Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Isaac Newton Was the World’s Original Counterfeiter Cop

Newton as Warden of the Royal Mint

He went on to administer the milling coins with reeded edges:

Although the Mint had been producing coins with milled edges for thirty years, a large number of clipped and badly worn unmilled coins were still in circulation and legal tender. This was causing inflation and was a serious problem due to the expensive war with France in progress at the time. The government decided to recall all unmilled coins and recoin them with the new machines and Newton took part in the administration of this - although the Master of the Mint was responsible for overseeing matters directly relating to coin manufacture.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a copy of this book, if you or anyone else would like it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    I have a copy of this book, if you or anyone else would like it.

That's cool and very generous of you.

I see AMAZON has 60 used ones for $4 shipped which is probably cheaper than you could get a box and ship it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not know that about Newton... interesting... Might look into that book....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    He would have loved eBay image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

I did not know that about Newton... interesting... Might look into that book....Cheers, RickO

Ricko, I'll send it to you if you want, even if doing so costs me more for a mailer and stamps than that crazy-cheap Amazon price.

Just PM your address.

Unless TO wants it first.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Newton also supervised the arrival of the gold and silver from Vigo bay that was used to mint the VIGO Queen Ann coins in 1703.

One of a few instances where the Brits thumbed their noses at the Spanish after capturing some of their treasure.
    Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Originally posted by: ricko

Ricko, I'll send it to you if you want, even if doing so costs me more for a mailer and stamps than that crazy-cheap Amazon price.

Just PM your address.

Unless TO wants it first.

Thanks, but I relinquish all claims. If you hear from ricko, ship it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file