Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morphy/Legend Auction 7% of items didn't sell due to high reserves

I saw that they had quite a few items 14 out of 232 that didn't sell do to not meeting reserve. It seem like a high number compared to the other major auction houses? Does any one know what a common sell through rate is for major auctions?

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not see 7% as unreasonable. However, I did not see the 14 coins or their reserves.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not see 7% as unreasonable. >>

I also don't see 7% as unreasonable.

Is there a target / sweet spot number?
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    I personally think that 7% is a pretty good number given the "boutique" type auction that it is. The real question would be how many lots had reserves? That would be a more telling number.
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are nice coins with potentially high reserves. It was a very good sale by all measures.
  • Options

<< <i>I personally think that 7% is a pretty good number given the "boutique" type auction that it is. The real question would be how many lots had reserves? That would be a more telling number. >>

I thought when I talked with some one at Goldbergs they said that any thing under 98% sell through wasn't good.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a successful endeavor. Kudos. I cannot imagine numbers for Heritage. Probably much higher since the general public has greater expectations for their "wares". I don't suppose "eye appealing, hand picked" inventory can be beat, as for assembling an auction. I wasn't there . Just imagining if I were …. and dreaming.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always possible that the auction house or original consignor ended up as high bidder on some lots too. You never really know.
  • Options
    gypsyleagypsylea Posts: 193 ✭✭

<< <i>It's always possible that the auction house or original consignor ended up as high bidder on some lots too. You never really know. >>

Absolutely true as far as the house is concerned. Sell through rates can be misleading as reserves are a matter of negotiation between the consignors and the house, as is everything else. All told, this seemed like a decent auction.
    Collector since adolescent days in the early 1960's. Mostly inactive now, but I enjoy coin periodicals and books and coin shows as health permits.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a coin doesn't sell because of an unrealistically high reserve, what fee does the auction house typically charge the consignor?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I personally think that 7% is a pretty good number given the "boutique" type auction that it is. The real question would be how many lots had reserves? That would be a more telling number. >>

I thought when I talked with some one at Goldbergs they said that any thing under 98% sell through wasn't good. >>

Then isn't that the answer your looking for ? Why ask people here that have never ran an auction ?
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what they were selling, I think 7% is reasonable.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Actually, it's better than 7%.....it's 6%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a stupid thread. Seems obvious to me that they didn't sell due to low bids...

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, if you do the math, the sell-through rate was 93.965% which strikes me as closer to 6% that did not sell rather than 7% (unless you went to a school that taught an unusual method of rounding numbers).

Anyway, I tend to agree with Bruce's comment. With a boutique sale of just high-end material, that is a very good sell-through rate. Remember, with the larger auction houses, the sell-through rate is bolstered by a sizable number of group lots that are "no returns for any reason".

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    You guys are over thinking this. The only measure of an auction house to collectors other than customer service is their coins, quality and quantity of them. Sell through rates and prices achieved are more metrics that matter to consigners which lure the good coins to the house. If they have the coins the collectors will show up.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a coin doesn't sell because of an unrealistically high reserve, what fee does the auction house typically charge the consignor? >>

Typically, 2%.
    If the auction house doesn't charge this fee, then it's not really an auction, but rather an advertisement to sell.
  • Options
    Of the three US Large cents in the sale,
    Lot 2 1798 S-179 PCGS MS64BN CAC did not sell
    Lot 3 1837 Medium letters PCGS 66RB CAC (ex: Joshua and Ally Walsh) sold for $1500 less than its last public sale in 2008 ($8250 vs $9775).
    Lot 4 1851 PCGS MS64RD CAC (ex: Naftzger) sold for $655 less than it brought in the Naftzger sale in 2009 ($2900 vs $3555).

I don't know if it is just this small sample of coins or what, but typically examples from the Naftzger, Holmes and Husak sales have been recently bringing higher prices than they originally sold for circa 2008-9.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Of the three US Large cents in the sale,
    Lot 3 1837 Medium letters PCGS 66RB CAC (ex: Joshua and Ally Walsh) sold for $1500 less than its last public sale in 2008 ($8250 vs $9775).
    Lot 4 1851 PCGS MS64RD CAC (ex: Naftzger) sold for $655 less than it brought in the Naftzger sale in 2009 ($2900 vs $3555).

