Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1863 Indian Head Cent Polished Die - Has anyone heard/seen another?

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked up a little Copper Nickel Indian Cent last night and noticed a couple things about it; Polished Die lines at the ear like the “1864 1C Polished Die FS-401 S-5”, and something in front of the neck, similar to the “1897 1C MPD FS-401 S-1” (1 in Neck).

I may be stretching the later “1 in Neck”, it may be a lamination, but the Polished Die lines seem fairly obvious.

What do you think?

Thank you for your interest and comments. image

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin, I like it.
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup! Just like the '64 S-5
  • Options
    I may have to see if I can find Rick Snow's variety book through the ANA Library.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

I may have to see if I can find Rick Snow's variety book through the ANA Library.

Or you can just shoot him a PM here on the Forum, he posts frequently under the username EagleEye.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Thanks Sean.

• Options
    I saw another 1863 IHC Polish Die Lines on eBay yesterday...I can't seem to find it on collectors.com.

I received the coin yesterday and the "protrusion" from the neck appears to be some sort of lamination/flake.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a photo of similar tool marks on an 1864 CN 1c.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Insider2

I have a photo of similar tool marks on an 1864 CN 1c.

Yes, that would be the "1864 1C Polished Die FS-401 S-5” as mentioned in the OP.

• Options
    Here is the CoinFacts Max image...if anyone is interested;

http://images.pcgs.com/CoinFac...96157_52445165_max.jpg

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought those were pretty common - guess I was wrong??

None in my photo files.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is on pg. 215 of the new attribution guide. S-21
  • Options
    Thank you renomedphys!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin facts photo and your photo are the same coin. What did I miss ?
  • Options
    Nothing, I stumbled across the coinfacts image while trying to do some research on the variety...and it is the same coin...just BIGGER.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice IHC with some 'character'....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing, I stumbled across the coinfacts image while trying to do some research on the variety...and it is the same coin...just BIGGER.

I'm just slow I guess.
    So, you bought the plate coin, so to speak, that was used for the coin facts page.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman

I thought those were pretty common - guess I was wrong??

None in my photo files.

I have seen two...the one in this thread and one on ebay, which I cannot find anymore. image

Originally posted by: thebeav

I'm just slow I guess.

So, you bought the plate coin, so to speak, that was used for the coin facts page.

That pretty much sums it up. I bought a coin that has an image already posted on CoinFacts, which happens to be an unattributed variety (S-21).

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine's broke. image

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that looks way neat, i like.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file