Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1950 Proof Quarter Re-engraved Tail Feathers Revisited

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's been a couple of years since I discovered this new variety of a re-engraved tail feather proof quarter. I have examined probably 100+ coins since then and have yet to find another.

[URL=http://s717.photobucket.com/user/utahcoin/media/1950 Proof 25c RTF.jpg.html]image[/URL]
I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive been looking... but not finding
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wings on many of the proofs show the same type of lines. Ever check for those?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have looked at '50 quarter proofs, for this, but have not found any. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of at least 5 other examples that have been found. A few were offered to me for moon money and I figured I would find one raw....that was at least 2 years ago.

I also hope that when and if the New Cherrypickers Guide comes out they will include this coin and give YOU credit For Discovery.

As a Washington Collector we all dream of finding a Discovery coin and since there are already 3 other dates With The ETF that are included in the registry sets I expect to see this one Join them....

Congrats again on the Discovery and I can not believe it has almost been 4 years wow.,,,Orginal Thread I Saved.....Still Searching...

Enjoy image

The Original Thread Almost 4 years ago
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will have to look at my 1950 proof quarters to see if they are ETF. None of my proof quarters of the other dates with known ETF example have ETF.

How much value does the ETF add to these coins?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hand Re-engraved Tailfeathers Reverse Proofs have a significant premium over their normal counterparts in grade. They are all tracked in the PCGS Price Guide. The 1950 has the lowest reported census. I've had the good fortune to acquire examples of the 1952 and 1953 from a forum member.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:
    The Hand Re-engraved Tailfeathers Reverse Proofs have a significant premium over their normal counterparts in grade. They are all tracked in the PCGS Price Guide. The 1950 has the lowest reported census. I've had the good fortune to acquire examples of the 1952 and 1953 from a forum member.

I was looking and see nothing - does PCGS even designate this variety which is not in the CPG?

• Options
    edited November 24, 2016 11:24AM

I did mis-state the info posted above.
    Only the 1952 and 1953 re-engraved tailfeathers are listed in the Price Guide and Census.
    1952 FS-902 is PCGS coin no. 511254, 1953 FS-901 is PCGS coin no. 509995.
    They can be viewed from a drop down menu by clicking on the plus symbol located left of the PCGS coin number for the date in the Price Guide or the Census.
    I make the assumption that UtahCoin has not sold his discovery yet, and possibly no other examples have been reported (graded by a TPG) although 1Tommy stated he knows of 5 others found.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options

I did sell the discovery coin to one of the top Registry set collectors in anticipation of the variety ultimately being in Cherrypickers and recognized by PCGS. On a side note, even though I was the first to report this variety (with photos), discovery of the variety was credited to another.....

Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    The wings on many of the proofs show the same type of lines. Ever check for those?

I believe this is seen on most (if not all) Type B Reverses...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2016 10:25PM

@cmerlo1 said:

@Insider2 said:

The tooling on wing feathers may be similar, however the hand engraved Rachis, or quill in the center of each of the tailfeathers on the 1950, 1952 and 1953 Proof quarters is not seen on any other issue in the series. The tips of those tailfeathers are also modified to have much sharper edge detail than the majority of the reverse dies used in that time frame.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know who the other is and have talked with him several times, almost sure I was the one who told him about your discovery and the original thread. Somehow he submitted one or talked to one of the variety guys and it now shows HE REPORTED IT BUT DOES NOT SAY discovered. I sent a note to JT long time ago with a link to your thread.

I told him than that you were the first one to even notice this. I can only hope that when the new guide does come out with that listing you get credit. While the other guy has Made many discoveries in all of the series this is NOT one of them......

You need to contact JT or someone at the CPG and get credit......I still have the original link and have posted it up above and it shows the date and time. Take the time to contact them now before the book comes out.....jmo.......... You should also contact James Wiles and let him know.

Also there is a 1957 d with ETF and its already in the CPG and to me its the rarest of all of them and has been MY Holy Grail coin for the past 3 years.

Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@Insider2 said:

The tooling on wing feathers may be similar, however the hand engraved Rachis, or quill in the center of each of the tailfeathers on the 1950, 1952 and 1953 Proof quarters is not seen on any other issue in the series. The tips of those tailfeathers are also modified to have much sharper edge detail than the majority of the reverse dies used in that time frame.

I was referring to the lines added to the wings on type B reverse quarters. I agree the engraved tailfeathers are different.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been looking for all of the re-engraved and have to say they are difficult to see in hand, let alone from bad pictures.

Does anyone have some nice pics of the 1941 re-engraved leaves?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep forgetting to look for that one....

• Options
    edited December 7, 2016 6:42AM

For what it's worth, here's the letter from Ken Potter on my discovery of the 1950 RTF.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file