Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jefferson Nickel Find - Bummer!! New Pics

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭
Wow, what a bummer! Found this in a roll, this was the only one, pretty nice obverse, but has a banged up reverse! Someone please help make me feel better!

imageimage

imageimage

Oh for those that may not know, this is the Cherry Pickers FS-37.3 (1963 TDR FS801). There are only 7 graded to date.

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Find...............all's I found yesterday was a 43P war nick in a coinstar.........nah no double eye and its not a 43/2 image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    With only 7 graded to date I don't think you should feel too bad about the dings on the reverse. They're not horrible.image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Great find regardless of the condition!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Put it in an album and call the marks on the revers adjustment marks. That is a great find no matter what!
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is one like that worth?
  • Options
    You all are helping a little. It will look nice in my raw set. It's probably better that it will not grade, so I can keep it there!
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    It could be worse. It could be MINE. hehe
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I like the notching on the foot of the M, it made 3 nice steps image
    Ed
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    feel better?

You still have a nickel
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get it slabbed anyway - it will be genuine, but authenticated. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With only 7 graded to date I don't think you should feel too bad about the dings on the reverse. They're not horrible.image >>

you have the required information to attribute this one from those small images when there are 94 ddr listed for the year/mm????

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Awesome find. I love any "triple die'. Isn't the 43/2 an under rated coin?image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    LanceN,
    There may be 94 DDRs but only a few are business strikes! There is only one that looks like this! I never look at the 1963 proofs, as I do not even want to find one, then I will have to look for the other 90!
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    Cool fine, I need to learn about those nickels but so far I haven't taken the time to study them.
    Bob

• Options

<< <i>LanceN,
    There may be 94 DDRs but only a few are business strikes! There is only one that looks like this! I never look at the 1963 proofs, as I do not even want to find one, then I will have to look for the other 90! >>

tyvm. quite an oversight on my part. image

LMAO @ have to look for the other 90

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Big Dog........it is still a cool variety and you have one! Maybe someday you will find a 65FS, but for now you have one.image
  • Options
    DIMEMAN,

I'm gunning for that MS65FS someday! Hey, if you don't look, you will never find! I'm still looking!
  • Options
    Is there a post on how to post those BIG pictures? I need to learn and get that set-up. I'm still limited by the 50KBs PCGS upload has to offer.
  • Options
    I will have to share this one! It helps a little with my TDR bummer!

• Options
    Great find!
    Numismatist, Alhambra Coin Center

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• Options
    LanceN..........here is number 94!!!!!
  • Options
    I was going to ask if it was a tdr nice findcare so much more happyer nows that it be one ha lol
  • Options
    gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Hey all. Please excuse my ignorance, but I was just curious as to what the importance is with this coin? I'm obviously over looking something because to my untrained eye it looks like a normal business strike. I only ask as I have 2 1963 Jefferson Nickels in very good condition. It would be cool to know that they're actually worth something. Thanks
  • Options
    Gar,
    Both of these coins are varieties sought out by Jefferson collectors. The first coin is listed in the Cherry Pickers Variety Guide and one of the varieties attributed by PCGS. There are only 7 graded to date. The second one pictured is the discovery coin for a new Doubled Die Reverse variety. If you have a couple 1963s in good shape and not a variety, don't hesitate to use them in a vending machine to buy a bag of chips.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you have been working hard on your Nickel set and it is important to you, but the fact that there are "only 7 graded to date" speaks more to a lack of collecting interest than it does to the scarcity of the Variety. limited to a single reverse Die I suppose the number struck should be in the tens of thousands and would suspect that there are probably unsearched bags/rolls which contain multiples of the coin. I recall a member who posted that he found almost half a roll of 1949-D/S, maybe it was Sean. that isn't out of the realm of possibility with this when you consider how many unsearched coins there probably are.

working against finding those coins is the simple fact that there aren't many looking. working in your favor is the fact that the coins will probably stay intact until you find them. if this was a Silver issue from the same year the odds would be stacked against you.

on the lighter side of things, how are your eyes holding up??image
  • Options

<< <i>LanceN..........here is number 94!!!!! >>

nice. i enjoy seeing the initial pieces!

• Options
    gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info BigDowgie. And for your suggestion with what to do with my nickels..... Which is what I normally do with any nickel I get, but the strikes I have look so much better than business that I decided to keep them. Oh well, one bag o' chips coming up!

Looks like I may need to buy a copy of "Cherry Pickers Variety Guide" so I know what to keep an eye out for.......
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was going to ask if it was a tdr nice findcare so much more happyer nows that it be one ha lol >>

John, is this sentence some form of coded message?? lol It sounds like a description from a Chinese seller!! lol
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the info BigDowgie. And for your suggestion with what to do with my nickels..... Which is what I normally do with any nickel I get, but the strikes I have look so much better than business that I decided to keep them. Oh well, one bag o' chips coming up!

Looks like I may need to buy a copy of "Cherry Pickers Variety Guide" so I know what to keep an eye out for....... >>

Everyone should have a copy of The Cherry Picker's Guide. Too many treasures out there.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Keets, you are right on that there should be many, many, many others of almost every variety! I have a very well struck MS64 in my set and actually another (not this one) very late die state example. So logically, there would be a bunch of coins struck in-between. This is what keeps me looking. Where are they? I want an MS65FS example!

For all that do not have the Cherry Pickers Guide, you need both Volumes, 1 & 2. We all can't just have Volume 1 with the Jefferson Nickels!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would wonder how many of the date/mm were actually placed into circulation?? the Nickel is sort of an obscure coin in circulation, not used much and not paid much attention. if you add to that the subtle nature of the Variety and the lapse between the date of issue and discovery I would imagine many were lost, perhaps the bulk of the struck coins if circumstances were right(and the planets aligned!!). although PAC was active in the 1960's there weren't many Jefferson collectors until the past 10-15 years, probably spurred on by the design change which made the earlier coins interesting.

the aspect of Jefferson Nickels which has always fascinated me is the long continuation of the design with only the addition of the mm on the obverse. that means that for all intents and purposes a 1938 in circulation looks like a 1968 which looks like a 1998. not so with the Cent, Dime or Quarter which are pretty obvious regarding a 1940's era coin with a 1980's era coin. this accounts for the fact that it's still possible to do a circ set from change with the exception of the obvious War Nickels and a couple keys.

logic tells me(though perhaps with only a whisper in my ear) that somewhere out there is a $200 Mint Sealed Bag of 1963 Jefferson Nickels, and it contains your sought after MS65FS example mixing with a few hundred of his brethren.image
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, what a bummer! Found this in a roll, this was the only one, pretty nice obverse, but has a banged up reverse! Someone please help make me feel better!

Oh for those that may not know, this is the Cherry Pickers FS-37.3 (1963 TDR FS801). There are only 7 graded to date. >>

Would you rather have not found it? image

Nice find - I would be very happy to have found it. Owning the 8th known example of anything would be quite pleasing to me even if not top grade.

Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file