Home Precious Metals
Options

U.S. Wages are down (again)

a couple of quotes from link1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/10/09/measured-in-gold-the-story-of-american-wages-is-an-ugly-one/

>>
Today’s minimum wage employee works 12 percent longer to earn a gallon of milk compared to 1965, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Today’s senior engineer works almost twice as long to buy a gallon of gasoline...

The bottom line is that, in terms of gold, wages have fallen by about 87 percent. To get a stronger sense of what that means, consider that back in 1965, the minimum wage was 71 ounces of gold per year. In 2011, the senior engineer earned the equivalent of 63 ounces in gold. So, measured in gold, we see that senior engineers now earn less than what unskilled laborers earned back in 1965.

Gross wages are still not back to 2007 levels

from link2
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/us/
>> The real median household income for US the peaked in 2007 at $56,189 and is now $4,818 (8.57%) lower at $51,371 for 2012.

One weird thing to me, is that the Forbes article pushes for a gold standard. That might make real wages in gold ounces even tinier in the short term. Some say it would take a $100k per ounce price of gold to get back a gold standard, perhaps one ounce of gold for the engineer and a small fraction of an ounce for the minimum wage worker in the U.S. Hard to fathom the thought process. Perhaps their end game is serfdom for all, the $1, $2, or $3 USD per day that many third-world people live on. In gold terms, a $100k gold price and a $8 per hour minimum wage brings that U.S. worker to about the current level of the third-world poverty wage in gold ounces.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    linky

Wages have fallen further when one looks at net take home pay now (higher taxes/mandatory paycheck reductions) vs. net pay in the past.

Additionally, wages have not kept pace with the destruction of their purchasing power. That "acceptable" level of 2% inflation each year suddenly becomes not so acceptable when its cumulative affect has been exposed.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One wonders how this will all work out.... hope I live long enough to see it.... or not...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why gold would have to go to 100,000 or some extreme number like that.image

What would that accomplish? Why do people assume all fiat dollars are going to be preserved?

Gold could go back to $20 an ounce just as easily if the fiat dollars are simply destroyed. As long as the fed is in control of the money supply they wont be but when they lose control why won't dollars be destroyed?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people's work probably isn't worth the "wages" they receive for it, and for those that just coast, they're lucky to get what they do.
    If the "average" wage is down, then maybe that's a welcome correction and, historically, is the opposite of the condition that leads to widespread price inflation.

When empoyers start bidding for "warm bodies" to fill openings again, then general inflation will be more of a danger?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One wonders how this will all work out.... hope I live long enough to see it.... or not...image Cheers, RickO >>

maybe we dont want to see the outcome of it.
  • Options
    The $100k number would give gold backing to at least a reasonable fraction of the current money supply. I guess a system could reset it to $20, or 20 quatloos (Star Trek reference) for that matter, but it wouldn't trade at that number. Otherwise, a single wealthy person or firm could buy up most of the world supply.

As for Baley telling average Americans, who by many measures tend to be among the hardest working people on the planet, that they are coasting, and that they are lucky that their wages have gone down every year for six years running? Wow, who knew Baley had such a dark side, such a hard heart. I think we have found the lead for the new production of A Christmas Carol. Instead of the famous Ebeneezer Scrooge line about "are there no poor houses" when asked for a donation to help out, Baley could rant with something like he wrote for the new post-modern version: "You workers are lucky to only see a 9% cut in wages. Many of you are coasting and if I had my way, there would be deeper wage cuts." In the post-modern updated version, for the ghost of Christmas-future, the workers cut off Manager Baley's head and parade around the office. Ha ha ha. Pure fiction of course.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most people's work probably isn't worth the "wages" they receive for it, and for those that just coast, they're lucky to get what they do.
    If the "average" wage is down, then maybe that's a welcome correction and, historically, is the opposite of the condition that leads to widespread price inflation.

When empoyers start bidding for "warm bodies" to fill openings again, then general inflation will be more of a danger? >>

Also, substitute "people's" with "CEO's"...
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Carlyle Group knows full well what the future of America looks like >>

I have seen the future and it is a mobile home.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Average US real wages have been falling since 1973. We know have to count on the top 1% of incomes to average out all the McJobs. 2 or 3 wage earners per family today vs. basically something close to 1 in 1973.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    "Debt is future consumption denied." - Eugen von Bohm-Bawerk (this helps explain current, very weak money velocity)

Federal Reserve Policy Failures Are Mounting - Dr. Lacy Hunt

"By allowing high debt levels to accumulate from the 1990s until 2007, the Fed laid the foundation for rendering monetary policy ineffectual."

• Options
    about those "rising" wages. . .

"In very raw terms, if a man wanted to buy a house and a car in 1975 he had to work just under five years to pay for them. If he wants a house and a car today, he has to work almost 11 years…"

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep noticing that if you invest in skills and knowledge, you tend to be employed and if you don't, you tend to seek concessions and free stuff from the government.

If you subsist on government handouts, you tend to support the government and then eventually gravitate into becoming an agent of the government, which is a major problem for those of us who do actual work for a living and support those activities with the half of our incomes that we are coerced into paying through taxation.

Added - I get worked up about this sometimes, and then I realize that the notable exceptions to this kind of sweeping generalization are the military and the first responders. I'm sure there are others as well, but those are the exceptions who've earned my admiration and respect.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the majority worked for my wages, malnutrition would overwhelm the entire nation.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We say wages are down, but is it possible wages were too high?

Perhaps just the same as we say gold or oil is way down and they were too high?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    It's about the loss of purchasing power over time. But everything is wonderful. An hour's labor continues to buy less.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    It's about the loss of purchasing power over time. But everything is wonderful. An hour's labor continues to buy less.

A moot point since no one is working, right? image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but an hour's "labor" is way easier to get through, now that we all have a computer.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Originally posted by: Baley

Yeah, but an hour's "labor" is way easier to get through, now that we all have a computer.

You sound like a FED official trying to justify why the majority's standard of living is decreasing over time.