Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 2016-W Walking Liberty Centennial gold maximum mintage of 70,000 with household ordering limit 3

The 2016-W Walking Liberty Centennial gold half dollar will have a maximum mintage of 70,000 coins and a household ordering limit of three coins when it goes on sale from the U.S. Mint at noon Eastern Time Nov. 17.

To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman

Comments

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the information.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

With this information I feel they will sell out !!
    The question is how long will it take?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    With this information I feel they will sell out !!
    The question is how long will it take?

While a sell out is possible these coins will be fairly expensive for a modern commemorative and many collectors will be priced out of the market.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

At 70,000 there won't be many "flippin" their lids over this one. A collector coin only with very little profit potential for speculators imho . I will sit this one out. As others have said before, the mint would have hit a home run with a silver anniversary edition (proof, reverse proof, and burnished set) in original sized coins.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

My favorite design....I gotta be in for one!

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to get one

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I updated the other thread just to get the information into it...

70K is pretty high mintage. I expected the SLQ to have a mintage of about 75K.

At current gold spot, these will cost close to $900 each, but a HHL of 3 could sell it out. But as PerryHall stated, this will probably price many out of the series...

I plan on one. Early this year I had initial plans to get two, but the 100K of the SLQ (and now the 70K of the WLH) convinced me I'll only need one set of these...

• Options

@Onedollarnohollar said:
    At 70,000 there won't be many "flippin" their lids over this one.

Flipping days may be over. I get this feeling very high mintages with very low HHL's are going to become the norm for the mint.

They had some artificial rarities (the AmLib medal and maybe even the APE), but the centennial gold, American Coin and Currency and the Reagan Coin and Chronicles have all been over the top in terms of mintage.

• Options

Since I got the gold Mercury and the gold SLQ, I'll get the gold WLH to complete the set.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine the WLH will be over $900....that is a considerable premium. Since the coin is smaller than the original, I believe I may pass...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good information, but I don't see a sellout on this one. I'm not buying one.

Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Now I have to debate whether to pay the Mint's high prices for it, I love Walkers so I might splurge for it.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    70K is pretty high mintage.

I agree. I was hoping for much lower, especially since many will be priced out.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

I will probably buy one.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has zero bearing on my decision to buy an example.

Perplexed Flippers abound.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint kind of screwed the volume buyers of the quarters when they lifted the limits. The big question will be one of how they'll respond for the halves. Lack of a pre-release cattle call will reduce demand for the coins and have the mint lifting the limits again, making the coins cheaper for the volume buyers in the long run.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

70,000/3 = 23,333 orders needed for a sell-out. Price is not that important to the big buyers and with gold heading lower they may be $840 by Nov. 17.

If it doesn't sell-out on Nov. 17th I will be very surprised.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the quarters looked better than the dimes and hope that the halves look at least as good as the quarters. I have saved a pair of both the dimes and quarters and will likely get a pair of the halves as well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

At current gold spot what is the premium one is paying to acquire one of these? Assuming the bullion value is 75% and the selling price is the $850 dollars suggested by VanHalen then that would equate to something like a $200 premium - so that is one way to justify or not justify the purchase. If one likes the coin as a collectable then the only remaining question can be whether as such it is worth $200 to the buyer.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2016 10:45AM

Another way to "rationalize" a purchase would be to equate this coin to a "work of art." Given the numbers minted it would have to be compared to a high limited edition print rather than an original. Is $200 more or less than one would be willing to pay for a print one would be willing to purchase solely for its aesthetic value?

• Options

The premium to melt will be closer to $250 but your point is well taken. Gold will need to be in the $1150 to $1200 range for the price to be $840. That puts melt around $585, so $840 - $585 = $255 premium to melt.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

wasn't the premium over melt for the Kennedy rather high? I was guessing closer to $1200, since quarter was close to $500

• Options
    alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭

Could you please provide a link for the this news as I could not find it. Thanks!

"The 2016-W Walking Liberty Centennial gold half dollar will have a maximum mintage of 70,000 coins and a household ordering limit of three coins when it goes on sale from the U.S. Mint at noon Eastern Time Nov. 17."