I don't know if it is just this small sample of coins or what, but typically examples from the Naftzger, Holmes and Husak sales have been recently bringing higher prices than they originally sold for circa 2008-9. >>

I don't think you realize that the prices posted don't include the buyer's fee
  • Options

<< <i>

I don't know if it is just this small sample of coins or what, but typically examples from the Naftzger, Holmes and Husak sales have been recently bringing higher prices than they originally sold for circa 2008-9. >>

I don't think you realize that the prices posted don't include the buyer's fee >>

Oh dayum my whole post is incorrect.
    Nevermind.
  • Options
    93-94% is actually a really good sell-through rate. When taking consignments, auctions houses would love to have 100% sell-through but that requires consignors to sell lots without reserves which is scary, and very risky. A reasonable percentage of coins failing to meet reserves indicates that the auction company is working with the consignors to find the right balance of fair reserve / sell-through on the consignments. This is a very difficult balance.
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with DL with regards to looking out for the consignors.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I thought when I talked with some one at Goldbergs they said that any thing under 98% sell through wasn't good. >>

Goldbergs must be a fantastic auction house to target 98% and higher. I recall some of the major auctions in 2009 where 30-50% of the better choice/gem PF/MS 19th century didn't sell.
    I think anything above 90% is a pretty darn good sell through rate. Even on a lot that doesn't sell the house might still make money on the buy back fee. What really matters is how well the auction
    house did on the entire auction (net profit vs. total costs). Sell through rate is one part of that. On really cool lots the auction house will often bend a bit to offer the consignor a better rate and a better
    minimum reserve (usually with no buy back fee as well). They want these coins in the sale to generate some buzz. Even if they don't sell, they did their job in generating more interest in the sale. Now when
    every 2nd or 3rd lot fails to sell that's a problem. When dealers consign stale or slow moving inventory to auctions I'd bet they'd be ecstatic to see 75% of those coins sell.

I recall watching one particular dealer consignment from 2003-2005 where it took up to 5 auctions to sell all of those coins. And no doubt those guys had a 0% buy back. Dealer coins that don't sell probably
    out-number collector coins. I might be wrong but I see Goldbergs as more of collector-oriented firm vs. the big boyz that take in a large % of dealer consignments. Maybe 98% to Goldbergs is low if they are
    very strict in setting tight reserves (or no reserves). One doesn't necessarily have to have no reserves to get a 100% sell through rate. If the consignors were to agree to reserves set right around the wholesale
    bid levels a sell through rate of >99% might be achievable. Goldbergs doesn't have the retail boutique presence in the market that Legend does. So I suspect that purchases from Legend that are consigned back to
    them have to factor in the price the consignor paid. This probably makes the reserve setting more sensitive so feelings don't get hurt or customers aren't lost. Still, factoring that in, a 93-94% sell through rate seems
    quite strong.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I agree.

From what I know about coin auctions, a 93% sell through rate is outstanding. If that is the case, Legend Auctions is to be commended.

By the way, there is someone who posts on these boards as "DaveW" .

That is fine and dandy, but that is not me.

I am DaveWcoins on the PCGS (and NGC, for that matter) boards.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    I was just thinking if these are "hand picked" lots why doesn't Legend place bids on each coin at there buy prices so every coin sells. It might be a unique marketing approach to tell a consigner that we don't allow reserves but we place a wholesale bid on every lot as a back stop. Just an idea. I thought David Lawrence did that on there auctions.
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    A 6.1% no sale rate sounds very good to me. I have seen much higher no sale rates in several sales by the bigger auction houses.
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't think you realize that the prices posted don't include the buyer's fee >>

Oh dayum my whole post is incorrect.
    Nevermind. >>

Yes it is important to note that the Prices Realized on our website represents the hammer prices and does not include the 17.5% Buyer's Premium.
  • Options

<< <i>93-94% is actually a really good sell-through rate. When taking consignments, auctions houses would love to have 100% sell-through but that requires consignors to sell lots without reserves which is scary, and very risky. A reasonable percentage of coins failing to meet reserves indicates that the auction company is working with the consignors to find the right balance of fair reserve / sell-through on the consignments. This is a very difficult balance. >>

A very important note from Mr. Feigenbaum!
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I am a potential consignor then I don't care about the total with the buyer's juice added. I want to know what the piece actually hammers for, as that is what my seller fees would be based upon.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My impression was that those were very good results. You also need to remember that some auction houses are buying coins from their own auctions if they are selling low. Some coins are cycled and appear to sell, but then reappear at another auction at the same firm six months to a year later. These are actually kept back in the Auction house because they did not meet some target. I think its tough to tell exactly what the sell though rate is sometimes. Reserves of course are to protect consignors' interest.

The 6% not meeting reserve is very reasonable for almost exclusively high grade material. I think the large cents did cell for higher prices (you need to include the 17.5% buyers fee). Sometimes the buyers fee is shared with the consignor on higher value, high quality material, or when a large amount of material is consigned together.

