Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1843-D $5 SP65 ex. Garrett-Bass in HA sale

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
Few posts on this coin from Mike Byers over the years with its $1mm price tag on eBay. The coin is now listed in the CSNS sale. Will see what it brings...
1843-D

Comments

• Options
    The often discussed 1843-D $5 SP65 ex. Garrett which has been listed on eBay for $1mm has 8 days remaining in the CSNS sale. Current bid is $13,000, a bit shy of the $1mm asking price from Byers. Any guesses on the hammer?
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm ready to put my $14K bid down on it, but I'll wait until we get closer to auction time.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wager it doesn't meet reserve!
  • Options

<< <i>I wager it doesn't meet reserve! >>

I agree with you
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree with you >>

Ditto. That coin has been looking for a home for a LONG time.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin regardless of the price. So, what is it worth unreserved?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not into gold.....BUT.....That is one beautiful coin!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So will over-exposure make this coin a bargain?
  • Options
    EurekaGoldEurekaGold Posts: 150 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree with you >>

Ditto. That coin has been looking for a home for a LONG time. >>

Sure has.
    All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure - Mark Twain
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having been considered amazing from Day 1, the designation controversy has expanded knowledge of the coin beyond, to me, any relevance whatsoever in considering the coin. But it sure has created a stir, and now that controversy informs more people about those designations.

Look at TDN's '94. Get technical later. You "get it" without the slab. Likewise this one.

This coin is the 76-CC $5 of Dahlonega gold.

If someone sold it to me for a buck on the condition I split over that, I'd put it in A PCGS MS65 holder (under-promise and over-deliver), and think that, the label trophy hunter having been scared off, someone with a deep and devoted interest and love for Southern gold would have the opportunity to buy it as "nothing close, this, now, gotta, never? NO!!! . Look don't think till later, just look at it. stop thinking"

I want it in an ANACS slab labeled "1843-D $5, unattributable, gem technical quality, Epiphany's light may burn your mind. Dosages are unquantifiable. INFORMED CONSENT".

I think Al Adams, Doug Winter and the polymath Kevin will, at their deepest core, whether or not any of them misses out on a profit, or not, will grade and attribute it as "You think that's what matters".

For the span of a decade or an instant, who wouldn't ache for karmic connection. The arm in the air touches it even if that's not the paddle number called. The guy sitting next to me in the back row is now my brother and opponent in a drooling war.

njcoincrank will tell JA (or vice versa) they should sticker it against policy. The slippery slopes obvious but I'll state them: first (thus only) "details" coin. First (thus only) non-NGC/PCGS.

I'd do it, with a public announcement about consumer protection afforded and proclaimed by the gold bean.

It will strengthen John's brand rather than dilute its influence. At lunch John might whine "It's stupid, but we did it. As a business decision. (roles eyes) The core of our model, beyond technical terms, IS (emphasis mine) we pay up for quality every time. (Wan and whimsical ironic smile) It's really just fair to the public. Any sticker is stupid on this. We gave it a gold so at least they'd know they should call me first. And to feel free to make up a number and take a shot at me." And I'll say "yeah, the conflicts over rationalizing the intersections and disparities of two paradigms into a pricing algorithm are intensified by the signal-to-noise problem". To which John might reply (though not in real life) "I bought last time, right?"

In the car, on the way back to the office, both of us will likely be thinking about my own signal-to-noise problem. I hope this illuminates my thoughts on the value-added aspect of specimen designation.

For this coin specifically, an "authentic" works fine. Kinda like the Pittman 1833 $5. Kinda like that MoCab 1811 . . . imageimageimage

Cheap shot . . . image

edited to add: $375K plus the vig

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    ColonelJessup wrote: "Look at TDN's '94. Get technical later. You "get it" without the slab. Likewise this one. This coin is the 76-CC $5 of Dahlonega gold. "

