Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's your internet speed?

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
I remember moving up from my 28.8k modem to my 56k, then... cable image I remember how fast ebay images came in, so i thought I would ask...

How quickly do they come in for ya? In other words... what is your connection speed?

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    i got's me cable, it's niceimage

just took the test here are the results, don't know how fast this is (i don't understand anyof it)

Your raw speed was 262926.26 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

262.9 kilobits per second
    How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

32.1 kilobytes per second
    The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

1MB file download

31.9 seconds
    The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I've got Verizon DSL 700+down/121up

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    49333 most of the time with the occasional jump to 50666. i'm thinking of getting cable or DSL to free up the phone line and speed up but i'm not willing to pay triple yet. most things will load in less than 10 seconds.

al h.image
  • Options
    its4realits4real Posts: 451 ✭✭
    cable - usually instantaneous
    "spare change? Nahhhhh...never have any...sold it all on E-bay..."
    see? My Auctions "Got any 1800's gold?"
  • Options
    T3 line at work.

Bill
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DSL 1 mbit down, 284 kbit up. Sometimes it doesn't seem quite that fast, but it could just be the other side that is slow. Usually it's very fast.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    LanLord, you are correct, most of the time it is the Internet itself, either a router snag or the server you are trying to connect to.

I remember many years ago using BBS's and a 1200 baud modem, getting that 2400 baud modem was some hot stuff!

• Options
    DSL at work and it is fast but the cable at home really smokes. If you want to get a free test of how fast your Internet connection is then Click Here.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options
    At home, I have cable...I was pulling about 1.8 mbit/sec down and .4 mbit/sec up.

At work I have an OC3. image
  • Options
    Still doing dial-up, 56k, usually hooks me up at 53333 bps. Call forwarding to my cell phone while on-line keeps the phone lines open for the wife. Will probably go to cable when MSN contract is up.
    Joe
  • Options
    cascadecascade Posts: 151 ✭✭
    1.7mbit down, .8mbit up on the average with comcast cable modem.
  • Options
    i,m pokin along at 50667 on my dialup modem
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Cable modem, 1.544 Mbps Up/ 384k down. Own domain/email server/ftp server. Great for posting pictures in Ebay auctions.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    993.8 Kbytes/sec (T1 line at work), usually 46-49 Kbytes/sec at home.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Details

Your raw speed was 1470670.62 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

1.5 megabits per second
    How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

179.5 kilobytes per second
    The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

1MB file download

5.7 seconds

I am also the new guy.
    Always know more than you let on.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    114KB/sec ISDL
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm too ignorant to understand this techical stuff. I'm on AT&T Broad Ban and the thing usually runs like a jack rabbit. Usually its the web site, not my service that gives me trouble if I have trouble.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Cable modem here. Don't think I could go back to a phone line now that I have been spoiled.
  • Options
    Cable Modem here via Time Warners Road Runner. 56K what?????? image
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    T1 at work / cable at home.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Jeremy,

why not add a "poll" for this type of thread?
  • Options
    RacerX, welcome aboard.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Details

Your raw speed was 1111246.64 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

1.1 megabits per second

Storage

135.7 kilobytes per second

1MB file download

7.5 seconds

Rating

Compared to all connection types worldwide, yours is fantastic
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Cable modem - test said 3.4 megabytes/second - pretty fast
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeremy, why not add a "poll" for this type of thread? >>

I can't image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I've got a 56k modem, but the test says only 22k.image Anyone know why it might be so low? Could it be because I live in the middle of nowhere?

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    I live in the country and work from home. Since we have no access to cable or
    DSL, we used to have several dial-up lines and ISP accounts.

This summer, I switched everything over to a cool two-way business-class
    satellite internet system. It's suppose to be 384k down & 64k up. In practice,
    the downloads go anywhere from 150k to 1000k, while the uploads are always
    slow; 24 - 32k.

While not screaming fast, everything is relative, and this is the best choice
    for rural access.

I'm a computer guy, but am still amazed that as I type this message, it is being
    transmitted from my home, 22,000 miles up to the geo-stationary statellite
    "SatMex5", and then 22,000 miles back down to the Hughes Network Operations
    Center, and on across the internet!

