Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

July - Mail Call - what have you picked up?

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stingray

Not derail this thread, but the family and I were in Pittsburgh in early June, our first time. Very cool city, we were there on the Thursday night when the Pegiuns were home playing game 6. City was hopping. Went to a Pirates game that Saturday. Would definitely go back!!

Agree Kirk - great city!

If I ever get to the new stadium, I will have seen Forbes, Three Rivers and PNC.

Ya know? It just seems incongruous to discuss hockey and baseball in the same time frame.

Mike
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193
    Hell of a nice card Keith - has really strong corners.

• Options

• Options

Thanks Mike. Was very pleased when it arrived this week that it looked like the eBay listing. I think it might have a chance for a slight bump, but love the card no matter what the holder says. Are you heading to AC in a few weeks?
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These were delivered Friday. I'm out of town working so it will be a couple weeks before I can post any new ones.

James

• Options
    Originally posted by: KendallCat

Thanks Mike. Was very pleased when it arrived this week that it looked like the eBay listing. I think it might have a chance for a slight bump, but love the card no matter what the holder says. Are you heading to AC in a few weeks?

Decided not to go. Not excited about the commute.

Will be happy to always attend if between Chicago and Cleveland.

See you there!

Mike
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jfkheat

These were delivered Friday. I'm out of town working so it will be a couple weeks before I can post any new ones.

James

Some good looking examples there. Nice bold colors.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Boss Schmidt has always been one of my favorite deadball era players

Very nice pickups.

Why Boss Schmidt? Detroit fan?
    Mike
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    You guys are all making me drool for a Primanti's sandwich!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JRFinest

He has a unique backstory. These are the type of players I enjoy collecting. (Herman Long, Arthur Irwin, Schmidt, etc). However it's hard to say what is fact and what has been embellished. lol. Below are some of the examples that can be found online.

Charles “Boss” Schmidt (1880-1932) was one of the best fighters in the Major Leagues, fighting fellow teammates including Ty Cobb. Legend has it that he even fought an exhibition match against heavyweight champion Jack Johnson. He also reportedly wrestled and pinned a live bear at a local carnival. He was also known for his acts of strength ,and would often drive nails into the floor with his fist...... unfortunately this likely was probably part of the cause for his hand injuries that shortened his career. He also refused to wear shin guards. Overall a tough son of a gun that came from the coal mines.

It depends on what side of the argument you take these days ,but it seemed like he would constantly keep Ty Cobb in check. They later become good friends, and respected one another after their skirmishes. Some might think he was a bully at the time, but others viewed him as a locker room leader.

Thanx!

I appreciate stories like this.

I have a favorite for a different reason - Dodger's Pedro Guerrero - great utility player with a lifetime BA over .300.

Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just received this one today (thanks to Mark~mkduom). I have always been a huge fan of baseball wax trays~the mini version of packs FASC in that the trays and packs within are factory sealed and no one knows who is showing on back of each pack. I have pulled a 78 pack from a tray with Murray RC on back and an 80 pack from a tray with Henderson on back, both of which have since been holdered by PSA. This one will be kept sealed, however. image Trays from 1979 and 1980 are fairly plentiful on the secondary market but once you get to 1977 or earlier, they become rather difficult to find.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    That's a sexy looking tray you got there.
  • Options
    Very nice pickup Tim.

And "3" sticks of Gum Base, Sugar, Dextrose, Corn Syrup, Softeners, Natural & Artificial Flavors & Artificial Colors to boot! image
    Mike
  • Options
    Latest addition to my fledgling 1964 Topps Venezuelan registry. This is the most money I've spent on a Venz to date, but given the combination of eye appeal and star power, I'm thrilled to own it!

• Options
    Originally posted by: grote15
    Just received this one today (thanks to Mark~mkduom). I have always been a huge fan of baseball wax trays~the mini version of packs FASC in that the trays and packs within are factory sealed and no one knows who is showing on back of each pack. I have pulled a 78 pack from a tray with Murray RC on back and an 80 pack from a tray with Henderson on back, both of which have since been holdered by PSA. This one will be kept sealed, however. image Trays from 1979 and 1980 are fairly plentiful on the secondary market but once you get to 1977 or earlier, they become rather difficult to find.

Simply awesome pack - never one seen one before from 1976.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys, appreciate the kind words!

Dan, that McCovey presents very nicely for a 2.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanks Tim. Another day, another 64 Venz HOFer arrival:

• Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    Latest addition to my fledgling 1964 Topps Venezuelan registry. This is the most money I've spent on a Venz to date, but given the combination of eye appeal and star power, I'm thrilled to own it!

Dan, That is an absolute beauty of a VENZ!

• Options
    Been slow going for a while, but I've had a few updates. Picked up this 1973 Brooks a few weeks ago. In terms of design, the 1973 set is one of my least favorite in the 'vintage' era, but this has great centering. I don't see a bump in the future, since a couple of the corners are barely 8-worthy. That's 7 cards in my Brooks basic set. Link is below if you care to see the rest.

This one was a gift from my father. I had a lot of Jim Palmer's master set at one point (over 60% i believe), then I took a 5+ year break from collecting. When I came back, I did a bit of re-focusing and decided to forego most of the 'master set' type cards of players I collect. However, some of the older subsets are really great! I've always liked this card. I have an OPC version as well, a self-submitted PSA 6.