Its remarkable to me to see Legend get a foothold in such a competitive landscape with Heritage, Goldberg and Stacks Bowers. The trends have been consolidation and fewer auctions companies over the past 10 to 15 years.
  • Options
    Prices Realized have now been adjusted to include Buyer's Premium. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Options

<< <i>If I am a potential consignor then I don't care about the total with the buyer's juice added. I want to know what the piece actually hammers for, as that is what my seller fees would be based upon. >>

With most consignments of $10-$20K or more there are no "seller's" fees unless you don't try to negotiate them to 0%. What you get for your coins STARTS from the hammer price and goes up. You should care
    very much about the buyer's fee juice added as some of that should go back into your pocket. What a coin truly sells for (FMV or hammer+juice) is the only thing that matters. Could you imagine price guides being based
    on hammer price? As a consignor, both fees come out of your pocket. It's your job to know about both of them and to make them as small as possible. When I look at how I did on a consignment, I take the final price
    realized and divide it by what I was paid. That's my net commission....and it's the only thing that matters. Ideally that comes out to be around 87-92%. That's the same basic range I've been paid in over the past 25 years.
    They can maneuver the fees any which way they like. But as long as I end up in that net 87-92% range it's probably fair. If your name is Pogue, Newman, or Gardner, I suspect you can do a lot better than that.
  • Options

<< <i>Prices Realized have now been adjusted to include Buyer's Premium. Sorry for any confusion. >>

I just checked their site, this is correct. I find it amazing that one or two comments regarding this issue, and within a few hours, their website is corrected (!).

Compare to the months of grumbling about the (dyfunctional) Stack's-Bowers site. I don't even go there anymore, it's just too frustrating.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Prices Realized have now been adjusted to include Buyer's Premium. Sorry for any confusion. >>

I just checked their site, this is correct. I find it amazing that one or two comments regarding this issue, and within a few hours, their website is corrected (!).

Compare to the months of grumbling about the (dyfunctional) Stack's-Bowers site. I don't even go there anymore, it's just too frustrating. >>

We aim to please!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summer doldrums maybe. image
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should care very much about the buyer's fee juice added as some of that should go back into your pocket.

Interesting. We have of course bought tons from various venues over the years but have not consigned anything to a major house in a very long time (frankly we can usually either sell nicer stuff in house or flip to someone who needs it). Is it common for bigger houses to kick back some of the buyer's fee to the consignor? I know smaller guys that won't.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>You should care very much about the buyer's fee juice added as some of that should go back into your pocket.

Interesting. We have of course bought tons from various venues over the years but have not consigned anything to a major house in a very long time (frankly we can usually either sell nicer stuff in house or flip to someone who needs it). Is it common for bigger houses to kick back some of the buyer's fee to the consignor? I know smaller guys that won't. >>

Yes, it is the norm to kick back some of the buyer's fee to most consignments of $10K-$20K for most auction venues (though for summer ANA standards are much tighter). I haven't consigned anything since 2011 but at that
    time you could get 0% sellers premium and 2-3 % of the buyer's fee back on most any decent consignment. On my last two consignments I got 4.5% to 6.5% above hammer (or about 1/3 of the BF refunded +0% sellers). I
    also had fairly tight reserves and had zero % buy backs as well. Even if you have a fairly small consignment you might be able to pool with another dealer who routinely brings together smaller consignments and gets better rates
    for those people....while earning a couple % for their efforts. If you're paying the entire 17.5% BF today, then you're net commission is 14.9%. If an auction house can always fill up every sale with great stuff there is certainly
    no incentive to offer BF kickbacks to common or generic stuff. Heritage seems to get the lion's share of stuff. That made Stacks-Bowers and others very aggressive in their rate offerings. Before they merged, they were
    basically cutting each other's throat bidding for the same consignments. So that's one area they've improved in.
  • Options
    I think the boutique idea is a great place for them to fill in the market basically taking the place that Stacks had before the merged with Bowers. I just look at items that don't sell as a negative reflection on the auction house. They should put up your own money on the line and place a wholesale bid and if the consigner won't let it be listed at that price with the upside of an auction maybe it’s time to pass on the consignment.

