Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

(2) Vintage Hockey Wax Boxes - The Salvation Army?

I was looking around on eBay a few days ago and caught the auction below with just a couple minutes left. I don't know much at all about Hockey to be honest. I guess the cool looking old boxes caught my eye for some reason on this night. I clicked on the link, and had just enough time to look at the pictures and read the description. As I scrolled back up I noticed the seller was The Salvation Army (Atlanta). I remember thinking that I had no idea they even sold online. The high bid at the time was only around $10-$15. I took a second look at the pictures and thought, someone put in whatever the equivalent of Hockey's 1988 Donruss Baseball is, sealed these up and donated them as a joke. So I exited out of the auction and started to get up and then I sat back down. I thought, what if it's the real deal? It happens, right? So I clicked back into the auction and it still had just a few seconds left. I went for it. I put in a bid I could live with and time was up. I was the winner.

The boxes arrived yesterday via FedEx. I have to say that I honestly thought the boxes would be empty, contain commons, or maybe even some dirty socks. Needless to say when I opened the box and unwrapped everything, I was happily surprised. The boxes seem to be in very good shape. On one of them the tape was actually still sealed. That gave me some hope. Then I opened them slowly and peeked in. Below is what I found. I'm far from an unopened expert but these look legit to me. I really still can't believe it. Do these look good to you? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Craig

#1 - These are 1977-78 and 1978-79 OPC, correct?
#2 - Would the "BBCE premium" be worth the cost to have these authenticated?

Auction Link

Comments

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Wow!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Wow, that's like $2500 in boxes. Yeah, 77 and 78 OPC. It's a shame the run didn't go one more year. Very nice gamble, I would've taken a shot as well.

Lee
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    If you were planning on selling them, I would absolutely send them to Steve to authenticate. You will realize way more than if you sold them "raw" so to speak.

Great buy and it was worth the gamble!! That is an awesome pickup!!!!

Jeremy
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    nice find, eh. get those pups wrapped, pronto! image
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to buy some lottery tickets. Great score!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you were planning on selling them, I would absolutely send them to Steve to authenticate. You will realize way more than if you sold them "raw" so to speak.

Great buy and it was worth the gamble!! That is an awesome pickup!!!!

Jeremy >>

Agree with this!

Great score, beautiful boxes!!
  • Options
    This is from BBCE's website. Current buy prices:

1977/78 OPC Hockey
    Wax Box $900

1978/79 OPC Hockey
    Wax Box $1400

Edit to add:

1979/80 OPC Hockey
    Wax Box $17,000
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    image Very nice!
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 499 ✭✭✭
    TheThrill22 - That's what I said!

CDsNuts - That would have been amazing. By the way, great avatar! Every time I see a post from you I can't keep myself from saying "Get him a body bag" and then doing that guys little weasel laugh!

MantleFan23 - That is most likely what I will do.

itzagoner - Thanks!

LarkinCollector - It has been a while...

MULLINS5 - Thanks! I was actually just looking at that.

blee1 - Thank you!

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Holy......................................................
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    JACKPOT!!!!! Awesome pickup!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Way to go but you gotta feel a little bad for the Atlanta Salvation Army. image
  • Options
    I just contacted them to see if they have anything else they haven't listed and here is the reply:

all ive got left is a box of rack pack baseball cards from 79

- salvationarmyatlantaarc

• Options

<< <i>Way to go but you gotta feel a little bad for the Atlanta Salvation Army. image >>

They're OK with this sort of thing. It's what brings people into stores and keeps their mission alive. I work for Goodwill and we intentionally sell high dollar items very very cheaply in order to increase traffic. Even if the buyer is going to flip it, it still helps the mission and community.

It's Salvation Army's policy to begin auction items at 9.95 and run them.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    What a bargain!!
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig,

That is an unbelievable score! 70's OPC boxes in Atlanta? Unreal.

I've opened boxes from both years and I must say yours look clean as a whistle. They don't seem to exhibit any of the telltale signs of the gum damaging the cards either.

Group rip time????

