Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1983-P Quarter Error

This is a 1983-P quarter with the spitting eagle error along with the other visible issues you see. What shoul this quarter weigh? opinions on this coin would be welcome, thank you. Sorry the images are not that good if you need better images just ask and I will post them within 24 hrs thank you for the understanding.( I am organizing my imaging setup at the moment)

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't it weigh just as much as a normal quarter? I didn't think an o/c strike added/removed any metal...

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shouldn't it weigh just as much as a normal quarter? I didn't think an o/c strike added/removed any metal... >>

+1
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    That is the question, what should a normal 1983-P quarter weigh?
  • Options
    5.67 grams. image
  • Options

<< <i>5.67 grams. image >>

Correct very correct but my quarter has lost some weight and is weighing in at 5 grams on the nose! This has me thinking and as such I am going to go to a trusted shop tomorrow to verify this as my scale is weighing all coins correctly. What say you all?
  • Options
    BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    Could it be a quarter struck on a nickel planchet struck o/c?
  • Options

<< <i>Could it be a quarter struck on a nickel planchet struck o/c? >>

Maybe this but the size doesn't look right for that and it would be an easy check for the clad layer. Knowing the OP, I would guess his scale was off.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's different. Send it in, won't you ?
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

That looks like a quarter planchet from where I am sitting.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an '83P quarter in my pocket just now....(no spitting eagle) and it weighs correctly.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>

Maybe this but the size doesn't look right for that and it would be an easy check for the clad layer. Knowing the OP, I would guess his scale was off. >>

What is the point of this comment crypto? My scale is not off at all as stated if you actually read the comments, I know to much to ask the great crypto to actually read a post before replying.
    As to the clad layer, There is no copper showing on the edge of the coin along with no reading. As I also stated I will be taking it to a trusted shop to get their opinion and to have them verify the weight. Have a great day guys and I will post info tonight, thanks to those that are commenting.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    *insert GIF of Scarlett Johansson eating popcorn*
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is 5.0 grams and shows no copper along the edge, I would say that it is likely an off center quarter struck on a nickel planchet. The area that comes into contact with the larger diameter dies can expand and thin quite a bit when struck - especially with planchets of somewhat similar weight and diameter. And because it isn't that far off center, the expansion occurred over much more area, causing it to appear similar to being struck on a quarter planchet.

I hope that you get the answer that you're hoping for! Let us know.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although the given weight of this piece says 'struck on a nickel planchet',
    based on the images alone, and not seeing the coin in-hand, it certainly
    doesn't look like it's struck off center on a nickel planchet to me.

OP - are you SURE there's no copper showing on the edge of the coin?

Anything is possible, but my eye does not see that quarter as being
    on a nickel planchet......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>*insert GIF of Scarlett Johansson eating popcorn* >>

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Errors are cool enough in themselves, but an error on a variety, double fun!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options

<< <i>Although the given weight of this piece says 'struck on a nickel planchet',
    based on the images alone, and not seeing the coin in-hand, it certainly
    doesn't look like it's struck off center on a nickel planchet to me.

OP - are you SURE there's no copper showing on the edge of the coin?

Anything is possible, but my eye does not see that quarter as being
    on a nickel planchet...... >>

Looks like light bouncing off of copper over by Trust to these eyes
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly looks like a clad quarter planchet to me.

For one thing the size of the metal disk is large enough for the entire obverse and reverse design of a Washington Quarter to fit on it. The planchet and the dies were not lined up and thus the result of the striking is what you seen in the photo. If you took a regular 1983 P clad quarter and place it on top of the pictured coin the two coins would match up in size.

If it were a nickel planchet instead of a quarter planchet the design of the quarter would not fit entirely on the planchet. Take a regular 1983 nickel and place it on top of the pictured coin and some of the pictured coin would extend beyond the rims of the nickel.

How about a photo of the edge of the coin and a photo of the coin next to a regular quarter and a regular nickel?

Interesting coin with a date and mint that is hard to find in Gem condition.
  • Options
    It weighs 5 grams exactly and I have someone looking at it and will have it back tomorrow or the next day. The reason is they have someone who can check the make up of the metal as the edges do no show copper and are silver in color. This at this point does not mean it is a nickel as the clad layer could have stretched with the rest of the coin. Not having any reeding on the edge could have helped eith this as it would not have had all those weaker spots to crack at to show copper.

Could this be an underweight planchet also? If so would this help keep the clad layer on the edge?
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, so cool !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The metal flowing outward on an Off Center strike
    would not 'cover' the copper core - so we still have
    a bit of a mystery - as I said earlier, it just doesn't
    look like it's a nickel planchet at all.

I'll be interested to see the edge, or a new report
    on the coin today.

As far as the date, although 1983 is a scarce date
    for Ch.BU quarters, it is a very common date for
    off center quarters......the most common date in the '80's, imo.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Hey Fred If I get the coin back today I will image the edge of the coin for you. The guy I gave it to is doing a metal analysis on it as he has a friend at the university with a X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) gun. I also learned from him that the gun can be used to test for banned or toxic metals in plastics that can leach into items held in the plastic. Could be interesting to check out different holders and see what they read. I am currently at the mercy of the guy getting permission to use the gun so stay tuned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file