Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The official 2014 Topps Heritage thread

Comments

• Options
    Finally got around to opening the box i got at White Plains.

Pretty disappointing that the top two cards in every pack were 20/80 OC L/R

Here are the "hits'

Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. I'm going to buy the master set in the Fall when its reasonably priced.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    absolutely
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy with that box, E. A gold and a black and a Verlander variation? You could do a heckuva lot worse.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd be happy with that box, E. A gold and a black and a Verlander variation? You could do a heckuva lot worse. >>

Yes, it beats the cases of 2011 & 2012 i ripped! haha

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Well I am not going to get a trade list up tonight. Will try for tomorrow. As I am sorting the cards the centering reminds me of early 80's Fleer, rounded border graphics which make the centering issues stand out. I am really interested to see if blaster centering is any better. I have a funny feeling blasters were filled well after hobby. Any chance the product was delayed due to QC issues?
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I am not going to get a trade list up tonight. Will try for tomorrow. As I am sorting the cards the centering reminds me of early 80's Fleer, rounded border graphics which make the centering issues stand out. I am really interested to see if blaster centering is any better. I have a funny feeling blasters were filled well after hobby. Any chance the product was delayed due to QC issues? >>

From the past experience, the "Quality" issues would have to be pretty severe. I'm not sure they invested a lot of resources in Quality Control. From what I have, the centering is not perfect, but not really terrible either. (so far anyway)
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    The centering is mostly crappy on the chromes and their variants. My belief is that they were all printed at one time....so the crappy centering would still show up in retail.
  • Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    Hearing from friends across the country today about their retail experiences. Friends in Louisville, Chicago, Baltimore, Tampa, Des Moines, Seattle, and San Francisco are telling me that their blasters didn't have anything worth mentioning in them either. I have a feeling that Topps is either waiting to release some great stuff in retail in the second production run or retail of this stuff is just going to stink.

• Options

<< <i>Finally got around to opening the box i got at White Plains.

Pretty disappointing that the top two cards in every pack were 20/80 OC L/R

Here are the "hits'

Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. I'm going to buy the master set in the Fall when its reasonably priced. >>

Amazing in this day and age that a chrome card like that Hanley would be so damn off-center. That's just atrocious.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    This is difficult to explain. Similarly it would be difficult to explain why blue is my favorite color. LOL.

I primarily collect the imagery on cards and not the back, although they are interesting sometimes. So not having a back doesn't detract from the card's appeal to me. I like to collect variations, so this is like a variation that nobody else can have, making my collection unique. This is why I like these cards. Like others have mentioned, I like the positive film slides and other unique items more than the blank backs cards (I have several of these too). I try to pick up items from my player collection when the mood strikes me and there is dough in the bank.

<< <i>I never understood the popularity and high prices these cards bring. Isn't it simply a card without a back that Topps labels as 1/1 and sells on eBay?

Am I missing something here (other than the back of the card)?

Craig from Texas

<< <i>Here is my only 2014 Topps Heritage card. 2014 TOPPS HERITAGE CLAYTON KERSHAW 1/1 BLANK BACK - TOPPSVAULT

image >>

>>

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    All sorted. Did find blasters finally at Target tonight. PM me if we can help each other out. Thanks!

Needs

SP: 428, 430, 433, 442,
    448, 449, 451, 453, 459, 460, 462, 470, 471, 479, 482, 488, 489, 497,

New Age Performers
    NAP-CG Carlos Gomez
    NAP-MS Max Scherzer
    NAP-PG Paul Goldschmidt
    NAP-SS Stephen Strasburg

For Trade

SP: 450, 485, 494, 495,
    Then and Now: CC, KK, GW
    New Age: MW, MW, XB, WM

Walmart Blue : 468
    Chrome: 53, 33, 454, 457, 489,
    Chrome Refractor: 435, 437, 439, 444, 445
    Club House Collection: DP, IN, JS, JW
    In Action: 150, 284
    Logo: 457
  • Options

Still putting my set together and slowly opening packs, hopefully have a trade list together in the near future.

When the discussion comes to modern off center cards and QC, I have this head scratcher... from Archives, #25, auto with bittersweet centering, where is the QC before they send them to Hank, they only made 25??

Is it on purpose to inflate the value of the centered ones or just plain indifference towards your job ??

Just like the "retro" blurry (slightly out of focus) pictures. Like the photographers of the sixties couldn't focus their shot. Truth be told, those guys took a lot more pride in their work, (even with the errors).

Just my two cents...
  • Options
    Mine isn't much better (but i still like to show off!):

• Options

Yeah... those are awesome, maybe they are all (Aaron) like that because the rest of them are right on. Definitely like the Heritage version better!
  • Options
    Keep showing off Parkerj. That's a beauty of a 2003 heritage collection. Can look at that all day.
    Check out my Collection @ http://www.zistle.com/YankeesNYY
  • Options
    ok, here's another....probably the toughest group (they just don't show up on ebay much):

• Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Trying to wrap this up - especially those 2 SPs.

