Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you submit a CAC approved coin to PCGS for TrueView or a regrade....

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
Should PCGS be authorized to re-sticker said coin?
On a TrueView there is no certification# change.
On a regrade there is a certification# change and CAC needs to be alerted.
I believe that PCGS should have a box of stickers on hand.
Just curious as to your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: I see what you mean. That is a good question. Then PCGS could put the sticker inside the slab on the label...... so people like me can't scrape it off.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a CAC coin I bought from Heritage where they damaged the holder with their inventory sticker (it was an old NGC fattie with the hologram on the outside that came off with their sticker)

I sent it back, Heritage sent it to NGC to get re-holdered and when they got it back, they had to send it to CAC to get re-stickered.

So it is a two step process.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it would be a good idea on two things mentioned; yes they could be in cahoots with CAC to reidentify said coin, and the sticker could be incorporated inside the holder or be added to the label like the "gold shield" on Secure Plus.

On a serious note...it will never happen.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would PCGS ever work together with a company or in any way to help a company whose purpose is to question/criticize PCGS grades?
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would PCGS ever work together with a company or in any way to help a company whose purpose is to question/criticize PCGS grades? >>

LOL - Funny and an excellent point. image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire premise of TPG grading is founded on reputation and impartiality. Any appearance of collusion would invite unwelcome scrutiny. They fight off plenty of accusations of favoritism and grade-fixing as it is.

It's a convenient idea for the collector, but full of snakes & land mines in its application.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a joke, right?

what if ...
    during a reholder, a piece of lint lands on a nice bright white morgan and CAC re-stickers based off the cert number. Later the lint leaves a toning spot. who is on the hook?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would PCGS ever work together with a company or in any way to help a company whose purpose is to question/criticize PCGS grades? >>

That too. I guess it makes sense that there should be complete separation, even just for a re-stickering convenience.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    So if they get a gold CAC coin and grade it higher on regrade, do they add the green sticker? Or does it deserve the green sticker at higher grade? Does PCGS work for CAC?

• Options

<< <i>So if they get a gold CAC coin and grade it higher on regrade, do they add the green sticker? Or does it deserve the green sticker at higher grade? Does PCGS work for CAC? >>

I overlooked that one.
  • Options
    bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    I don't see how or why PCGS has any vested interest in seeing that a re-graded coin gets a CAC sticker put back on. That issue/service (and cost) is up to the owner.

FYI, in the situation when the coin goes through re-grade, it gets a new PCGS cert number. Therefore, you must pay the full cost at CAC for the re-sticker, just as if it was being evaluated for the first time. Also, CAC will not delete the previous PCGS cert number from their database unless they are made aware of it with hard proof in the form of photographs of the coin(s). You also need to include with your re-sticker submission copies of the original submission form and the a copy of the new grade results from the TPG. I can assure you that CAC population numbers are most certainly not 100% accurate due to these facts alone.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see how or why PCGS has any vested interest in seeing that a re-graded coin gets a CAC sticker put back on. That issue/service (and cost) is up to the owner.

FYI, in the situation when the coin goes through re-grade, it gets a new PCGS cert number. Therefore, you must pay the full cost at CAC for the re-sticker, just as if it was being evaluated for the first time. Also, CAC will not delete the previous PCGS cert number from their database unless they are made aware of it with hard proof in the form of photographs of the coin(s). You also need to include with your re-sticker submission copies of the original submission form and the a copy of the new grade results from the TPG. I can assure you that CAC population numbers are most certainly not 100% accurate due to these facts alone. >>

Glad to see a seldom posting veteran forum member posting again......good post bronze6827.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the original ask...."no"

As collectors, we can view them to be closely tied together.

In reality, they are quite separate businesses, though one is more symbiotic of the other. It does not make financial/business sense, for either company, with the proposal given.
    It only makes sense from the collector/coin-owner side.

It is best for them to be kept separate, as they are today.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an order of 20 NGC/CAC graded $20 Libs I submitted to PCGS at the Baltimore show. I submitted them, requesting PCGS only cross them at the same or higher grade. I just got the grades back yesterday.

All crossed except one 1875 $20 (see the below list). This was batch of very accurately graded NGC slabbed coins which most of them I submitted to CAC after buying them over the years to see if they would sticker. The 1857 NGC/CAC $20 I bought from Doug Winter at the New York PNG show already stickered.

One coin upgraded, the 1901-S NGC/CAC MS-62 to PCGS MS-63. That was a nice coin indeed.

I totally understand that I need to bring these 19 newly slabbed coins back to CAC to get them restickered. PCGS had enough to do with these coins without getting involved in another company's business. Of course, I also understand that CAC will double check that 1901-S $20 to see if they will sticker it again but feel comfortable they will as it was truly an PQ coin even in the higher grade.