Ken
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    The HepKitty speeds around the internet with her DSL connection.... Get oughta the way, here comes Lucy!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Beep, Beep roadrunner here imageimageimage

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    I have the same problem as Berylcoin, I have a 56K modem that the test says is operating tonight at a blazing 8.6K. The local server is probably overloaded tonight.

An hour later it's up to 12.4K

Next morning after all the kiddies go to school it's up to 40.7K The speed all depends on the load on the dial up server.
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    11 MBit/sec 802.11 wireless from my notebook, to a cable modem that typically gets 900K-1.2MBits/sec. Yes folks, I move room to room and keep chatting at high bandwidth speeds. I LOVE IT! Best money I ever spent.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    dial up monster super slow and usually am disconnected 6 to 8 times a night if the computer loads at all wihch is usually the case 50% of the time

sincerely michael
  • Options
    << 11 MBit/sec 802.11 wireless from my notebook, to a cable modem that typically gets 900K-1.2MBits/sec. Yes folks, I move room to room and keep chatting at high bandwidth speeds. I LOVE IT! Best money I ever spent. >>

Have you ever posted on the board while "dropping the kids off at the pool"?

I have. image

(Probably way too much information for most of you.)
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Dave,
    Very cool! A guy trying to drum up business at my company gave me a free cell modem and wireless service. It was a few years ago and the fastest I could get was about 10K/second. The lag time was so slow, I just gave up. As new wireless WAN networks are installed at faster speeds (~100K), it will begin to get realistic. Hopefully by the time my little girl can swim, I'll be there...
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    << Hopefully by the time my little girl can swim, I'll be there... >>

Actually, let me rephrase my original quote:

Instead of "dropping the kids off at the pool" you can substitute any of the following:

"taking the Browns to the Super Bowl."
    "laying some cable."
    "bombing the Russians."

etc.

Although, yes, I do agree with your cellular modem bit...it is painfully slow.

• Options
    My DSL gives me:

Your raw speed was 1277031.69 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

1.3 megabits per second

Storage

155.9 kilobytes per second

1MB file download

6.6 seconds

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    this time 38.6Kbps sometimes quicker sometimes slower.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I was under the impression that any thread originator could create a poll but I guess not. So can anyone other than a moderator create a poll?
  • Options
    Dial-Up Modem (AOL image ).

I'm not sure how to check the speed without signing off and then signing back on again. Nevertheless, I'm probably the slowest one here.

I'm the three-toed sloth. image

"Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 'puter says 1.47 mb but the test said 1.2 (ADSL through BellSouth- well worth the extra expense from the old creeping dialup we ditched a few months back). T1 at work.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    What's your internet speed?

About 30mph if the wind is my back and I don't run into a traffic jam.

Matt
  • Options
    3 megabits per second cable
    Montgomery Collections
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Everyones graduated to high-speed but me.I have a 1.2 gig puter,plenty of ram,but only a 56k modem
    which my isp only seems to be giving me 28-36K connects.Despite all the hyped-up local radio ads,this service I have is not at all as advertised.
    I probably need to research a patch on the net to boost my connection?Is there such a thing?
  • Options
    At work I have a T-1 line. At home it is dial up with an average of around 45 KB per second. I know it's slow compared to the DSL and cable connections, but at least mine is free so I ain't complaining. I still remember the 300 bps connections on the old IBM XT machines.image
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Verizon DSL.My speed is what the other guys said. For $5 more than what i'm paying I could have comcast cable line but then I would have to change my email address that I've had for several years so I'll stay with DSL. I think a cable line would be better for last second snipes (we have to find another word for that).

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    in the boonies - 56K - and I am lucky to have that - they just upgraded the phone lines - HA! image
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    2.2 MBps without the patch 4.8 with it
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    2600 bps, I think mine is slowimage---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    56K modem with aol...slow. all that is available in rural SE Ohio where I live. Cable internet is 4 miles from me, but not serviced here. image
    Gary

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file