Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

BIE Progression

rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
A while back I searched through 58 rolls of 1955-S Cents. It was a fun search, and I found many varieties, gems, toners, some prooflikes, minor errors, etc. Those of you who have searched 1955-S BU rolls know that BIE's are pretty common for this date. Jean Cohen cataloged the known BIEs in her 1969 book "The Classification and Value of Errors on the Lincoln Cent", and this book is still known as the "BIE Bible". In my recent search, I came across a BIE that was not listed by Cohen. Out of the hundreds of 1955-S Cent rolls I have searched over the years, including the recent 58-roll group, I have only found 2 examples of this BIE. After the search, I put these aside for later attribution, and this weekend decided to take a closer look. It turns out that this "new" BIE is a later die stage of another BIE that Cohen lists, B149. Cohen B149 is a partial BIE (B_E) and this new one would be considered full (>2/3 of the space between B and E is filled).

Here are full coin photos of the Cohen B149 BIE, the new BIE, and also a high resolution animated.gif transitioning from one to the other. Enjoy!

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Comments

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Love the gif!

So, do you collect BIEs? If so, do you think the Cohen book makes it more enjoyable? I remember trying to get into them, but just couldn't. I started getting into RPMs and found them much more enjoyable with more references readily available.

Fun post! image
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool! Love the gif!

So, do you collect BIEs? If so, do you think the Cohen book makes it more enjoyable? I remember trying to get into them, but just couldn't. I started getting into RPMs and found them much more enjoyable with more references readily available.

Fun post! image >>

I have collected RPMs and Doubled Dies for decades. When I came across a die break variety (BIEs, Cuds, Filled Letters, etc) I put them aside for later attribution. I found a copy of Cohen by chance at a library book sale a couple years ago, and just recently started attributing the BIEs. It's been a lot of fun! Until I had the Cohen book, all I could do is ACCUMULATE. Now, since I can tell you for sure that I own 22 of the 39 total (actually 23/40 with this new one!) BIE's for 1955-S, and I am looking for a couple interesting ones I don't own, I am able to COLLECT BIEs! The reference makes all the difference.

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Love the gif. Great teaching aid!!
    Dan
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Nicely done.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll echo the same sentiments about your excellent gif. Thank you.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Talk about luck! I wonder how many library book sales have copies of that book??? image
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options

<< <i>Talk about luck! I wonder how many library book sales have copies of that book??? image >>

Exactly! It is #400/1000 of the first printing (which may have been the only printing...) and signed by author. Cost me $1. It had been wet at one time, and has ex-library markings, so is very much a "working copy", but that's what I need.

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    amazing .gif work there
    alignment is perfect
    speed is a tad fast for my likes
    6 layer?....about 4 images with 2 used again to return ?

these "BIE" cents never caught on much so i never took interest
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭
    Love it! Great photography as always! Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    That's an excellent GIF.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>amazing .gif work there
    alignment is perfect
    speed is a tad fast for my likes
    6 layer?....about 4 images with 2 used again to return ?

these "BIE" cents never caught on much so i never took interest >>

I know what you mean about BIEs. I just accumulated them when I found them until I ended up seeing a lot of differences between them, and started looking them up in the Cohen book at the suggestion of another forum member who avidly collects them. Now, I'm hooked!

For the animation, I used paint.net to make the overlays, and ezgif.com to make the animation using total of 10 images. I used the default speed on ezgif.com.

The sequence is:

B149 (repeated twice)
    B149 (75%) + newBIE (25%)
    B149 (50%) + newBIE (50%)
    B149 (25%) + newBIE (75%)
    newBIE (repeated twice)
    B149 (25%) + newBIE (75%)
    B149 (50%) + newBIE (50%)
    B149 (75%) + newBIE (25%)

• Options
    Very interesting post and the gif animation is really excellent
    Looking at the 4th. add. of the Variety & oddity guide by F.G.Spadone the bie's seem to occur with some regularity since the early 40's.
    I have found a few these thru the years and also set them aside just because they are somewhat interesting.
    Had no idea that there was a following of same or the book by Cohen.
    Seems that there must be some commonality during the minting process that is happening that would produce
    this reoccurring oddity year after year.
    The only one of the coins that I saved and could find is a 1954s.
    Have no idea as to where the others are.
    Skip

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the reply here
    ezgif.com sweet lil site there too

i used to make .gif images of toners
    crappy lil maker site i was using only allowed 6 images
    so my sequence was ....1-2-3-4-3-2 and it would loop fine
    i didn't have overlay as option

this site...up to 200 images <<< wow
    example
    one can run a complete lincoln series now using the date as alignment
    to see design change through all years
    all combined in one .gif image <<<sweet

the couple i made
    i received comments that speed was an important factor
    they have to have a "natural rhythm" or they can cause seizures in those prone to such
    so i slowed mine down

right on and love it

an assumption of mine pertaining to these "bie" cents is
    an underground effort or message being spread
    that liberty is under occupation
    that "lie's" have infiltrated our precious liberty
    so i've never considered them..."bie"
    moreso "lie" berty cents image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent pictures and .gif..... was not aware of this collecting niche.....will check for these when I go through my wheaties....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These were all the rage in 1970 when I first started collecting, and I recall finding a few in change back then.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a blast from my past. First off excellent pixs. I still collect BIE's from the standpoint that I have all the ones I accumulated from the late 60's/early 70's. I too had owned the Cohen book as well as the Spadone error/variety book. Unfortunately, in one of my moves in the US they were lost in transit with other items. I wish I could get them back along with the Mort Goodman "The Design Cud" book that was in the shipment as well.Happy hunting.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, amazing @rmpsrpms!!! Outstanding!! 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file