Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which coin did you have the most fun buying?

I guess I'd say my 1839-O half.
I bought it on eBay based on the sellers picture and when I got it I was pleasantly surprised.

I sent it to PCGS, where I lost 5 points, but was still happy

Comments

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this one my 1917 lamination error nickel

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a good question. I can't seem to decide! It appears whenever i think of a certain denomination, I have fun with all of them. There's a story behind each one. Oh well, If I were to choose one, it would have to be the Morgan. A vast amount of VAMs in the series makes it fun to explore.image That's the denomination, the coin would have to be the 1909sVDB Cent. PCGS graded.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few! But the first one is my favorite!

1868 PCGS MS64RB

1875 PCGS MS65RB S-15

1886 Variety 2 PCGS MS63BN S-9 Fingerprints but extremely attractive!

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the thread "Bag Burn Goes to Baltimore" -- (Sorry . . .Todd's pics are far better than anything I could muster).

I had my most fun with that one. A toner that is . . . . . . interesting. Some, in the know, have said it is THE toner.

Enjoying it currently . .

Drunner
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't count any online buys as fun, only in person purchases.
    Having a B&M dealer bring out an 1849o quarter after I'd joked that I wanted to see some decent Seated dates, "I'm not expecting like a '49o, just some better dates".
    It was raw, he called it VF, but PCGS later called it an XF40. That was a fun buy.
    I'm boycotting photobucket, so no pic.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no doubt, had to be this 1830 LM-4.2 half dime. It was in a HA.com auction as NGC 62 many years ago. The auction was to be held at the Denver ANA Summer show. I was attending. My father in law (lifelong Denver resident and coin geek himself) went with me to the auction. It was my first ever live/in person auction. Was bidding against one other person. When the other guy cut his bid, I knew it was mine on the next bid. Quite the exhilarating feeling for a first time live auction for me. It is the plate coin from the half dime text, "Federal Half Dimes 1792-1837" by Russ Logan and John McCloskey. It is now in a PCGS 58 holder. Grade is not important, but plate coin status is, at least to me

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool bust half dime.
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great story Barndog
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that my 'most fun' purchase was a Cal gold quarter, back in the early seventies. It's an 1870 G round, common but nice uncirculated. I bought it from a 'coin world' ad, but I forgot the dealers name. I think it was Sweeny or something close to that. He was down south somewhere, Georgia or Tennessee......Well, anyway, as a teen at the time,the coin was far too expensive for me to buy in one fell swoop. The dealer let me lay it away and make payments. Boy, was I excited when I paid it off and received it. It's a beautiful quarter and I still have it. Sorry I don't have a pic. It's in an NGC holder now. I don't remember the grade and haven't seen it in some time. The perils of a bank box.......
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun buying image Period.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at a gun show in WA state (a very large show in Puyallup) which had a few coin tables. I saw a gold quarter eagle for $275 that I liked and purchased it. Later, at another table, I saw a 1909D quarter eagle for $300 that looked even better. So... I went to another table, sold the first one for $320 and went back and purchased the '09D for $300. Lots of fun... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file