Please stop gushing over this, it's not merited. More than a few of the 1843s show semi-proof-like or proof-like fields. This Garrett/Byers piece is just probably the best known preserved example. Take a closer look, the fields are extremely heavily hairlined. The curls on the neck are not well struck. I don't consider it the best half eagle from the Dahlonega mint at all. The MS64 it got from PCGS was already generous.
  • Options
    I get so confused. Like when I stood in the bourse aisle group comprised of Doug Winter, Dave Akers, Dave McCarthy, Fred Weinberg, John Dannreuther, Eddie Milas maybe (Harry pissed off Eddie in beating him out), and whoever else was there, but, even failing to take notes. I got a real strong rush of enthusiasm. Erudition and lust were flying around fast and furious. You would be amazed at how little I said that day. I guess my reason and logic today were distorted by my lack of consideration of your input, which I had not yet had the serendipity to encounter.

You were more well-mannered than I in this discourse, or at least I hope you think so. You post count is low, meaning nothing whatsoever other than to say "I don't know you". Simple as that, no street cred for you (yet) in my book. Note the "yet". My guess, I'm wrong about some of this. I checked the pops; there's a point to be made. I myself do not know how to grade. I just called this one OMFUG.

Yours, mine, image . image .image . image . image

Who's your dealer? Got pitchers?

This coin is not as highly separated in grade from all others of the date or series or mint emissions as the 76-CC. Essentially, I'm suggesting that, whatever D-Mint five you put next to it, you won't take very long to figure out what's best when glorious is present.

I could bear the humiliation if you posted an image that excited me more. image If It didn't, all here will still enjoy seeing it, and know more. Please piss me off. I might learn something.

Got to go. Sorry to take out my Tax Day angst on you. As penance, I will now go to a Second Amendment or Obamanomics thread.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I believe that some of the folks who think less of this coin should look into the quality of Dahlonega coins produced and the history of the first branch mint. Put any other Dahlonega coin up against it for comparison and thus the number matters little as it is the best of breed, so to speak. Comparisons with Philadelphia mint coins are apples and oranges to me. As others have said better than I, the number does not matter, it is the best of its kind.

If they let it go, I think 500K is in the ballpark, but the reserve may be much higher. It will be MOST interesting to watch!
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an aside, I would like to make a comment about our good Colonel...

I've known him for more than 15 years, and have spoken with him countless times in person. In every in-person conversation I've had with him, I've never had a problem understanding him. Yet on here, I think I've never truly understood anything he's written. Go figure.

Here's to many more in-person conversations with the good Colonel: image

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Great coin, can't wait to see what happens.
  • Options

<< <i>As an aside, I would like to make a comment about our good Colonel...

I've known him for more than 15 years, and have spoken with him countless times in person. In every in-person conversation I've had with him, I've never had a problem understanding him. Yet on here, I think I've never truly understood anything he's written. Go figure.

Here's to many more in-person conversations with the good Colonel: image

EVP >>

I've had the very same experience reading the very same prose. . . . image

"He who masters most is he who listens to his students and glows with joy as their own mastery becomes. And then laughs at his own conceit for accepting a title that gives him credit rather than simply living his name." Krishnamurti

When Steve and I are face-to-face, we often get lost in celebrations involving suckling on one of the eight teats of the Dark Goddess Kali, manifesting as her Avatar Dame Nicotine. Filtered. . . . image
  • Options

<< <i> ....If they let it go, I think 500K is in the ballpark.... >>

Mine number is 375K hammer, 440 all in.

Is yours 500K hammer, 585K all-in, or 425K hammer, 500K all-in. I don't even want to defend my number, Just fun to see what these two integers can get going in provoking a dialogue high/low/within. Maybe we can have a poll in $25K range increments?
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reserve posted at 180k
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

<< <i>reserve posted at 180k >>

Priced to sell. I expected a higher reserve.
  • Options
    It is refusing to accept my bid of $181,181, but it was unclear if the bid was rejected as off-increment or if the credit department told them to watch out for me again . . . . image
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<It is refusing to accept my bid of $181,181, but it was unclear if the bid was rejected as off-increment or if the credit department told them to watch out for me again . . . .
    >>

I guess the only way you know is to post another unreasonably low bid. A string of low bids may scare a few bidders off????????

OINK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file