Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP a design that has always been etched in my skull

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've always been mesmerized whenever Cardinal posted his Libertas collage. I find that this design tickles all the right spots for me. As for this Restrike I never knew mirrors could be so deep on a coin. The Apple I Phone pics were taken at arms length.

I also received a Michigan inspired ( alma mater) CRO hat with this beauty but alas no cheerleader. John did tease me as there where holes in the box. I was hoping there were there for air. Nope, just a hat.

MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin!

About 5 years ago, I purchased a 1981 gold Libertas Paris restrike from CRO, it was 1.89 ounces, and it came with the Playmate of the Month from August, 2009.

My, how times have changed!
  • Options

<< <i>Great coin!

About 5 years ago, I purchased a 1981 gold Libertas Paris restrike from CRO, it was 1.89 ounces, and it came with the Playmate of the Month from August, 2009.

My, how times have changed! >>

That's because Dave was in charge of promotions back thenimage

M
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! I think John needs to scrap the Michigan hat for a green and white Sparty hat.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Great coin! I have to buy one some day but the premiums are usually high.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beautiful design! Now ya got me liking this one image Great pick-up my friend!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be happy with the hat as the cheerleader Dave sent me although petite will just collect dust since she won't fit in the curio cabinet image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin! image
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could have pulled the trigger on that one myself. I too have always liked the design. Enjoy!

JH
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats MJ!!

I totally love these! The design is timeless and this particular issue was executed in superb quality.

I have a pair of these myself --

And, just for you, this is the first posting of the newest addition to the Libertas collage -- the Paris Mint restrike in ultra-high relief format:

imageimage
  • Options
    Cardinal!!!!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

And I love the two coin holder as it's one of the rare times the obverse and the reverse are equal in beauty. I have a lot of my coins reserve side up if they merit it.

MJ
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That design is fabulous, cool allegory too. You might want to think about trying to get some late 19th-century Paris mint restrikes (they occasionally surface, including some in gold).
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin indeed.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff in here. Nice work MJ.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great medals MJ and Cardinal.

Love the artistry on these!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply awesmoe
  • Options
    Does anyone know what dies are used to strike these and how are they prepared?

Are they the original dies or new dies? If they are new dies, are they made from new master hubs off original galvanos, off original master hubs, or some other method?

The gold HR looks incredible.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found out that John Kraljevich (Pistareen) has acquired the archive of Augustin Dupre, who created the Libertas medal (and others) and has several items on his website, with more to follow.
    Dupre material
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's etched in a lot of people's skulls.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know what dies are used to strike these and how are they prepared?

Are they the original dies or new dies? If they are new dies, are they made from new master hubs off original galvanos, off original master hubs, or some other method?

The gold HR looks incredible. >>

The original dies were completed in 1783 and used to produce examples in gold, silver and bronze as instructed by Benjamin Franklin, with examples struck perhaps as late 1790. Only two were struck in gold, and neither is known to exist today. The dies were never sent to the U.S. Mint, so our Mint never issued any restrikes of these at all, and no restrikes from the original dies were produced by the Paris Mint either. In fact, the continuing existence of the original dies was unknown until they were discovered in the Paris Mint's archives by John J. Ford in 1958.

Following the rediscovery of the original dies, the Paris Mint has produced several iterations of copy dies, using the original dies as their model, and has issued several iterations of "restrikes" using those copy dies, including the gold restrikes pictured in this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know what dies are used to strike these and how are they prepared?

The gold HR looks incredible. >>

The original dies were completed in 1783 and used to produce examples in gold, silver and bronze as instructed by Benjamin Franklin, with examples struck perhaps as late 1790. Only two were struck in gold, and neither is known to exist today. The dies were never sent to the U.S. Mint, so our Mint never issued any restrikes of these at all, and no restrikes from the original dies were produced by the Paris Mint either. In fact, the continuing existence of the original dies was unknown until they were discovered in the Paris Mint's archives by John J. Ford in 1958.

Following the rediscovery of the original dies, the Paris Mint has produced several iterations of copy dies, using the original dies as their model, and has issued several iterations of "restrikes" using those copy dies, including the gold restrikes pictured in this thread. >>

Thanks for the history Cardinal. It's good to know about the dies at the Paris Mint and their discovery by John J. Ford.

Do you know how the Paris Mint makes the copy dies from the original dies?

For the CHS 1855 Kellogg Slug "restrike", it seems like Ron Landis may have used a pantograph to create the copy dies from the original dies held by the CHS.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beautiful n compelling re-strike cardinal. I remember seeing your double holdered example before, love seeing it again.
    Found one on Ebay if anyone is interested, no affiliation with the seller, a bit out of reach for me.
    link
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I finally ran across my photo:

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad I read this thread.

Classic design

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file