• Options

<< <i>

Group rip time????

image >>

YESSSSSSSSSSS
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Wow, I'm jealous! I want those.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... I saw this auction near the end and was going to bid but assumed they were empty boxes. Plus they were listed in the "wholesale lots" category. Congrats on the pickup!
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job. That is a very nice pickup! Congrats and enjoy.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Great score. Congrats.

OK guys ... be honest ... how many of you went to look at the other items that eBay seller had for sale?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Great score. Congrats.

OK guys ... be honest ... how many of you went to look at the other items that eBay seller had for sale? >>

I know I did.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

OK guys ... be honest ... how many of you went to look at the other items that eBay seller had for sale? >>

I know I did. >>

Me too!

Craig, that is the score of a lifetime! Way to go!! image
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    They had something else decent not too long ago. I can't remember what it was though. I recall being apprehensive and skeptical about what was left to Salvation Army. However, at the price you got those for, I think most of is may have taken that gamble.

Great Score!

Congrats!
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    WOW. Awesome!
  • Options

yup. and they got something i like which ain't cards.

so thanks for the lead Craig. image
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Amazing. Congrats. Talk about return on investment!
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    Big congrats and thanks for sharing!
  • Options

Guilty as charged.....
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options

<< <i>yup. and they got something i like which ain't cards. >>

I didn't know you played autoharp, Jeff image
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    They have a box of 1984 football wax up for auction as well, but now the secret is out and that box is 300$ already
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an old man's grandkids are cleaning out his house. This will happen to me when I pass. You should follow the LA Salvation Army to catch it when it happens.
    Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>yup. and they got something i like which ain't cards. so thanks for the lead Craig. image >>

Jeff ... you will look FANTASTIC in those Red Rope Wedge Shoes carrying that Pink Kenneth Cole Clutch Purse! LOL

PS. How are your family and you doing?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Craig - great pick!

If you send them to BBCEx and get the "seal of approval?"

Maybe we can attribute it to the crappy FB of the seller with respect to bidders?
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>yup. and they got something i like which ain't cards. so thanks for the lead Craig. image >>

Jeff ... you will look FANTASTIC in those Red Rope Wedge Shoes carrying that Pink Kenneth Cole Clutch Purse! LOL

PS. How are your family and you doing? >>

hmm. to properly accessorize, i believe my advanced fashionista instincts would also need to include that Burberry Dog Collar & Leash. image

and Doug, we're doing alright for now. thanks. image
  • Options
    gregmo32 - Indeed!

RyanAdmirer - Thank you!

addicted2ebay - Nah... They'll be a getting a nice tip!

MULLINS5 - Great info! I bet you see all kinds of things! Anything really crazy or odd?

Stingray - No doubt!

Frozencaribou - Thanks! I appreciate the info! It does make you wonder about the journey that cards take over the years, huh?

Davis - Thanks!

1966CUDA - Thanks! I can't help but wonder how many people had that same exact thought. I did...

JBrules - Thank you!

Dboneesq - Thanks! I never thought about that. I know that 84 Topps Football Box was just over $100 when I made this thread.

LarkinCollector - I've been back a time or 10 myself!

WhiteTornado - Thank you!

vintagefun - Thanks! It makes me want to hit some of the local stores now. I wonder how much cool stuff never hits the floor?

larryallen73 - Thank you!

itzagoner - What is it!? You can't leave us hanging!

esquiresports - No doubt!

dtkk49a - That was just over hundred not long ago.

1970s - There is something about that old gum...

ndleo - Noted!

Stone193 - Thank you! You know, I never checked the feedback now that I think about it. Not enough time. I'm glad it didn't matter this time!
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Nice score.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Also, wow. Congratulations! and thanks for sharing.

I think if I had seen the auction I too would probably have assumed them to be empty or holding something other than what they should have in them.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sold a 84 football wax box last week and have another one listed now.
    James
  • Options
    FINESTKIND - Thank you!

miwlvrn - Thanks! It's nice when it works out.

jfkheat - I wonder what that one went for? $309 for the current auction.

Thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 84 football box sold for $438.
    James