• Options
    Ian, your player sets are killer!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: KendallCat

Simply awesome pack - never one seen one before from 1976.

Of interest?

Back in 1994 this would set ya back about 29 bucks.
    Mike
  • Options
    Hiya Dan

Some more really super V Topps cards.

Mike
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    LCS pickup

• Options
    Very nice pickup, D!

Mike, that is interesting~I'll take as many as they have at that price! LOL!

• Options

Very nice pickup, D!

Mike, that is interesting~I'll take as many as they have at that price! LOL!

I hear ya Tim. image

Mike
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ThoseBackPages

You will enjoy this card. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: galaxy27
    Originally posted by: ThoseBackPages

You will enjoy this card. image

Thanks! image
  • Options
    Love the 56 Hammer!

What year is that case from? I can't tell if it isn't printed right on it.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Love the 56 Hammer!

What year is that case from? I can't tell if it isn't printed right on it.

Based on the numbers on the front, I would say recent. Pretty sure this has the numbers listed on the back of label too.
  • Options
    Does the "84" denote 1984 maybe?
  • Options

What "84" are you referring?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the rack case and yes, 84 denotes 1984.
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome 76 Wax Tray!! Beauty 56' Aaron!!

Pretty excited to receive these. Been holding out for a sharp PSA 9 Henderson and PSA 9 Dr J. and finally got what I wanted.

• Options
    WOW @ DR J & RICKEY!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

On the rack case and yes, 84 denotes 1984.

Oh, I was way off, thought he was talking about the Aaron case.image
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Dan, that McCovey presents a heck of a lot better than a 2. Also I am jealous of that Dr J just posted. That card is on my wish list.
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    2 Mail call posts in the same month!! That's crazy talk. Here's some back story for this card...

I lived close to Baltimore most of my life. Orioles fan since I can remember being a fan of anything. Moved to Reading, PA a few years ago. About the same time, I started focusing on a few player sets, mostly Oriole greats. Brooks, Frank, Palmer, Boog.

I've always wanted to work on a player set of a player in the 50's, but most of the big guns (Mantle, Jackie, Hank, etc) were a bit too rich for me right now. I found out about a player who was from Reading, PA. He was a VERY good player, but was overshadowed by the great stories of the teams he played for, and also by the numerous stars & HOFers that he played with.

Carl Furillo. Career .299 hitter. 1,058 RBI. 1953 NL batting title (.344) More walks than strikeouts in his career.

Nicknamed the Reading Rifle, he amassed 151 OF assists in 15 playing seasons. For comparison, Carlos Beltran is the active leader with 141, while playing in almost 600 more games than Furillo.

I decided his cards, 1949-55 Bowman & 1956-1960 Topps, in mid grade or higher, with great centering, were a very achievable goal.

I was surprised at first that his basic set had never been requested! I had never requested a set, so I was pumped that I could be the first Furillo collector. Got my hands on a sweet 1951 Bowman PSA 6. So I go to the request page and find out that you need 5 cards to request a set.

Well today, card #5 arrived, the nicest 1955 Bowman PSA 7 Furillo that I've seen since I've been looking for them.

Here they are in the order that I have purchased them. Thanks for reading!

• Options
    Wow, congrats on another great player run! I have that 51 Bowman Furlllo. I think mine is a 5.5 . He was an excellent player and I agree that it's hard to believe he hasn't had a player set requested before now. Glad you could right that wrong and show a deserving player some love. I think my favorite of your run is the 58 Topps.
  • Options

I was a Brooklyn fan - I agree.

15 yrs with the same team - .299 BA puts him in some rarified air. IMO? Underrated.

Very nice choice.

I picked Duke Snider for that same reason and I'm totally happy with collector grade cards.

I picked up his RC - was like an SGC 30 but looks much better since the problem is an erasure on the back - to me - looks more like a PSA 5.

You're moving at a really nice pace!

Very nice cards - the 55B is sweet.
    Mike
  • Options
    Just put this one in my 52T collection.

Goal? Well centered PSA 7 cards.

Some day I'll be able to trade them for magic beans.

Mike
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pick ups fellas. Too numerous to name, but the '56 Aaron and the Rickey/Dr J. cards are amazing. That Aaron has eye appeal off the charts. All the others are no slouches as well. '52's look fantastic when centered nicely. Well done Mike!

This one showed up recently. Just love the card. Really a miniature piece of art.

• Options
    SOLID!!! Keep em coming!
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet 50' Jackie Robinson - wish it was mine!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: UFFDAH

Sweet 50' Jackie Robinson - wish it was mine!!

+1
  • Options
    I bought an update set for 26 bucks and got this Piazza.

Very pleased for the price.

Mike
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

This is what I love the most about eBay. A slabbed card featuring my favorite player with enough reasons to question its appearance......until a flathead screwdriver and the "hammer" went to work. I now own a great raw card, free of imprisonment.

• Options
    Exciting arrivals for My 1974 Topps Red Sox team set. I'm most excited about the Dwight Evans. He is my favorite baseball player of all time, other than Yaz. Some of you have seen me say that when a player shares his RC, I think his "first solo Topps card" is special. Well this is Dewey's solo debut and there are no PSA 10's of this card. First solo card, top 2 favorite players, none graded higher, for less than VCP? Sign me up!