Home Precious Metals
Options

Where is the best place to buy silver?

Ok im a card guy not a coin guy so I need some help. Im looking to spend a couple grand and invest in some silver coins. My question is should I buy old 90%silver coins or buy silver eagles. whats the best place and price to buy them. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rule #1 - whatever you buy and whoever you buy it from needs to have it on hand ready to be shipped. This is something you need to confirm before purchasing.

My preference is American Silver Eagles from dbscoins.com when I can't find them cheaper on ebay.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APMEX, unless you can find a better deal from a reputable seller on ebay.

I like 90% silver for the numismatic aspect, but ASE are visually more appealing for many.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Provident is my go to place....after our own BST.
    As derryB mentioned...major dealer eBay sales are good.....good at triggering a sharp drop in silver prices the next day that is!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    There is a recent thread a couple pages back with the subject line of
    "POLL: Re. SILVER...I must know where folks stand and why!!"
    Within there is an excellent discussion with treatise on silver eagles
    and 90% silver. Be sure to read the linked older thread on why one
    member prefers 90%. I don't recall if it addresses the question of where
    to buy but if you spend some time on the forum, people who are dialed
    in regularly post where there are good deals at the major bullion dealers.
    Also, I recommend you take the time to spread your purchase out over
    a period of at least several months. One does not want to go "all in" on
    ASEs only to discover later they've developed a preference for 90% U.S.
    silver...or vice versa. Trust me, I have experience in the wavering dept.
    and of all the choices I made the smartest one was to slow down and take
    my time. Developing a relationship with a local dealer was the best choice
    of all.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had good transactions with JM Bullion and Provident Metals. When buying I obviously look for the best deals but I only buy from well established dealers. I like APMEX but their prices are normally on the high side.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASE's on eBay, when APMEX or MCM have a sale going. Use your cc (if it has cash back on purchases) +ebates.com for additional 1%+ cash back.
    Great place for 90% silver is on the BST, but use reg. PP to make your purchase.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've had good transactions with JM Bullion and Provident Metals. When buying I obviously look for the best deals but I only buy from well established dealers. I like APMEX but their prices are normally on the high side. >>

I had someone at the coin show tell me that he buys silver only from APMEX.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here, according to me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've had good transactions with JM Bullion and Provident Metals. When buying I obviously look for the best deals but I only buy from well established dealers. I like APMEX but their prices are normally on the high side. >>

I had someone at the coin show tell me that he buys silver only from APMEX. >>

Did you ask him why he limits himself to only one source?image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I had someone at the coin show tell me that he buys silver only from APMEX. >>

Did you ask him why he limits himself to only one source?image >>

Nope. Figured his mind was made up and he had no interest in my stuff.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the good info. hope to be trolling around here more and start adding more coins to my stash.
  • Options
    Ok now one more question as a card guy we have a national convention every year that I buy tons of stuff. If I get the coin bug and im sure I will. What is "THE" coin show to go to each year
  • Options

<< <i>Ok now one more question as a card guy we have a national convention every year that I buy tons of stuff. If I get the coin bug and im sure I will. What is "THE" coin show to go to each year >>

Most would say FUN Florida Unified Numismatics in January each year. The various ANA money shows or Baltimore shows will be close seconds.
  • Options

<< <i>Ok im a card guy not a coin guy so I need some help. Im looking to spend a couple grand and invest in some silver coins. My question is should I buy old 90%silver coins or buy silver eagles. whats the best place and price to buy them. Thanks >>

If you can buy ASEs in 500/monster box quantities, your best bet would be the APs/authorized purchasers. They are essentially the Mint's distributors. Jack Hunt has a small minimum order of just 100 coins/5 rolls, but to get free shipping you'd need to buy at least 500 coins.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

<< <i>compare >>

That is a pretty cool site..... thank you for sharing

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a super cool site (and the gold one too). Has anyone here ever used silver.com, amagi metals or bgasc?

And for the OP, I happen to like Baltimore as it is has been the only one geographically feasible for me to attend. I can't make up my mind between 90% or ASE, so I get both whenever the mood and funds strike. I have some bars but won't add to them. Personal preference only, and trying to keep things simple so if I'm not around it's easier for the offspring (and/or spousal unit) to figure out what to do with all my stuff.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>compare >>

>>

The best place to buy silver is where there is silver.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>compare >>

>>

The best place to buy silver is where there is silver. >>

Great answer. Of course the silver has to be reasonably priced. I've gotten good deals on silver bullion at flea markets, local and major coin shows, the local coin shop, the BST Forum here, eBay, internet bullion dealers, etc. I've also seen overpriced silver at these same venues.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do 99% of my shopping off Ebay and love to take advantage of the Ebay Bucks, when the Ebay Bucks are good to spend I always put it towards Silver. Pretty much either ASE or 90% halves.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>compare >>

>>

The best place to buy silver is where there is silver. >>

Great answer. Of course the silver has to be reasonably priced. I've gotten good deals on silver bullion at flea markets, local and major coin shows, the local coin shop, the BST Forum here, eBay, internet bullion dealers, etc. I've also seen overpriced silver at these same venues. >>

Edited my post and that was all I could come up with on short notice.image
  • Options

<< <i>Ok im a card guy not a coin guy so I need some help. Im looking to spend a couple grand and invest in some silver coins. My question is should I buy old 90%silver coins or buy silver eagles. whats the best place and price to buy them. Thanks >>

There was a fair deal from APMEX on eBay that just ended.