Needs:
    SPs: 427 (Profar) and 428 (Bumgarner)
    Panels: 2013 Batting Leaders/Viciedo/Machado, 2013 RBi Leaders/McCann/Trout, Capuano/Perez/Washington, Encarnacion/Angels' Rookies/Uribe, Fielder/Hunter/Papelbon, Latos/Victorino/Walker, Norris/Gennett/Ziegler, and World Series/Ohlendorf/Joyce
    SSPs: 43 (Beltran in red), 62 (Coreia), 442 (born in 1927), and 472 (Pitcher)
    Throwback Uniforms: 100, 148, 170, 197, 198, 200, 250, 400, 425, 433, 457, 461, 463, 464, 467, 469, 471, 472, 491, and 500
    Action Image: 284, 300, 407, 426, and 444
    Logo Variations: 53, 149, 160, 250, 310, 400, 407, 426, 444, 447, 455, 457, 458, 461, 464, 468, 471, 475, 490, 491, and 494
    Chrome: 436, 444, and 476
    Purple Chrome: 436 and 476
    Mini: 303, 436, 444, 476, and 485

Here is what I have to deal:
    GU Embossed Box Topper Relic: Kaline #ed 4/25
    Blue Ink Autographs: Frank Baumann - Cubs and Nelson Mathews - A's
    Base Game Used: Posey, Rondon, and Stubbs
    Black (Gray) Back: 173 Ryan Ludwick - Reds
    Buybacks: 146 Ron Hansen, 148 Willie Kirkland, 152 Phil Ortega, 157 Zolio Versalles, 219 Bob Meyer, 413 Hal Raniff
    Mini: 20 Cliff Lee - Phillies (#ed 3/100)
    SPs: 460
    Chrome Refractors: 145, 310, 345, 451, 459, 472, and 478
    Chrome: 53, 170, 200, 213, 216, 300, 448, 449, 460, 482, 491, and 494
    Purple Chrome: 53, 73, 84, 100, 370, 400, 434, 468, 470, 473, 492, 495, 499, and 500
    Then & Now: 2 Full sets, CC, KD, and MD
    Baseball Flashbacks: 1 Full set, A, BG, HK, JM x2, JP, and SK
    News Flashbacks: 1 Full set, AL, BC, JN, MA, MX, and VRA x2
    New Age Performers: 1 Full Set, MC and PG
    1st Draft: 5 sets and JB

Many, many base.
    *means I haven't traded them officially yet - but they are involved in ongoing negotiations
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Just saw the Jeter throwback jersey variation on ebay and was shocked at how much they are selling for....is this a retail only issue? I don't recall seeing any listed when hobby was ahead of the retail issues.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just saw the Jeter throwback jersey variation on ebay and was shocked at how much they are selling for....is this a retail only issue? I don't recall seeing any listed when hobby was ahead of the retail issues. >>

I'm not sure, but those prices are insane.
  • Options
    Nice 2002 collection. 2002, 2003 and 2004 are my favorite years for heritage autos. Mostly because of the logo, team names and action images of sorts. Followed by 2001, 2008 and 2009.
  • Options
    Went to Target today and it appeared that I was first in on the re-stocked baseball section. 16 fresh blasters of Heritage, so I bought two. I've always noticed that in years past there would be a number printed on the inside flap, ending with 1-8 I think. Found it surprising that the inside number was the same on both blasters. Don't ever remember that before.

The first blaster seemed in line with Guru's experience: 3 high numbers, 1 red, 1 NAP, 1 TN, 1 NF, 1 1st draft. 8 packs and 8 'hits'. Although three of the packs were just base cards. Yeah, the red was Harper and one of the high numbers was Puig, but the box was average in my eyes.

The second blaster was more interesting. 10 total hits--3 high numbers, 1 red, 1 NF, 1 BF, 1 NAP, I TN, 1 Chrome Refractor /565 and 1 red auto Jerry Fosnow 25/65. The ten hits came in five packs--again, three packs of just base cards.

What I found fascinating is my last two packs had 10 cards and 8 cards respectively (all base cards), to even the total amount out at the 72 cards. Makes me wonder how the whole packing process actually occurs.
  • Options
    As a Yaz collector, I'm looking forward to 2016 Heritage. Presumably that set will be an homage to 1967, so it should include some sorts of tributes to Yaz's triple crown.
  • Options
    Loved the heritage sales recap on your blog today, Craig. Your vintage purchases were like reading the all star line up. Heritage busters should check it out.
  • Options
    How did you make out tonight MatthewBshultz? Those tornados were crazy!!! Stopped into Nicks Card Shop to pick up some ultra notebook pages…forgot to check out his hobby box prices. Thinking of another box. I think the individual cards are good priced, but the dividers damage them because they're held together by staples.
  • Options
    Thank you so much! For those that would like to read it, just click on my blog link below. Lots of Heritage pics. I hope you all enjoy it.

