Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this Ruth card a reprint?

Is this card a reprint and if it is, why is it selling for over $100.00 ?
Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

Comments

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I would contact these guys to see if it's a reprint or not.

http://baberuth.com/licensing/

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭
    it's not really a reprint per se....The seller is making their own card set (i.e. similar to a 1980's Broder card)...The description is pretty upfront as to it's origin.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    It's "art". I'm not sure how you can use mlb team names or player likeness but they get away with it. Looks cool.
  • Options
    The Helmar cards are actually pretty popular to the point they have been included in the past couple of REA auctions. The price is due to the fact they generally only release a handful (seriously only 10-50) of each card and there many Helmar set collectors. I have only purchased a couple Tommy Bridges pieces only because I can't help not purchasing anything Tommy Bridges and I will admit they are beautifully done and capture the essence of the era. I have a friend that loves these cards and some of the issues (especially the ones that mimic rare sets like the Boston Garter line) are fu@%ing beautiful in hand. But yes, they are all modern pieces.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    I actually am the buyer of this card.

The Helmar baseball cards are a unique sector of the card collecting world. Based near Detroit, the company, Helmar Brewing commissions artists to paint pictures of period photographs, or original paintings from imagination. These paintings are used as the basis for the creation of the cards, often limited severely in production to 20 cards.

The cool thing is their player selection not only draws upon the major league players of the era, but also includes minor league players yet to play in the majors, negro league players, others from Japan, and some modern day heroes such as Mantle, Aaron etc.

Each card is unique in that they are all purposely stressed, wearing off the edges, staining or scratching them to look a lot like many of the period issues. With the T-206 cards, the company produces them with one of about 24 or so different period advertising paintings on back. The results are beautiful.

T-206 is what I collect, though I have a few that are based on the E145 Cracker Jack Series from the early twentieth century, and R319 fashioned after the 1933 Goudey cards. They also have several other types of cards including die cut team cards with period T-206 illustrations amidst city backgrounds that are remarkable; Our Guy series, a vibrantly colored series based on T-206, a series similar to R321, '35 Goudeys with four players on a card; the Helmar Oasis Series of outstanding 3-D design, R318, black and white die cut cards that appear much like cards from the 30's. They also have art cabinet cards including L3, an outstanding art achievement with Swarovski crystals imbedded in them, as well as their Imperial cabinets, stunning 8 X 10s of period players.

They've released other more mass produced cards in potato chip packs, bottle tops of players with beer they've produced, and even modern silks, all based on the paintings of these historic players.

All their cards are auctioned off on Tuesday nights on eBay. As they're offerings are limited to about 100 each week, and there are so many different series, each card only appears a few times during any year.

The quality is beyond anything that I've seen out of any of contemporary manufacturers. Obviously, an enormous amount of work goes into producing these.

The company also now produces a quarterly Baseball History and Art Magazine in high gloss, full-color that is absolutely outstanding, writing full depth articles enabling me to learn much more about baseball from other eras.

As an advanced collector (at it since 1969), Helmar cards have renewed my interest in collecting anything produced today. I actually keep them in binders with my original T-206s and Goudeys, and they fit there beautifully.

They may or may not ever gain acceptance fully within the baseball card collecting community, but there so well produced and so enjoyable to collect, I couldn't care less about how they're perceived. I'm having a blast collecting them.

To this card in particular, only 9 have been sold, the highest went for $309. Who wouldn't want The Babe? Amidst my other cards, the cost seems well worth it.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    It states clearly in the description what it is...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...