Order #20868495 / Submission #5102176
    Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
    1 1 30933430 8920 1857 $20 USA AU55
    2 1 30933431 8942 1864-S $20 USA XF45
    3 1 30933432 8952 1867-S $20 USA AU53
    4 1 30933433 8952 1867-S $20 USA XF45
    5 1 30933434 8954 1868-S $20 USA XF45
    6 1 30933435 8956 1869-S $20 USA XF45
    7 1 30933436 8967 1873 $20 Open 3 USA MS61
    8 1 30933437 8967 1873 $20 Open 3 USA AU58
    9 1 30933438 8967 1873 $20 Open 3 USA AU58
    10 1 30933439 8969 1873-S $20 Closed 3 USA AU58
    11 1 30933440 8973 1875 $20 USA DNC
    12 1 30933441 8976 1876 $20 USA MS60
    13 1 30933442 8978 1876-S $20 USA AU58
    14 1 30933443 8995 1881-S $20 USA AU58
    15 1 30933444 9022 1893 $20 USA MS61
    16 1 30933445 9037 1900 $20 USA MS64
    17 1 30933446 9040 1901-S $20 USA MS63
    18 1 30933447 9043 1903 $20 USA MS64
    19 1 30933448 9043 1903 $20 USA MS64
    20 1 30933449 9046 1904-S $20
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As collectors, we can view them to be closely tied together.

In reality, they are quite separate businesses, though one is more symbiotic of the other. >>

Or, less charitably: New plastic = new Shark from the Remora's point of view.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

<< <i>Should PCGS be authorized to re-sticker said coin?
    Just curious as to your thoughts. >>

I know you're smarter than that, Goldbully. But just in case, let's look at this scenario to bring you back to reality:

When I take my Ferrari in to get it serviced, I feel I should be able to get the latest en vogue model, perhaps a Bugatti. They can then just move my license plate over to the new vehicle, because I'll still be the 'registered' owner (you know, the entitled one)

It's people like you that drive people to drink...

Just sayin'
    All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure - Mark Twain
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not happening, for a long time most CAC threads went poof doing then a favor no way.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAC will resticker coins for $3, providing you can document the change that has taken place to the holder and/or serial number. I've done this many times and never had a problem.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Should PCGS be authorized to re-sticker said coin?
    Just curious as to your thoughts. >>

I know you're smarter than that, Goldbully. But just in case, let's look at this scenario to bring you back to reality:

When I take my Ferrari in to get it serviced, I feel I should be able to get the latest en vogue model, perhaps a Bugatti. They can then just move my license plate over to the new vehicle, because I'll still be the 'registered' owner (you know, the entitled one)

It's people like you that drive people to drink...

Just sayin' >>

I can only hope and pray that I'm as smart as you one day.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I don't think PCGS or NGC should be able to CAC re-sticker coins they reholder for any reason. CAC is a totally separate company, and they should maintain control of the CAC stickers 100%.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>CAC will resticker coins for $3, providing you can document the change that has taken place to the holder and/or serial number. I've done this many times and never had a problem. >>

Heads up: this is ONLY if the cert number doesn't' change. They are quite clear about charging full evaluation price if the cert number has changed, regardless if the grade on the label under the plastic hasn't.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please be advised that a coin with a CAC sticker means that CAC would be interested in buying said coin in its current holder at a price determined by CAC because John Albanese and crew think the coin is solid for the grade at the time people at CAC looked at it. Nothing more, nothing less.

If the coin gets into a new / different holder, CAC needs to look at the coin again to see if they would still be interested in buying said coin.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>CAC will resticker coins for $3, providing you can document the change that has taken place to the holder and/or serial number. I've done this many times and never had a problem. >>

Heads up: this is ONLY if the cert number doesn't' change. They are quite clear about charging full evaluation price if the cert number has changed, regardless if the grade on the label under the plastic hasn't. >>

Not if you can document the cert number change, such as providing copies of the submission form (showing the original serial number) and the grade report showing the new serial number. I've been successful every time I've done it.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Not if you can document the cert number change, such as providing copies of the submission form (showing the original serial number) and the grade report showing the new serial number. I've been successful every time I've done it.
    >>

Negative. What I stated previously is fact. I was just at CAC not a couple weeks ago dropping off some coins for re-sticker with new cert numbers.

Your comment to be the process, but no longer. They changed that policy a year or so ago. Take a look at a current submission form: right under the $3 Re-Sticker you'll notice it says " Original Cert Number Only". If the coin has a new cert number, you're paying either $12.50 or $25 (depending upon insurance value) to re-sticker. You still have to document the TPG submission form and submission results regardless of cert number change or not.

Don't take my word for it. Call up CAC and they'll tell you the same thing.
  • Options
    Will do. Thanks for the heads-up. I obviously have old forms, by the way; they don't have any statement about original serial numbers only.
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file