Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cassie McFarland signed HOF insert

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did PCGS have her sign all 750,000 halfs? She has the worst signature ever outside out the medical field.

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Watch the population report for total signed. Each signed label will have it's own line in the report.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No.
    Watch the population report for total signed. Each signed label will have it's own line in the report. >>

I was meaning to be sarcastic. I know she didn't sign all 750k.
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

• JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    Just so I'm clear, the labels with her signature were actually signed by her? Not an "authorized facsimile"?
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is that? A slab with no grade with a nobody's signature?image
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sig is precisely why I still pay bills via old skool checks - to keep my non-painting signature skills up. That is horrible, she must use online billpay.
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just so I'm clear, the labels with her signature were actually signed by her? Not an "authorized facsimile"? >>

Yes that is a real signature. NGC has the facsimile ones. PCGS will soon have ones with real signatures from baseball players.

Expect these to be very expensive.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may see if PCGS would holder a signed coin as such if I have her sign one at the LB show.
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>She has the worst signature ever outside out the medical field. >>

Nah, she just had to have signed her name a LOT.

Back in high school, I got a part time job in a camera store, working in shipping and receiving. The owner had about a dozen shops through the city and suburbs, and all merchandise came though this place before being redistributed to the satellite stores. So I ended up signing my name about 75-100 times per day.

In a matter of two years, my sig went from nice and cursively readable to a scrawl that you could put on paper really fast. It's still like that today. It was actually a problem when I went to close out a bank account when I was in college. I signed the card, and they compared the two, and said they didn't match. I had to ask them to let me try again. Thank goodness they had photo-id's by that time. image
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awful.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just so I'm clear, the labels with her signature were actually signed by her? Not an "authorized facsimile"? >>

Yes that is a real signature. NGC has the facsimile ones. PCGS will soon have ones with real signatures from baseball players.

Expect these to be very expensive. >>

Will one in ten labels come in silver foil and one in a hundred come in gold foil? Maybe they could do one of those prismatic labels. Maybe they could include a stick of gum with every order, and put some wax on the last slab in the box they send you!

Okay, sorry. I'll stop now.

I suspect fans of those individual players are the intended audience, with crossover from the baseball autograph collectors. There are a great many fakes out there, so I suppose PCGS is not only authenticating the coin, but the signature as well. And I guess you'll have to modify the phrase to "Buy the coin and not the label unless it's autographed by a Baseball Hall of Famer..."
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very popular commemorative with the slab signed by the artist will be a hot item as long as the signatures are the real thing.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Expect these to be very expensive. >>

Will one in ten labels come in silver foil and one in a hundred come in gold foil? Maybe they could do one of those prismatic labels. Maybe they could include a stick of gum with every order, and put some wax on the last slab in the box they send you!

Okay, sorry. I'll stop now.

I suspect fans of those individual players are the intended audience, with crossover from the baseball autograph collectors. There are a great many fakes out there, so I suppose PCGS is not only authenticating the coin, but the signature as well. And I guess you'll have to modify the phrase to "Buy the coin and not the label unless it's autographed by a Baseball Hall of Famer..." >>

Sorry too say this is exactly why I am losing interest in Commemoratives.image
    More interest in the label than the coin.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love how you excepted the medical profession.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, now with an electronic medical record, illegible hand writing is a thing of the past. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Signing as much as I did on a few real estate transactions has led me to people that judge how much people sign by how legible their signature is.

My father used to autograph a few pages per day and his signature was letter-for-letter perfectly legible each and every time.

He had a stroke on the writing where I found it easier to try to copy my mother's less legible, but still legible, signature.

And for people providing real autographs, I've always thought it a security feature that they sign one way for autographs and another for personal and formal use. Perhaps the signatory scrawled for a reason.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay extra for that haphazard, lazy, squiggly line. image It looks like she initialed rather than signed it!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Whoa. I just saw a picture of Cassie on a Long Beach Information email and she'll be signing autographs at the Long Beach Show in June.

I might just drive down there, buy a HOF coin, and see if she'll autograph the slab!

All, of course, because I am a pig and she's a babe!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whoa. I just saw a picture of Cassie on a Long Beach Information email and she'll be signing autographs at the Long Beach Show in June.

I might just drive down there, buy a HOF coin, and see if she'll autograph the slab!

image >>

She reminds me of a young Elvira Mistress of the Dark from the tv show in the 70's.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    All these autographs are beginning of the end for modern commems!!! It truly is the "baseballcardization" of coins.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All these autographs are beginning of the end for modern commems!!! It truly is the "baseballcardization" of coins. >>

However, with choice classic US coins increasingly out of the price range for many collectors this may be the wave of the future.
    All glory is fleeting.

