Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who likes toned Cameo Proof and SMS coins?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
My reason for starting this thread is that a few days ago I spent some time looking through some Proof and SMS coins that I have picked up over the years that have frosted devices and mirrored fields (some may even warrant a CAM designation). The coins have been stored in OGP, in after market holders (Capital, Whitman, etc.) in albums (Whitman, LOC, etc.) and in flips.

To my surprise a number of these coins have developed toning, which runs the spectrum. Some toning is hazy, some toning is one color, some toning is multiple colors, some toning is along the rim, some toning covers the entire surface of the coins (on one or both sides), some toning is ugly and some toning is very attractive.

Thus this thread and the question in its title. What say you?

P.S. I am beginning to think I should take a shot at putting together a set of toned, frosted, Proof and SMS coins from 1950-1970.

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me. I like dull lifeless coins.

Unless of course the P/L is from being highly polished.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: topstuf

Who doesn't like toned Cameo Proof and SMS coins, unless you're like topstuf? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a challenging set worth considering. Make sure you allow for plenty of time. If your cherry picking it could be a lot of fun.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who doesn't?
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Putting together a set from 1950-64 with real color is very challenging. Adding the clads will up the ante.

I finally found the initiative to send in my set of proof Washingtons for TruViews. Watch for the photos from PCGS next month (I hope). I'm bragging but this is likely the best toned set in existence.??

Roosie proofs will follow after I cross a NGC coin.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rainbowroosie
    Putting together a set from 1950-64 with real color is very challenging. Adding the clads will up the ante.

I finally found the initiative to send in my set of proof Washingtons for TruViews. Watch for the photos from PCGS next month (I hope). I'm bragging but this is likely the best toned set in existence.??

Roosie proofs will follow after I cross a NGC coin.

I don't doubt this one bit.

When are you tru-viewing your MS roosies and washingtons? THATS what I've been waiting for?
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    coppercolor,
    If you come to FUN I'll show you ms Roosies you won't believe. I concede Onlyroosies has the highest graded set, but I have the best looking set. ??
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, I do admire your tenacity and perseverance in the hunt and in your ability to find nice coins...

Way to go, can't wait to see.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: topstuf

I almost spit out my coffee reading that.
    Thanks for the wake up call.
    Funny stuff
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put together my Birth year Set of SMS Cameo coinage...except the cent...it is a tough one on the wallet!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who likes toned Cameo Proof and SMS coins?

it should be a nice set that will take time. ultimately, each of us determines whether our coins are Cameo or not, I will only say that if you send them to PCGS for encapsulation it will be hard to get a Cameo designation on a toned Proof, depending on how the tone is.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record, I would not collect a set like that....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keetsit should be a nice set that will take time. ultimately, each of us determines whether our coins are Cameo or not, I will only say that if you send them to PCGS for encapsulation it will be hard to get a Cameo designation on a toned Proof, depending on how the tone is.
    For that reason this coin always amazes me, 68 DCAM (unfortunately, not mine).

• Options
    Originally posted by: ModCrewman

Originally posted by: keetsit should be a nice set that will take time. ultimately, each of us determines whether our coins are Cameo or not, I will only say that if you send them to PCGS for encapsulation it will be hard to get a Cameo designation on a toned Proof, depending on how the tone is.
    For that reason this coin always amazes me, 68 DCAM (unfortunately, not mine).

This one is mine 67 CAM:

As is this one 66 CAM:

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Don, I can't tell if you agree with me or are trying to prove me wrong. what has your experience been past those coins??
  • Options
    Has anyone else tucked away untoned coins only to find months or years later that the coins have toned in eye aplealing, attractive ways?

I wonder how many stashes of coins exist that have been set aside and not looked at for years or even decades.
  • Options
    I have tucked away coins for years that have remained unchanged. it is all a matter of proper storage and environment. if you're finding that your coins are changing you should possibly think about what causes that and adapt.
  • Options
    Only some of the coins I looked at have toned. Others have not toned at all.

It is interesting that some of the 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971 and 1972 Government packaging for the SMS and Proof sets of that era have caused coins located therein that were untoned when I acquired them to tone (some of the coins in these OGP packaging were also toned at the time I acquired them) since I acquired them.

The storage conditions are vanilla (OGP or aftermarket holders, low humidity, away from sunlight and temperatures consistent with those inside buildings located in the SF Bay Area). However, even a few of the coins stored in inert, non PVC flips, have developed some rim toning.

I also have some OGP flat pack proof sets that contain both toned and untoned coins. None of the coins in these sets have changed at all since I acquired them. What ever has caused some of these coins to tone exists solely within the cello packaging and air in the compartment in which the coins are located. The coins in these sets appear to be stable.

As far as adapting to different storage conditions goes, the fact that some of the coins have developed some toning does not raise alarm bells and motivate me to "do something".

Of the coins that have developed toning, those whose toning is on the unattractive, nay ugly side, can be culled (how much is an ugly toned late 60's proof nickel worth anyway?).

Whatever coins are left over (both untoned and attractively toned) will at some future date provide more viewing pleasure to their current owner and will provide ownership and viewing pleasure to future owners.
  • Options
    the toning you describe is random and I'd consider myself lucky if none of the cherried coins are the ones with ugly tone or ED.

I think the culprit in your case is the salty air, even if it seems like it isn't salty. the times when I encounter what you describe is only when I don't store properly or don't rinse thoroughly after a dip. I live within a few miles of Lake Erie where humidity is typically quite high during the spring/summer months. for those reasons I tend to be a little anal about storage and overdo it, but erring on the side of caution is always a good idea.
  • Options
    Don, I can't tell if you agree with me or are trying to prove me wrong. what has your experience been past those coins??

I was just looking back at a few of my recent posts and see I didn't answer Keets' question as to what my experience has been on getting toned cameo's into CAM holders. I can't think of any that are no longer in my collection that I felt toning has kept it out of a CAM holder.

I've actually had pretty decent luck with a few exceptions. A few of the most notable exceptions are these two that were not given the CAM designation.

PCGS PR66

PCGS PR67

PCGS SP65 - though I don't think the toning is all that kept this one out of a CAM holder, but it sure didn't help my cause.

Additional successes in getting a CAM Designation:

PCGS PR66+ CAM

PCGS PR64 CAM

PCGS PR68 CAM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file