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ablinky said:
    Now I have to debate whether to pay the Mint's high prices for it, I love Walkers so I might splurge for it.

+1

I am also debating it.

I like the OGP a lot but, If the secondary market markup isn't too high; I may have to go for a graded one, as I'd really like a certified MS 70.

The thought of having a Walker in GOLD is really appealing to me.

We'll see...

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited October 14, 2016 7:25PM

@alhas said:
    Could you please provide a link for the this news as I could not find it. Thanks!

"The 2016-W Walking Liberty Centennial gold half dollar will have a maximum mintage of 70,000 coins and a household ordering limit of three coins when it goes on sale from the U.S. Mint at noon Eastern Time Nov. 17."

Here you go: Coinnews link

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@Ablinky said:

+1

I am also debating it.

I like the OGP a lot but, If the secondary market markup isn't too high; I may have to go for a graded one, as I'd really like a certified MS 70.

I agree that the price is high and that makes it difficult but not impossible. As far as the graded 70s, I am over that. Seeing the Mercury dimes fall within many different categories and ranges of "70s" have turned me off to that concept. The final straw was seeing a dealer on the BST seeking out MS 70 UHR's that weren't "dull or flat" in appearance. I will follow suit and not buy a 70 unless I approve it in person. And certainly no graded 70 silver from the US Mint due to the spotting issue.
    Otherwise, I will stick with the raw versions.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmm. Not my usual game but I got a quarter, and surprised myself by liking it and deciding to keep it. Now, a dime is on its way to me. I'll probably buy a half, or maybe two so I can (hopefully) get a nice one. My track record with US Mint products is pretty sketchy.

But, how do y'all store these if you decide to keep them in OGP. It wouldn't take too many of these monstrous presentation boxes to fill up an SDB or safe and it's sort of pointless to keep the coin and the OGP in separate locations...... It's far easier to store 100 slabbed coins than 6 of these things.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    But, how do y'all store these if you decide to keep them in OGP. It wouldn't take too many of these monstrous presentation boxes to fill up an SDB or safe and it's sort of pointless to keep the coin and the OGP in separate locations...... It's far easier to store 100 slabbed coins than 6 of these things.

I put the coins with their capsules in my SDB since the real value are in the coins. The rest of the packaging is stored separately in my home.

• Options

The size is the real sticking point for me..... It bothers me that they will be smaller than issue WLH's...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@BryceM said:

I still have all the OGP, slabbed or not.

@PerryHall said:
    I put the coins with their capsules in my SDB since the real value are in the coins. The rest of the packaging is stored separately in my home.

This.

If some thief breaks in and sees this treasure trove of mint stuff, they'll get a bunch of empty boxes. Though some of the boxes are pretty nice.

The problem ones are the small batch of things I have still sealed from the mint. Good thing is, they just look like cardboard boxes. Bad thing is, I don't have all that many, but they still take up a lot of space...

• Options

@ricko said:
    The size is the real sticking point for me..... It bothers me that they will be smaller than issue WLH's...Cheers, RickO

It wouldn't have been impossible to make it full size, they did source 24k 3/4ozt rounds for the Kennedy half.

But it would have pushed the price up to $1325-$1350. Much more of a price hit than the $900, especially since you've already spent $700 on the first two coins.

And it's make the first two coins look really tiny... :D

• Options

Well... I did not buy the first two coins.... was intending on getting the WLH....but the size really bothers me... sooooo....will wait and see... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Looks like it will be $890 plus $4.95 for shipping unless gold drops some.

• Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

@ VanHalen "

70,000/3 = 23,333 orders needed for a sell-out. Price is not that important to the big buyers and with gold heading lower they may be $840 by Nov. 17.

If it doesn't sell-out on Nov. 17th I will be very surprised."

That seems to be a BIG assumption that every order will be for three coins. Some flippers and dealers, of course, but the average collector will only be able to afford one. And this close to the holidays, I doubt that they will be able to afford to lay out $2,400 - $2,700. And gold is trending higher...

(is this how we reply to posts now? first time on the new board. I like the features (icons) below the post but couldn't see a reply button)

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options

In for a penny, in for a pound.
    I bought the dime and the quarter and I'll buy this also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file