Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NewP Liberty Nickel and story of two images

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
I won this coin on Heritage last night for addition to my toned Liberty Nickel set. It sold for average for the grade money, which surprised me somewhat. This image does give it a darker appearance. I figured it was par for the course for a 63, and had potential to be pretty nice. I’ve been pleasantly surprised a number of times with Heritage pieces that are nicer in hand.

imageimage

For kicks later in the night I decided to look up the cert number to see if it had appeared in prior auctions, and it had. Seven years ago it sold at DLRC for close to $200. I've never been a fan of DLRC images, but in this case, I think it is hard to argue which one did the better job of presenting eye appeal, at least to those of us who like this look.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not be surprised to see it somewhere between the two above...something like this perhaps?

I do not know anything about this coin, just playing photo editing "auto correct".
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And "correct" it did. Nice job.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were a bunch of toned Liberty Nickels in that sale. Do not see these often.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

You are 100% correct ...You never see toned Liberty Nickels very often.

I bid on 6 coins - won 5 - I'm buried in them - but I kept saying to myself:

When will I ever see the likes of these again ?

My favorite one from the five newps:

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Nickels guys. Pretty colors and nice strikes.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I never realized how nice Liberty Nickels could look. Great job guys.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coins!
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MFH

You are 100% correct ...You never see toned Liberty Nickels very often.

I bid on 6 coins - won 5 - I'm buried in them - but I kept saying to myself:

When will I ever see the likes of these again ?

It is a challenge. but one I undertook. I first put together a virtual 'dream set' of other pieces from auction archives, retailer sites, and other registry sets to figure out if a complete set was doable. I embarked on the journey a couple of years ago and am pretty pleased with the outcome. Total of five coins away, including the three super-keys. The coins are displayed in the digital album linked at the bottom of my posts.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunner! I love MFH's piece, too! imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is pretty nifty Liberty Nickel

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file