Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA Money Museum Visit - (FINAL PICS ADDED)

BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭
First off: Let me advise you....no, TELL YOU to never, never, never EVER go to the ANA Money Museum with anyone who does not appreciate coins at your same level or higher. Because what happens is no matter how interested they say they are or appear to be, it wears off! You then find yourself 6 steps through Harry Bass' collection and everyone's ready to go. So then I was like, DANG, I forgot to take pictures!
SO, with my apologies, these were taken quite quickly. I tried to catch the light to show some of the toning on well toned pieces. That is why some coins are at an extreme angle. Also, the lighting on the 1913 5c and the 2 1804's aren't great for photography. It was tough. But then again, my party was yanking me to the door.....the joke's on them though. At that point I told them that there was also a downstairs. HA!
There were 3 things that didn't sit right with me about my visit.
1. I didn't see any security. Maybe the place is locked up tighter than Fort Knox, but I couldn't tell. Worries me.....
2. With all the Pattern pieces, there were no Judd #s given. For a numismatic museum, I found that quite surprising. The display cards don't even have the metal the coins were made of! So, I guessed on a couple of the pieces based on toning and rarity # that was given. It would also help to state if there is any significance to the edge; IE reeded, lettered, etc.
3. Bummer that you can't see the reverses of coins on the walls.

ENJOY! Also, GO. The place is wonderful and I had a great time. The nice lady at the door was very informative.

Forgot to photograph the year and denomination

J-100 Silver

WOW

1854 1c, J-163 Copper R6

1836 2c, J-55a or 55b, both R7 in Copper-Nickel

1836 2c, J-55 R7 Copper

1896 1c, J-1768 Bronze R5 (museum says R6)

1896 5c, J-1772 Aluminum R6

1854 1c, J-161 Bronze(maybe copper J-160) R4

1863 2c, J-312 Bronze R4

1871 10c, J-1075 or J-1078 both R7

1863 25c, J-336 Copper R7

Should I stop? Too many pictures? I think I'll split it into 2 parts.......

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file