Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gardner Collection open for bidding

swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
Now open for bidding at HA.com, the Gardner Collection Part I, including everything from half cents to silver dollars.

More about the collection

View the lots here
Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
mailto:stewarth@HA.com
------------------------------------------
Heritage Auctions
Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
Heritage Auctions

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine any scenario involving *not* sending the coins to CAC. Unless they were CAC'ed to begin with, of course.
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Where is the 1845-O seated dime in PCGS MS69 that is listed in the description? I would like to see that piece!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No sticker on the MS 68 Wreath Cent in the OGH.....must be real dreck image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No sticker on the MS 68 Wreath Cent in the OGH.....must be real dreck image >>

The coins were bought based on their quality and less on the holder or assigned grade. I don't know how many different advisors Gene used in his search of different series. But, the guy that was consulting on choice and gem seated coins for him at auction was one of the top grading eyes in the business for >25 years. They paid what the coins were worth (or less if they could). Unfortunately, in today's world the holder and a sticker now mean more than they really should. The MS68 wreath cent will bring what it's worth (and probably more). If the 1845-0 MS69 dime is not in this sale, it should be in one of the future ones. That probably won't get a sticker either....not that it matters any. image

For those interested in stats. Out of 631 PCGS and NGC coins, 55% of them have stickers. Out of the 408 PCGS coins in this session, 278 stickered (68%). Out of the 223 NGC coins, 69 stickered (31%). Interpret those results as you will. When the best available shows up you buy it in the holder and grade it shows up in. If the Eliasberg coins in their post-auction slab grades were reviewed at CAC today, I'd bet the results wouldn't be as high as this. It's a different ball game when buying specific dates and mints over a wide spectrum rather than just "type" coins.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    "Out of the 408 PCGS coins in this session, 278 stickered (68%). Out of the 223 NGC coins, 69 stickered (31%)".

Interesting stats. The Newman patterns were graded by NGC and then sent to CAC just prior to the sale in early 2013. 96 out of 141 (68%) CACed.
    Ed
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spectacular.
    No doubt MrHalfDime is there for lot viewing!
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some really nice proof dollars in there, but do they look charcoal black like the slab images, or beautiful bright neon blue or similar, like the coin images?

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> "Out of the 408 PCGS coins in this session, 278 stickered (68%). Out of the 223 NGC coins, 69 stickered (31%)".

Interesting stats. The Newman patterns were graded by NGC and then sent to CAC just prior to the sale in early 2013. 96 out of 141 (68%) CACed. >>

I believe that NGC is balancing their normal standards with wanting to get a sticker. Therefore collections graded now would get a higher percentage than a random assemblage of past collections already tried for crossover. The statistics above support that view.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The big money boys should be having a field day with the Gardner collection, unless they insist on PCGS.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link.

Simply amazing quality and eye appeal.
    BT&C
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an amazing collection. But due to the quality of the coins and the premiums that will be paid for the pedigree, I don't think I'll pay much attention to the sale, as I will be priced out.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where is the 1845-O seated dime in PCGS MS69 that is listed in the description? I would like to see that piece! >>

There will be 4 auctions, and not all the "big" coins will be in the first auction on June 23.

See the tab "The Complete Gardner Collection and when each coin is being offered":
    http://coins.ha.com/information/eugene-h-gardner-collection-of-rare-coins-complete-coin-list.s
    1845-O MS69 PCGS. Auction 1228: Second Quarter 2015
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that NGC is balancing their normal standards with wanting to get a sticker. Therefore collections graded now would get a higher percentage than a random assemblage of past collections already tried for crossover. The statistics above support that view.

Nonsense. Virtually any collection of NGC coins, whenever it was graded, will get a higher percentage of CAC approvals today if the collection was not first stripped of crossovers and upgrades.

In other words, while it may be true that NGC has tightened, the case remains to be proved.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe that NGC is balancing their normal standards with wanting to get a sticker. Therefore collections graded now would get a higher percentage than a random assemblage of past collections already tried for crossover. The statistics above support that view.

Nonsense. Virtually any collection of NGC coins, whenever it was graded, will get a higher percentage of CAC approvals today if the collection was not first stripped of crossovers and upgrades.

In other words, while it may be true that NGC has tightened, the case remains to be proved. >>

You hear what you hear, I hear what I hear ...but I would never call something you said 'nonsense'.

I have reason to believe that NGC is indeed trying to grade large fresh collections with CAC in mind.
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stewart isn't it true that all coins were sent to CAC? That is my understanding anyway. >>

I believe they were.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions

Leave a Comment