<< <i>All these autographs are beginning of the end for modern commems!!! It truly is the "baseballcardization" of coins. >>

I shall ever be known as the "Cassie Effect"
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

However, with choice classic US coins increasingly out of the price range for many collectors this may be the wave of the future. >>

I don't think you have seen the asking price of these coins!!! 5k+ asking prices for a autographed Ripken or Frank Thomas insert on a PCGS grades Gold commems. A $1500 coin and a $100 player autograph= 5k asking price? You can buy a pretty rare, high grade classic commem for that kind of $$. eBay 5k commem
  • JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    Only problem with the idea of her signing coins is. . . will the mint have released any more coins by then!?!?

Ya, can kinda see the Elvira thing.

• << <i>

I don't think you have seen the asking price of these coins!!! 5k+ asking prices for a autographed Ripken or Frank Thomas insert on a PCGS grades Gold commems. A $1500 coin and a $100 player autograph= 5k asking price? You can buy a pretty rare, high grade classic commem for that kind of $$. eBay 5k commem >>

…but one just sold on the bay with Reggie Jackson's autograph for $3K! (best offer)
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I shall ever be known as the "Cassie Effect" >>

I coined the term baseballcardization in 2009 (or earlier). It referred to the proliferation of labeling and packaging options, akin to baseball cards in the late 1980's, when it became increasingly difficult to keep up with all of the options.

I think that we finally have convergence of baseballcardization with coins now that we have the HOF players autographing slab tags. The shark has been officially jumped, IMO.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't think you have seen the asking price of these coins!!! 5k+ asking prices for a autographed Ripken or Frank Thomas insert on a PCGS grades Gold commems. A $1500 coin and a $100 player autograph= 5k asking price? You can buy a pretty rare, high grade classic commem for that kind of $$. eBay 5k commem >>

…but one just sold on the bay with Reggie Jackson's autograph for $3K! (best offer) >>

They are available for $275 on Lccoins I think.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I shall ever be known as the "Cassie Effect" >>

I coined the term baseballcardization in 2009 (or earlier). It referred to the proliferation of labeling and packaging options, akin to baseball cards in the late 1980's, when it became increasingly difficult to keep up with all of the options.

I think that we finally have convergence of baseballcardization with coins now that we have the HOF players autographing slab tags. The shark has been officially jumped, IMO. >>

I can see the cross over interest here where a collector or non-coin collector would want to have a Cal Ripken Jr. signed insert for the coin which he/she may choose to acquire.

To me the First Strike, blah blah crap is baseballcardization as the term was originally intended. Purely hyped up and manufactured rarity which has no crossover appeal nor intrinsic value to the collector.

• << <i>

…but one just sold on the bay with Reggie Jackson's autograph for $3K! (best offer) >>

They are available for $275 on Lccoins I think. >>

NO way….I call bull $hit...raw gold is over $1200 with NO grading and/or signature.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

<< <i>

<< <i>

NO way….I call bull $hit...raw gold is over $1200 with NO grading and/or signature. >>

sorry, meant the halfs
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Whoa. I just saw a picture of Cassie on a Long Beach Information email and she'll be signing autographs at the Long Beach Show in June.

image >>

Considering that it takes a fair amount of success to partake in this hobby, and success in turns typically brings around the opposite sex. I am always amazed how my fellow hobbyist get spun up by avg/just about any females. Maybe it is the nerd effect image
  • ChiSaoChiSao Posts: 134

<< <i>

image >>

Considering that it takes a fair amount of success to partake in this hobby, and success in turns typically brings around the opposite sex. I am always amazed how my fellow hobbyist get spun up by avg/just about any females. Maybe it is the nerd effect image >>

This female is not avg - she's a hottie. You can tell her I said that... image

Definitely not the nerd effect here... LOL

Alex
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    If you check the PCGS population reports, there were a large number of HOF silver proof (1,700+) and uncirculated (2,000+)silver dollars that were graded PCGS First Strike with the Cass McFarland signature.

These may have been done for the Long Beach Expo. If so, you might be able to buy the autographed silver dollar coin at the show and also get a real autograph from Cassie. image

That might be worth the price.image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

NO way….I call bull $hit...raw gold is over $1200 with NO grading and/or signature. >>

Now now VC , the thread isn't about the Gold pieces.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I don't think this HOF coin itself is the baseballcardization, just the slab signatures, labels are. The market can do whatever it wants with the graded coins. I think the baseballcardization will occur when we get an Elvis, Star Wars or some other pop culture coin from the U.S. Mint. When that happens, it will cause irrepairable damage to their reputation. It hasn't happened yet and I hope it will not ever happen.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody see the naughty image of Cassie and her two friends 'eating' fruit?

<< <i>Anybody see the naughty image of Cassie and her two friends 'eating' fruit? >>

Well that or was 'R' rated
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys crack me up!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file