Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Russ Stringham "Russ" Has passed away.

124»

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear. I did not know Russ personally, but he did give me some advice on a coin I was selling on ebay when I asked him when I first joined the forum. He was always helpful to other forum members. RIP

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of good things to say that have already been said.

I'll add that he had the same level of skill with various ebay workings.

I wish we didn't have to mourn so many every year.

:(

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

RIP Russ. He was a good guy. One of a kind.

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very sorry to hear this. My heart and prayers go out to all his friends and family.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spend a lot of my time trying to help my patients to quit smoking, and diagnosing smoking related illness. Virtually anything that can go wrong with the human body is either caused by, or made worse by, tobacco use. We now have a way to diagnose lung cancer in an earlier, treatable stage: low dose chest CT scanning. It is covered by Medicare and most insurances. If you are a current smoker, or quit within the last 15 years, you may be a candidate. Check with your clinician or insurance company. The only sure way to prevent lung cancer, or course, is to stop smoking. If you need help call 1-800-QUITNOW. End of P.S.A.
    RIP, Russ

• Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭

damn,my condolences to his family,we had lots of fun here,,

toner loner
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tobacco is HIGHLY addictive in ANY form.

is tobacco addictive or is it the myriad chemicals that are added to it??

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

That's sad news. I'd done a fair share of deals with him. Always enjoyed our conversations.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

My deepest condolences to his family.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Russ a couple times on the phone.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭

Just learned of this sad news. Back in the day, of the open forum, Russ was one of the very few members, whose posts, I enjoyed and looked forward to.
    A class act, comparable to Bear. RIP Russ.

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Is this the Russ that dealt in Kennedy's or was there more than 1 Russ.

There was only one Russ. The one and only for some of us, though only online.

@LouisCamp said:
    My Favorite Russ quote was when someone new would join the board.
    "Fresh meat"

I remember that! Everyone else would be posting "Welcome!" and little smiley faces and waving hands and welcome signs. That was just good fun; he was always ready to help out. But he didn't suffer fools, new or old.

We didn't know each other, but now and then some of early, early posts would surface and it was interesting to see he was once a newbie around here, too. Sorry to learn of his passing. My condolences to his family and friends. He was a larger-than-life and well-respected presence on the forum.

@clw54 said:
    He was a unique character, irreplaceable, and will be missed.

So true.

@19Lyds said:
    Russ was always very intriguing and his posts were bone breaking truth. No BS, just honest to god truth.

Well said.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to read this.
    Condolences to his family and those others impacted by his passing.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭

Peace, friend.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know any of these of late, deceased people, but in my short stay here there sure has been alot of people passing on. :'(

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

After taking a few years break from coins, I recently am back at it and was looking for Russ on the board. Sad and a loss not only for his family but the numismatic community as well. He was one of many that helped others in the hobby.

• Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Hasta luego, amigo!

:'(

imageimage

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:
    I had as much respect for Russ as anyone, but I don't understand the degree of shock expressed here or elsewhere.
    Why would anyone ever be in denial about the correlation between smoking and the risk of lung cancer ?
    Maybe if you ever witnessed the agonizing and painful course of a loved one who smoked and died from lung cancer, you wouldn't be.
    Life is all about choices. Russ chose to chain smoke.

"Degree of Shock"?

Seriously?

A lot of folks that smoke do not develop lung cancer or any other kind of cancer which is where the controversy begins.

I never met Russ but conversed with him regularly when I was a newbie and regardless of who you are or what you might do, anytime a death is announced or shared, it's a shock. Simply because folks on a coin forum do not regularly meet the people they converse with.

Whether he was a smoker or not, his death came as a shock to me.

PS-I understand the contriteness that folks use when referring to smokers and the absolute assertion that Lung Cancer is inevitable. With some folks, that simply is not the case. Heck, even non-smokers in non-smoking families get lung cancer. As an ex-smoker, I had to HATE the smoking habit in order to pull myself free from it but that period has passed. I accept smokers for what I once was and certainly do not assume that just because they smoke that they're gonna die from lung cancer.

All deaths are a shock. Even when you expect them simply because of the finality.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Russ was a cornerstone of the forum that rose from the ashes when our hosts dropped the wild west styled "open forum" here at CU.

A few of us over there brainstormed an obituary for Russ so we and anyone else who "knew" him could answer part of the question of why he was no longer with us here in cyberspace. For those interested:
    http://www.kentreporter.com/obituaries/russell-stringham-jr/

Might be nice to leave a comment if you're so inclined.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

i remember Russ. He was a rather formidable debater around here as i recall. Well that would be as much as any of us around here are debaters,including myself.

May russ RIP. He was an asset to the numismatic community.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, man. Hats off for Russ. Wow.

I liked Russ and his sardonic wit. "Stole" a cool error coin from him in an eBay listing, once, too. Cool guy.

I am only just hearing this.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2016 2:59AM

Oh, man. Hats off for Russ. Wow.

I liked Russ and his sardonic wit. "Stole" a cool error coin from him in an eBay listing, once, too. Cool guy.

I am only just hearing this.

His animated "Smiley Guy Giving the Finger But Censored With a Kennedy Half" avatar used to crack me up every time I saw it.

ROFL

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

I joined the board in 2002 and certainly remember Russ. His posts were not only knowledgeable but entertaining at times. I'm sorry to hear this sad news. RIP, Russ, in numismatic heaven...

