things.

He sold coins for me and I appreciated every comment he made, even if it was a jibe or taunt.

One of a kind.

Damn, this is sad news. I can't find an obit, but it's a sad day for me.

I remember him from IPOTAD days.

Dammit! I already feel like part of our family is gone.

I had the highest regard for him. He never minced words and that's a damn rare quality.
    :'(

I could not have said it better!

RIP Russ. You left a big footprint here...

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭

RIP Russ.

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad news... a real contributor to the hobby and this forum.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

I am saddened to hear this. :'(

Becky
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2016 3:31PM

Sad :'(:anguished::heartbreak:

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn. Damn shame.

When I arrived here in 2006 he and others kept me entertained and educated.

I am thankful for his endearing presence.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

Russ will be missed. Adios amigo.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

Wow, I'm shocked and saddened to learn of Russ' passing. I had become acquainted with him before he ever joined here, as we both frequented another forum site (not coin related). I was really surprised when he showed up here, as neither of us knew the other was into coins. Bought a computer from him many years ago when that was his main business.

To Russ (who signed his posts "Russ, NCNE" - which meant No Certification, No Education as a parody of computer people with certifications), may you rest in peace.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kranky said:
    Wow, I'm shocked and saddened to learn of Russ' passing. I had become acquainted with him before he ever joined here, as we both frequented another forum site (not coin related). I was really surprised when he showed up here, as neither of us knew the other was into coins. Bought a computer from him many years ago when that was his main business.

To Russ (who signed his posts "Russ, NCNE" - which meant No Certification, No Education as a parody of computer people with certifications), may you rest in peace.

I wondered what that NCNE meant...

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news for sure. RIP

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2016 9:28PM

I had as much respect for Russ as anyone, but I don't understand the degree of shock expressed here or elsewhere.
    Why would anyone ever be in denial about the correlation between smoking and the risk of lung cancer ?
    Maybe if you ever witnessed the agonizing and painful course of a loved one who smoked and died from lung cancer, you wouldn't be.
    Life is all about choices. Russ chose to chain smoke.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it may be shock due to how quickly it happened. He was actively posting (OFR) recently, and practically no one knew what was happening. He kept a lot to himself.

So, at least for me, my shock was that he seemed to go from active to inactive in a blink. (was a few days, but that is usually no big deal for folks).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Very sad news. I will miss Russ. He contributed a lot to these boards.

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Life is too short.... Rest in peace Russ

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been off the grid the last few days, I'm so sorry to hear of Russ's passing. As so many here have already said, he was a mentor to many that collect moderns including myself. Although his posting has been relatively infrequent since I joined the forums there are many threads I'd found via the search function in which he was an active contributor.

May his family and friends find comfort in this time of loss.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very sorry to hear this. :(

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:
    I had as much respect for Russ as anyone, but I don't understand the degree of shock expressed here or elsewhere.
    Why would anyone ever be in denial about the correlation between smoking and the risk of lung cancer ?
    Maybe if you ever witnessed the agonizing and painful course of a loved one who smoked and died from lung cancer, you wouldn't be.
    Life is all about choices. Russ chose to chain smoke.

My dad chewed tobacco. He had it all backed up in his panaceas which became cancerous. Lots of people chewed and they never realized until it's too late that there's a reason why a cow has four stomachs.....to digest grass. It shriveled him down to 65lb before dying at 66 in 1996. I was smoking at the time and didn't quit until 2009 when I needed heart surgery. The heart sends the blood to the lungs for the much needed oxygen for all your internal organs with every beat. That's over 100,000 beats a day, over 35,000,000 times a year. This is how the tar makes its way to the heart and kills it. I don't smoke now but do enjoy the flavors of the pouch tobaccos. I rarely swallow the juices, the flavor is way too strong, always spitting. And there are many times when I'm not using it so I'm not that all addicted to it. But anyways, a lot of people just don't know about the above info. Why do people do the bad things to themselves and die at a young age? My dad was an engineer designer at IH. He was a very intelligent man. Still has many patients on the Combine Harvester. Why did he chew tobacco that eventually took his life and left his wife alone for her remaining 19 years? Grandkids had no grandpa............why?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I realize we are getting way far afield here, but your father continued to chew likely because he was addicted to it.

My father smoked heavily from the late 1940s onward and when the Surgeon General's warning came out in 1964 regarding cigarettes and lung cancer my father ignored it and continued to smoke. It didn't matter that the warning was printed onto every package of cigarettes that he purchased or that there were anti-smoking ads on television while he watched; at the moment he was smoking he was satisfied and happy.

My father was diagnosed in 1995 at age 64 with emphysema and he repeatedly told me he thought he developed it because he had allergies that no one knew about. He still smoked even after being hooked to an oxygen tank and even claimed he quit smoking entirely. His rationale for claiming to have quit smoking entirely, even though he was puffing on a cigarette with his oxygen tank on wheels next to him and lines feeding oxygen up his nose, was that he now asked others to give him cigarettes instead of going out and buying his own. Seriously. He was not being sarcastic. At age 66 in 1997 my father was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It was inoperable because he had already done so much damage to the tissue that only perhaps 15-20% of his original lung capacity remained. He went through radiation, three rounds of chemotherapy and incredible pain while wasting away and died just after his 68th birthday in early 1999. Shortly before he passed away, he reiterated to me that smoking could not have caused his emphysema or lung cancer and that he had to have been allergic to pollen and that caused it.

He was addicted, he didn't know how to quit and didn't always want to quit.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2016 10:52AM

My uncle died from smoking much the same way. He smoked for decades, until he got a tumor on his jaw, which had to be surgically sawed off. Then he had an open wound that wouldn't heal and spots all over his lungs. He was a good man and we watched him suffer and waste away to nothing, until he died in hospice in the year 2000.

His son (my first cousin) learned it from him and my aunt. My aunt was smart enough to quit about 20 years ago but my cousin (who has smoked since he was 14 years old) still smokes, despite watching his father die a miserable, premature death. He is 48 now and he is over weight with high blood pressure, too. He is a heart attack and/or a tumor waiting to happen.

Myself, I was addicted to chewing tobacco, when I was in college for 4 years, while hanging around with the frat brother friends and working landscaping. I chewed for a couple years after that. I quit, once, in between for about two years, so I likely chewed for about 5 years total. I finally quit for good not long after that.

Tobacco is HIGHLY addictive in ANY form.

It has been many, many years, since I've touched the stuff and I never will again, but I pray that it doesn't come back to haunt me later in life...........

I can't imagine the guys who are my age that have been doing it their whole adult lives.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

RIP Russ

I used to enjoy the back and forth between Marty and Russ. Always trying to one up each other, all in fun. Russ was the kind of guy that could get you fired up about coin collecting. I know he did that for me more than once.

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2016 12:27PM

Life is so very short - tell those who are close to you that you love them!

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file