Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Don Mattingly

13»

Comments

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Met the man while he was playing. A CLASS act for sure!!!

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how I missed this thread in the past. I will surely be posting some things here in the near future!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few very special items from my Mattingly collection.

Andy

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Donnie Baseball was my favorite player as a kid. However, I do not think he is quite the hall of fame player others think he is. I would definitely put Harold Baines, Tim Raines, and Ted Simmons ahead of him. He had a 4 year run that was amazing but after that, his career was only slightly better than average.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    Donnie Baseball was my favorite player as a kid. However, I do not think he is quite the hall of fame player others think he is. I would definitely put Harold Baines, Tim Raines, and Ted Simmons ahead of him. He had a 4 year run that was amazing but after that, his career was only slightly better than average.

Hello. Not to argue, only my opinion but, that 4 year run he had was better than all three mentioned players combined for their careers. I can go on and on about the accolades, awards and MLB records he set during those for 4 years while staying clean in a steroid and drug use era but I can't name one memorable thing those other 3 players did. No disrespect to them but it's not even close.

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Very nice collection, A Hopkins.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

@pab1969 said:
    How can Harold Baines, Tim Raines, Ted Simmons and the rest of recent "good" players get in the hall and not a great player like Don Mattingly? It makes no sense.

Let us not forget Alan Trammell. He was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame back in 2018 instead of Donnie.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I may have posted some of these in other threads.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

Very nice.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew up in San Diego during Tony Gwynn's heyday. He was a great player and fantastic SD guy, but Don Mattingly was always my favorite player. I remember he was an autograph guest at a show here in late 1985/early 1986. $3 per signature. I got a 1985 Donruss card done.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