Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Don Mattingly

Comments

• Options
    That Hitman poster is a classic - very popular in and around NYC in 87.
    My buddy had one but sadly I never got one. Is pay good money for a decent one today.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Danbury Fair Mall? You must have been to Aaron's card store then? >>

I don't recall. When did Aaron's open? I haven't been to the Danbury Fair Mall in years. I no longer live in Connecticut. I remember Team Spirit, and I remember Tom Seaver doing a free autograph signing many years ago. That's about it for anything sports related.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to be a batboy for the visiting team during the early 90s at the Yankee's spring training facility in Fort Lauderdale. Got a ton autographs, saw a clubhouse plastic knife fight in the White Sox locker room (in good fun) and was paid $50 to fetch a catcher's glove from a player's locker. But the coolest moment was meeting Don Mattingly on the field after a game and having him sign a few baseballs. This was during the time of Kevin Maas and Hensley "Bam Bam" Muelens. Great memories.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

<< <i>This was during the time of Kevin Maas and Hensley "Bam Bam" Muelens. Great memories. >>

Those were the days.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

<< <i>I have always wanted to own a Don Mattingly autograph card. I finally purchased one. Do collectors traditionally prefer purchasing a certified autograph card directly from a sports card company, or would they rather purchase a card that has later been autographed by the player and authenticated by PSA/DNA? >>

Mikey,

Which Mattingly Auto did you purchase? When it comes buying auto cards I tend to lean toward stuff from his playing years, but I have some post career certified autos that really like a lot too. The one thing I try to avoid is "sticker autos" My advice would be to follow your heart, collect, what you like, and you'll never go wrong.

Vin

Here are a handful of my favorite post career autos of Donnie's

imageimageimage

imageimage

• Options

<< <i>Which Mattingly Auto did you purchase? >>

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love this "thing." If only they made it for real in 1983. I love that it is actually made by Topps though.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Which Mattingly Auto did you purchase? >>

image >>

Nice card Mikey. Topps Museum always puts out nice looking stuff.

<< <i>Love this "thing." If only they made it for real in 1983. I love that it is actually made by Topps though.

image >>

I was looking at my copy of this "card that never was" a few months back and I couldn't help but wonder how different my collection would be had Topps actually made a 1983 Mattingly. My overall focus is all over the place but the one thing I zero in on is anything to do with his 84 Topps card. I have about 40 versions/variations of it, and there are about 20 or so that I don't have ranging from base cards that I haven't gotten around to picking up, to 1/1's that may never come up for sale.

One thing that may be overlooked had there been a Mattingly card in 83.......I don't think 84 Topps Tiffany Mattingly wouldn't be as big a deal as it is today.

Not only that, but all of these would be 1983's......image

imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    That card is awesome DM23HOF.
  • Options
    Thanks Mattingly's Father. I love that card.

You have a very nice collection of 1984 Topps Don Mattingly cards. I never realized that so many variations were made. I particularly like the 2011 Topps 60th Anniversary Sketch Card.
  • Options

<< <i>I particularly like the 2011 Topps 60th Anniversary Sketch Card. >>

Thanks a lot. It's one of my favorites too. I just got it last week, and it's the only 84 Topps Mattingly 1/1 that I own. There are (at least) 5 more 1/1's out there.

• Options

<< <i>There are (at least) 5 more 1/1's out there. >>

Hopefully I will own one of them one day. image
  • Options

<< <i>Hopefully I will own one of them one day. image >>

I know I'll never get them all, so I hope you grab one!

• Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Here are some early Mattinglys in my pc that focuses on first-cards, but since the 1981 Nashville Arbys was reprinted ad-nauseum with no way of distinguishing from the original printing, I made an exception and went with the 1982's.

• Options
    Very nice cards Minor Leaguer.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just crossed this from an SGC 10 to PSA 10...

• Options
    Very nice.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What set is that "1983TT" Mattingly card from?
  • Options

<< <i>What set is that "1983TT" Mattingly card from? >>

2007 eTopps Cards That Never Were.

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I'm sick with jealousy.

<< <i>Just crossed this from an SGC 10 to PSA 10...

image >>

• Options
    As far as I know the three 1995 Collectors Choice Steve Howe variations are the only cards on which Mattingly makes a cameo appearance. I was wondering if anyone knew of any others.

Kind of a weird card. It looks like Howe is leaning in and making his move while Don is like "I really like you Steve, just not in that way."

• Options
    That's a great post. My cards are 7000 miles away if I wanted to search on my own. Wish I could help look.

<< <i>As far as I know the three 1995 Collectors Choice Steve Howe variations are the only cards on which Mattingly makes a cameo appearance. I was wondering if anyone knew of any others.

Kind of a weird card. It looks like Howe is leaning in and making his move while Don is like "I really like you Steve, just not in that way."

image >>

• Options
    Any Donnie collectors who want to get better at spotting forgeries should check out this thread on Autograph Magazine Live. The OP is very knowledgeable, and has put a lot of work into it. There is also some info on ebay seller "LOCK-EM-UP-BOB" who is currently being discussed in another thread on these boards.

Not sure if linking other forums to this forum is against the rules, but if it is, I'll remove it.

Vin

• Options
    I read that thread yesterday and was very amused at this sleazebag's attempts. Those Donnie autos arent close.
  • Options
    Learned of this cards existence today. Only the second card I've seen that Donnie (sort of) makes a cameo on. Anyone know of any others?

• Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    He was my idol growing up as well. One of my favorite items I have of his, is a sweatshirt from his restaurant I got when I was a kid.
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    Love Donnie's appearance on the Carter card. Love it when player collectors dig that deep. For instance I'm in the process of trading for an 82T common on which Yaz is the subject of a cartoon on back.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Love Donnie's appearance on the Carter card. Love it when player collectors dig that deep. For instance I'm in the process of trading for an 82T common on which Yaz is the subject of a cartoon on back. >>

+1, don't know of a Don appearance on another, but my Larkin collection has some similar cards like the 94 Bowman Ryne Sandberg card with Larkin sliding into second.
  • Options
    I was looking through some cards and noticed Steve Howe appears on a Mattingly card. So they were on each others cards. I'd think it's rare for a P and 1B to be on the same card let alone twice. But these are "out of the box" photos.

1995 Stadium Club #212
    1995 Collectors Choice #522

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Love Donnie's appearance on the Carter card. Love it when player collectors dig that deep. For instance I'm in the process of trading for an 82T common on which Yaz is the subject of a cartoon on back. >>

+1, don't know of a Don appearance on another, but my Larkin collection has some similar cards like the 94 Bowman Ryne Sandberg card with Larkin sliding into second. >>

And you have a card of somebody where Rose is a baserunner in the background.
  • Options
    1987 Donruss #128 Dave Righetti. Mattingly in background.

• Options
    No idea how I missed this thread - big fan of Donnie Baseball here. I still have the baseball he signed for me when I went to see The Yanks vs. Expos spring training game in 1991.
  • Options

<< <i>1987 Donruss #128 Dave Righetti. Mattingly in background. >>

Love it!
  • Options

<< <i>1987 Donruss #128 Dave Righetti. Mattingly in background.

image >>

Great catch Dan! We're up to 3 Mattingly cameo cards. There has to be more out there!

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I grew up in Boston and was a teenager in the mid-late 1980s, and my two favorite players at the time somehow became Wade Boggs and Don Mattingly.

I bought this mini Sports Impressions plate at the time, and was thrilled when Don signed it for me at the team hotel around 1987-88. I have a picture of him signing it kicking around somewhere, which I will have to find and add to the thread here...

• Options
    More Mattingly cameos listed here: Link
  • Options

<< <i>More Mattingly cameos listed here: Link >>

LC, I don't know how I missed this bump last week. Thanks so much for posting! What a cool site! I couldn't find images of the 1992 Clovis Police #6 Mark McGwire, or the 1988 Red Foley sticker #74 Rick Rhoden. If anyone had an image of these please post. I did find the 1990 Upper Deck #171 Mcgwire, but I don't think it's Mattingly on the card. The fielder is right handed, and when I looked at on under zoom on eBay it looked it the player might be wearing glasses? Really does look like Donnie at a glance though. Could be Wayne Tolleson.

Again, thanks for posting Kyle.

• Options
    Agree on the UD not being Mattingly and I also couldnt find images of the ones you mentioned.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    Going with Pat Kelly on the 90 UD McGwire card.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>Again, thanks for posting Kyle. >>

No problem, ajw deserves some of the credit as well. One of his posts on another forum about building a Player Collector website made mention of a Cameo thread there as well and that thread led me to the prior link looking for Larkin cameos. If interested, it's a long thread, but there are others mentioned for a variety of players: FCB Cameo Thread
  • Options
    jalovrajalovra Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    Just came across this thread. Wow, what a bunch of neat Mattingly items. I thought I would share my favotite item: 1979 Indiana High School baseball state championship ticket stub. This was Mattingly's senior year and they were undefeated and reigning state champs (they had gone undefeated the previous year). My father, 2 brothers, and I went down to watch our Logansport Berries vie for the championship and the Berries came out on top in extra innings. I had it signed by Don Mattingly in Dec. 2014 at the Chicago Sun Times show.
    [URL=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/jalovra/media/Mattingly 059_zpspbvpegrv.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    ^^^^ Now that is awesome. I'll PM you my address. image
  • Options
    That ticket is amazing! I've never seen one of those before, thanks for posting it!

• Options
    Another Mattingly cameo. Chris (csakers) posted this in a different thread. I uploaded a cleaner image.

Josh Beckett 2015 Topps Series 2 #613

1993 Donruss checklist

• Options

I am very happy that I was finally able to get Don Mattingly to sign my New York Yankees jersey in January. I am hoping that I will be able to convince him to add additional inscriptions to it sometime in the future. That may be easier said than done.

• Options

That is a great piece of memorabilia, Jalovra. Thanks for sharing.

• Options

Don Mattingly, why he's not in the Hall escapes me. I hope one day I can meet the man and get his autograph on my 84 Donruss. What a colossal player he was.

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can Harold Baines, Tim Raines, Ted Simmons and the rest of recent "good" players get in the hall and not a great player like Don Mattingly? It makes no sense.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭

@The_Departed said:
    Don Mattingly, why he's not in the Hall escapes me. I hope one day I can meet the man and get his autograph on my 84 Donruss. What a colossal player he was.

Just come down to Miami for a 3 day game series and I guarantee you will meet him and get your card signed. He signs just about every other day for all waiting fans as he walks into the stadium. Super nice guy. I've gotten him on his 84 Donruss multiple times and I probably have close to about 25 cards signed by him. And that's me taking breaks in between and going to get other players from the visiting teams. He's that much of a guarantee. They say never meet your heroes, well I beg to differ if he's your guy.