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@19Lyds said:

@coindeuce said:
    I had as much respect for Russ as anyone, but I don't understand the degree of shock expressed here or elsewhere.
    Why would anyone ever be in denial about the correlation between smoking and the risk of lung cancer ?
    Maybe if you ever witnessed the agonizing and painful course of a loved one who smoked and died from lung cancer, you wouldn't be.
    Life is all about choices. Russ chose to chain smoke.

"Degree of Shock"?

Seriously?

A lot of folks that smoke do not develop lung cancer or any other kind of cancer which is where the controversy begins.

I never met Russ but conversed with him regularly when I was a newbie and regardless of who you are or what you might do, anytime a death is announced or shared, it's a shock. Simply because folks on a coin forum do not regularly meet the people they converse with.

Whether he was a smoker or not, his death came as a shock to me.

PS-I understand the contriteness that folks use when referring to smokers and the absolute assertion that Lung Cancer is inevitable. With some folks, that simply is not the case. Heck, even non-smokers in non-smoking families get lung cancer. As an ex-smoker, I had to HATE the smoking habit in order to pull myself free from it but that period has passed. I accept smokers for what I once was and certainly do not assume that just because they smoke that they're gonna die from lung cancer.

All deaths are a shock. Even when you expect them simply because of the finality.

Lee, the relationship between smoking and lung cancer is not a correlation nor is it controversial. It is causal, proven in animal experiments and human observation. The first cigarette pack warnings that said "smoking causes cancer" were based on fact. It is also a fact that smoking causes heart disease, COPD, head and neck cancer, esophageal cancer, and arterial disease. Most long term smokers will not die of lung cancer, to be sure, but most will have their lives shortened by some smoking-related malady. When a patient or a friend of mine is diagnosed with lung cancer, it always comes as a shock, followed by a sense of deep sadness because it is preventable. That some non smokers without exposure to tobacco smoke develop lung cancer is true, although rare. However that in no way casts any doubt on the fact that smoking causes lung cancer. I'm really glad that you quit, if it was more than 15 years ago then your risk for developing lung cancer is about the same as the never-smoked population.

• Options

Hey, stop beating a dead horse. Whether smoking did or did not contribute to his demise won't change anything.
    He was the undisputed AH expert with a biting tongue (and keyboard) who was both beloved and bemoaned.
    May he RIP.

• Options

Wow. This is sad. I consigned with Resco a few times, exceptional service. Russ also sold me a nice raw Toned 1986 SAE years ago. I sent it into PCGS a few times, I think the 3rd time did the charm. I sold it as soon as I got it back from PCGS, now I wish I would have kept it. RIP buddy

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, I had no idea. I can remember if he liked a post you made and posted a positive comment about it you felt like you had made it to a new level on the board, yet if he scolded you you would tend to spend the next month or so just lurking. I wonder now who is going to fill his shoes. I have a 64 proof set with a very nice DCAM AH Kennedy, just one problem, a small black spot in the mirror field under the chin, I was really going to try and contact him because I knew he would have the solution to this problem, guess I will have to look up some old post unless someone knows how he did it,. Anyone?

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear regarding Russ. I did not know he was ill.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

@Texast said:
    I have a 64 proof set with a very nice DCAM AH Kennedy, just one problem, a small black spot in the mirror field under the chin, I was really going to try and contact him because I knew he would have the solution to this problem, guess I will have to look up some old post unless someone knows how he did it,. Anyone?

Send it to PCGS doctoring (oops, I mean restoration) service. Unfortunately, it appears you better do it soon. Be forewarned, most nasty spot removal leaves a blemish.

Here's a case where some spots were removed, some remain and the coin looks like a doctor's Frankenstein monster: https://coins.ha.com/itm/three-cent-silver/1851-o-3cs-ms62-pcgs-pcgs-population-67-320-ngc-census-65-254-mintage-720-000/a/1251-8539.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

• Options

Did Russ' cohort ksteelheader also pass on?
    They were peas in a pod and both had AH expertise.
    Ditto for another like-minded former poster K6AZ or something like that.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craZ4coins : K6AZ still posts over on the OFR. I'm less sure of ksteelheader is still over there.

Mark

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mark said:
    @craZ4coins : K6AZ still posts over on the OFR. I'm less sure of ksteelheader is still over there.

he is, occasionally

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

A part of me doesn't believe this story is true.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow -- guess I missed this when it happened. Sorry to hear it. Russ was one of the good guys here.

mirabela
  • Options

We all should pay tribute to "Mr. AH". He probably is in a better place with a bunch of fellow AH lovers.

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

Words can not convey, :(

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the forum was really rocking, Russ was virtually the MC here. Smart guy, great sense of humor, I really looked up to him.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow sorry to hear that. I always enjoyed his post.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll always be in our hearts, Buddy.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Russ we trust

He is solely missed

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was searching the forum for info on the Mad Marty weenies and found this. Pretty much away from the forum for awhile and missed Russ' passing. He was a heck of a guy.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the day, Russ garnered a spot on the welcome cruise. He never got the 'Birthmark' added to the slabs though, it's almost been a year and 1/2 since his passing.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

Back in the day, Russ garnered a spot on the welcome cruise. He never got the 'Birthmark' added to the slabs though, it's almost been a year and 1/2 since his passing.

Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    edited March 18, 2018 6:48PM

Double post...Russ would have said something snarky about this time.

Chat Board Lingo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file