Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The appearance of the forum is "busy"

RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an "eye test" to pick out the thread titles from the background. Anyone else agree?

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. But they might be working on this one. It would be nice to scan the thread titles in a quick sweep from top to bottom looking for key words that catch your interest....like in the previous versions. In the current format you have to pause at every single new thread to see what it's about. There's no key word scanning.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

@RYK said:
    It is an "eye test" to pick out the thread titles from the background. Anyone else agree?

I agree. However, I'm still absorbing the new format for a few more days to determine what I actually like better, or not.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options

"The appearance of the forum is "busy"
    RYK 21 views 2 comments Most recent by HandH 8:46PM"

The title of the thread should be larger/bolder than the author, replies, # of comments, etc., IMO.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do prefer the old format....my old tired eyes are just old and tired.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks fine to me, no complaints here. I also like that if there are new posts to thread, you see a "new" box with number of new posts to that thread.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mama always said, busy is as busy does..........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change is often imperfect and difficult... but I like this way better than no forum.

:)

And most importantly, CU seems committed to making the forum as great as the can given the many improvements seen already in less than a week.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the same at first, but as I get used to the new format I don't find it to be as bad.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen this much activity since the last RYK BST post

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that much better!
  • Options

Again, is it my imagination (or my device) or are the thread titles now in a larger font than before I posted this thread topic?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't speak to the "busy-ness" of it all, but sitting at my desk it seems clear that the format is designed and geared towards display on a portable device, tablets and phones. there is between 3-6 inches of wasted blank space on my screen.

it's strange, several years ago we moved from the constraints of a then-standard square monitor screen to the newer looking rectangular screen which gave the ability to view more information. now, even though mobile devices have the option of two different orientations of the screen, it is more comfortable for users to have the short side oriented top to bottom, sort of like taking a desktop monitor and standing it up or its short side. the result is another change in display and another change in web design.

it really makes no sense to complain about it. once we each figure out where all the needed buttons, tools and other features are located things will be fine --- until the next change.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Humans do not like change... and yet, it is an immutable part of human life...."The only thing that remains the same, is change"... (not sure who first said that, but it certainly is true) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:
    Again, is it my imagination (or my device) or are the thread titles now in a larger font than before I posted this thread topic?

Not sure but on my screen the thread titles have always been at least 2 font sizes larger than the thread information below it.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to me, but my background is black with white text.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were set up where every other post was a different shade, I think it would be easier on the eyes.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Humans do not like change... and yet, it is an immutable part of human life...."The only thing that remains the same, is change"... (not sure who first said that, but it certainly is true) Cheers, RickO

"The only constant is change" and variations thereof seem to be misattributed to Heraclitus. It appears he said, "Everything changes and nothing stands still." (In Greek, anyway. Testing cut and paste Greek: πάντα χωρεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει. Looks like it works, not that I'll likely avail myself to that much in the future.)

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it much harder to read thread titles than the original forum

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

For me, the change was pretty stark at first. PCGS made some tweaks, and I started using the new forums. It got easier to use, the more I used it-both on the PC and on the phone. While I'm still getting used to it, I definitely like it.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:

While I am extremely appreciative of our host's efforts to improve the form I agree 100%.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

it really makes no sense to complain about it. once we each figure out where all the needed buttons, tools and other features are located things will be fine --- until the next change.

Not so much a complaint but an observation. The fact is that if as a user, I find that the appearance unappealing or unwieldy, I (and others) will find more appealing and less unwieldy web spaces to participate.

If the host want to make a few tweaks to make the forum function better, great. If not, great, too. It's a big World Wide Web. :smile:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2016 8:05PM

@messydesk said:
    I agree. I posted a mockup of a layout that has a higher signal-to-noise ratio. Not sure if anybody spotted it. Change this:

to this:

Same information, much easier to read.

This is a good suggestion.

I do think the thread titles appear smaller and buried in the sea of additional information like author, last poster, number of posts, etc. The orange New tags are especially distracting from the thread titles. Overall, I think ways to emphasize title, de-emphasize non-title data will help.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still waiting for the old Heritage site to come back :'(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file