Home U.S. Coin Forum

1922 No D PCGS VG10

gene1978gene1978 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
What is a good price on this one? I am attending an auction this weekend and this is one lot I ma thinking about bidding on.
GOOD BST DEALS: cohodk, mikescoins, GritsMan, spinaker2000,
My Ebay Auctions

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Coin Facts" PCGS retail price for a VG-10 is listed at $650. On the Gray Sheet, the VG bid is $425, and the Fine bid $535.

I would be careful about this coin. Looking at the pictures of the 1922 Plain cents in "Coin Facts" the grading seems to vary quite a bit. I'd make sure that the VG-10 is very nice for the grade, with no signs of cleaning, before I'd consider placing a strong bid.

My preference would be to look for a VF graded piece with all of the wheat ear lines complete, if you budget at accommodate that. The "Coin Facts" guide goes up to $900 in VF-20 and $1,000 in VF-25. The Gray Sheet amount is $770.

Whatever you do, buy the "strong reverse" variety. That's the one that most collectors want.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure it's the Strong Reverse.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What UtahCoin said. These can get tricky.

At auction this should go under $400. That low of grade $275 wouldn't shock me.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file