• Options

<< <i>I think the boutique idea is a great place for them to fill in the market basically taking the place that Stacks had before the merged with Bowers. I just look at items that don't sell as a negative reflection on the auction house. They should put up your own money on the line and place a wholesale bid and if the consigner won't let it be listed at that price with the upside of an auction maybe it’s time to pass on the consignment. >>

We don't know the specifics of these lots that did not reach reserve. They could have been owned by the auction house, and the reserve is the minimum they would sell them for.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the boutique idea is a great place for them to fill in the market basically taking the place that Stacks had before the merged with Bowers. I just look at items that don't sell as a negative reflection on the auction house. They should put up your own money on the line and place a wholesale bid and if the consigner won't let it be listed at that price with the upside of an auction maybe it’s time to pass on the consignment. >>

We don't know the specifics of these lots that did not reach reserve. They could have been owned by the auction house, and the reserve is the minimum they would sell them for. >>

Legend denotes a "L" in the catalog description on the coins they own.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    using an ( obtuse) analogy from Real Estate

If occupancy rate = Sell thru rate, some may argue 100% is better than 94%.

however those in the real estate industry may tell you that if you have 100% occupancy - chances are your rents are
    too low.

so, what does a 100% sell thru rate mean?

BT&C
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really do not understand how the "rates" can mean anything, when they can be so easily manipulated with a so-called sale. I won't mention names, but have noted fair numbers of coins that have continued to turn over at other venues & apparently counted as sales - NOT Legend by the way & have no idea of their practices, nor is it my business.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>using an ( obtuse) analogy from Real Estate

If occupancy rate = Sell thru rate, some may argue 100% is better than 94%.

however those in the real estate industry may tell you that if you have 100% occupancy - chances are your rents are
    too low.

so, what does a 100% sell thru rate mean? >>

Not the same as, at an auction, it really would only mean that the consignors/auction house(s) set reasonable minimums and that the market decided the coins were worth that price, or more, as people don't pay more for rent than the ask, but in an auction, people do pay more than the minimum - quite often.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually i think it is more honest for an auction house NOT to bid on a lot in lieu of a disclosed reserve.

Such bidding by an auctioneer would mean that the auctioneer is then competing with their own auction bidders?
    Not a recipe for long term success.

I am glad that Legend has refrained from such bidding. I am sure there might be exceptions such as bidding on behalf of a client?
    Other accepted exceptions?

By the way, I have always thought that a sell through rate of 90% or more was one of the signs of a successful auction?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>Actually i think it is more honest for an auction house NOT to bid on a lot in lieu of a disclosed reserve.

Such bidding by an auctioneer would mean that the auctioneer is then competing with their own auction bidders?

I am glad that Legend has refrained from such bidding. I am sure there might be exceptions such as bidding on behalf of a client?

By the way, I have always thought that a sell through rate of 90% or more was one of the signs of a successful auction? >>

I'm pretty sure Legend is competing with you on the lots in their sale. I think they mentioned that they would be bidding on coins in the sale as well. I think this was part of their business model for the auction.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I bet Morphy's sell through % is way better than ebay's.............. image

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    gypsyleagypsylea Posts: 193 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually i think it is more honest for an auction house NOT to bid on a lot in lieu of a disclosed reserve.

By the way, I have always thought that a sell through rate of 90% or more was one of the signs of a successful auction? >>

I'm pretty sure Legend is competing with you on the lots in their sale. I think they mentioned that they would be bidding on coins in the sale as well. I think this was part of their business model for the auction. >>

Not sure what your issues are, but every auction house in any collectible field that I know of reserves the right to bid in their own auctions. Hardly any business plan that is unique to Legend. The idea that lots did not sell because reserves were too high is not necessarily true either. Back in the 90's, I consigned a couple of dozen slabbed coins to B & M and set reserves at 20-25% below sheet. Two did not sell. They offered to roll them over to the next auction, I agreed and both lots brought a fair amount over my reserve. The market had not visibly changed in the meantime. Who knows why?
    Collector since adolescent days in the early 1960's. Mostly inactive now, but I enjoy coin periodicals and books and coin shows as health permits.
  • Options
    Some or most auction houses certainly use their auctions as a source to buy coins. It's probably one of the juiciest areas for them to find upgrades/crosses. I consistently see coins pop up 3-6 months later in a follow on
    auction that you just know the house purchased and upgraded. It's all part of a logical business plan.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some or most auction houses certainly use their auctions as a source to buy coins. It's probably one of the juiciest areas for them to find upgrades/crosses. I consistently see coins pop up 3-6 months later in a follow on
    auction that you just know the house purchased and upgraded. It's all part of a logical business plan. >>

As a consignor to many coin auctions each year, I think this is a terrific practice. I would encourage all auction houses to bid on coins in their own auctions. More bids means more competition for my coins and higher overall prices realized for me and the other consignors to that sale.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file