Home U.S. Coin Forum

A good case for sniping on eBay

$2.50 Gold with 45 bids

Most of those were placed by one person.
There are still 8 hours to go, but the high bidder e***l( 3744) has it at $1512.

The other guy 6***v( 1030) has been hammering away at it since it was $655.

It's not over and who knows if anyone else will show up, but if the high bidder would have let the other guy own it for a couple of days for $686 and then came back and snipped it, he might of only paid $696 and saved $916.

Placing your max bid early can be very expensive.

I use the free Gixen sniper.

Comments

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seller is thrilled. Wish I owned what these kind of people like to buy.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not tried one of these "sniping" programs, if I wanted something bad enough to try and snipe it, I would set an alarm and hover over the keyboard. Some of these auctions end in the late night / early morning hours and usually my wife or kids is awaken by my chicanery...I just tell 'em I am chatting with Jake from State Farm.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used gixen too. free version works well, they also have an inexpensive "mirror" version that reduces the chance of your bid not getting there in the final seconds.
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used esnipe for over a decade and never missed a snipe going through in time. I have found it interesting. On postal history items in high demand, 90% of ebay bidders make no bids until they snipe via program in the last 6 seconds. In coins, it looks like 80%+ bid gradually, or early.
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gixen has cost me a lot of money.

I used to forget or was unable to snipe.

Now I put in my number and forget it.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line, not sniping always costs more. And using a sniping program enables you to bid without sitting at the computer.
  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using eSnipe for about five years. Never saw the need before that and just sniped manually. That first time, an item I really wanted was going to end while I was in the middle of a flight with no Internet access. So, I researched sniping programs and picked one. Now I use it for almost all auction-style items on eBay and don't know why I didn't start sooner.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone really likes the "PL" designation on the coin. Also, no guarantee he would have saved anything until the auction ends. Might be more coming to the party.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ACop

Seller is thrilled. Wish I owned what these kind of people like to buy.

Me to.

And eBay will never look for a shill until called on it.

Reason I run very few auctions.

Does not look like a shill on this one.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope not but it's really hard to tell sometimes.
    Agreed. In this case though, a shill would most likely not bid it 4 times the value. It has to be that prooflike tag on the thing. Or they think it is a proof! Maybe it is?
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I love snipes....

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Well a sniper did take it.
    6***v came back this morning and chipped away some more, just below e***l's max bid and gave up.

A new player snipped it for one bid increment above e***l

There are only 10-12 known 1878 proofs so it seems unlikely that NGC missed that.

But there were 3 people that thought the PL designation was worth a lot of money.

Member Id: c***c( 482) US $1,837.00
    Apr-26-16 10:20:10 PDT

Member Id: e***l( 3744) US $1,812.00
    Apr-23-16 06:13:12 PDT

Member Id: 6***v( 1030) US $1,792.00
    Apr-26-16 09:53:49 PDT
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a bidder, but tapped out at $655. I have many many $2 1/2 coins in my collection, but no PL yet.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have difficulty not believing that the bidder w/1030 FB was a commissioned shill.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

These have gone for big money at Heritage. Very rare in PL.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snipping is one of several reasons why I want nothing to do with eBay. Life is too short, especially when you are my age, to worry about some guy bidding 2 cents more than you did on a lot you wanted.

Here is what I think of eBay. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every morning at breakfast I review my watch list and set up snipes.
    Coins & Currency
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CoinZip

I love snipes....

mee too!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Originally posted by: BillJones
    Snipping is one of several reasons why I want nothing to do with eBay. Life is too short, especially when you are my age, to worry about some guy bidding 2 cents more than you did on a lot you wanted.

Here is what I think of eBay. image

If life is too short, you need a snipping program so that you can be on the golf course while it bids for you, at the last second!
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    for some of us life is too short to be in front of a computer almost constantly throughout the day manually bidding on items, why ?? snipe it and forget it. the advantage to sniping is that you can change your bid (or remove your bid) if need be, any time you like and ebay or the seller knows you even bid. and by the way, no one will win anything from you on a 2c increment. many times ive been out of town, on the expressway, napping, enjoying a holiday with family, or simply nowhere near a computer when an item ends, the snipe program bids for you in the last few seconds of the end time. some people cry about it, "I would have bid another 50 cents" yeah and you still would have lost it because my bid was $100 more than it sold for
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file