Craig from Texas

<< <i>Loved the heritage sales recap on your blog today, Craig. Your vintage purchases were like reading the all star line up. Heritage busters should check it out. >>

• Options

<< <i>How did you make out tonight MatthewBshultz? Those tornados were crazy!!! Stopped into Nicks Card Shop to pick up some ultra notebook pages…forgot to check out his hobby box prices. Thinking of another box. I think the individual cards are good priced, but the dividers damage them because they're held together by staples. >>

We were fine - I work in the Uptown Area - Lemmon/75. I don't even know if we got rain, but my eyes have been glued to a computer screen.... Perhaps we got some out in Garland (where I live). I saw the crazy shots of Opening Night in Frisco (AA team north of Dallas). It looked like a huge funnel cloud.

Most stuff was north of me tonight.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An awesome sight to behold!
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Just opened a blaster. The results aren't what I had hoped for.

The box yielded 1 New Age Performer, 1 Flashback, 1 Draft pick, and 2 Short prints. That's it.

I've now opened three blasters, and have yet to get more than 6 "hits" in any of the three boxes. Certainly no ink, buyback, or relic card, and not even a chrome in any of the three boxes. Seems in the past even a blaster was good for one or two chromes.

I bought 5 boxes total, but I think I'll just leave the other two sealed until I hear of someone having a little luck with the retail boxes.

Shawn
  • Options

If I recall, it seemed like retail was inconsistent. There was no formula, or they don't adhere to a formula like hobby.

And in a lot of Blasters at a given location the contents could vary for both ends of the spectrum. So then it becomes picking the "right" box among the group or buying them all.

Some were "normal", but for every one with a better assortment (auto, relic, etc.), there were three that were worse.

Just a theory, no data collected.
  • Options
    Well, you know how I feel about the retail...it stinks. I have now opened 8 blasters from various stores and they have had nothing. It has become a game of picking the right box out of all the ones there. And to be honest with you, if you buy all of them it will probably not yield anything that you could get your money back with.

While I LOVE the design of this years set I am extremely disappointed in the product. I've had a horrible experience this year with it. I'm very happy for those who haven't and realize that my situation may be different than others. I'm probably going to just buy the set on ebay next year and purchase any actual hit cards on there as well. It's just not worth it.

In my mind, I love the guarantee of something. That's why I loved the Series 1 baseball. I knew at the very least I was going to get a patch card. And some of those, recently, have been really cool. Even if I were to pull some no name out of a blaster, or a chrome, or numbered card; I'd keep coming back to buy. Not the case with this stuff. You're right, there's no set formula and it does seem all over the place.
  • Options
    I picked up 8 blasters from Target yesterday, used my $5 off coupons and 5% discount.

1 mini #/100 Carlos Gonzalez
    GU Relic Ivan Nova pin stripe
    1 chrome refractor
    2 chrome
    22 SP all different
    8 red Trout, Cabrera, Myers

I was able to make a complete set with the base cards. All in all not bad for retail but it doesn't beg for more.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>I picked up 8 blasters from Target yesterday, used my $5 off coupons and 5% discount.

1 mini #/100 Carlos Gonzalez
    GU Relic Ivan Nova pin stripe
    1 chrome refractor
    2 chrome
    22 SP all different
    8 red Trout, Cabrera, Myers

I was able to make a complete set with the base cards. All in all not bad for retail but it doesn't beg for more. >>

So the equivalent of approximately 2 and 2/3 boxes of hobby-

Except for the colored border "exclusive" cards, it looks like half the hits of hobby. Which seems about par for previous years, or at least meets expectations. Too bad they don't pack a bigger punch but when you purchase "8 pack lots", I guess you cut down your odds.

• Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    (1) Wal-Mart Blaster purchased a few days ago.

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    If you have any auto's to trade please pm me.
  • Options
    Hi there. Can use the sale blue border. Thx Jim
  • Options
    im guessing at this point, its safe to say there were no Blisters made this year.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Have 11 Target Blasters here. Got them for $14.99 each with my $5 off coupons and no tax in NH. Hopefully I'll get around to cracking them on Saturday sometime. I'll post any "hits" here after they are opened.
  • Options
    FINALLY found 2 blasters at a Walmart on the way home tonight. First box rip...

Found it interesting that the Butler black chrome, Koufax FB and Kinsler SP were all in the same pack.
    Nothing worth mentioning in the second box except the usual then & now insert, a chrome, NAP and 2 regular SP.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Sooooo, DoctorK, if that Trout is a mini, check the latest sell prices for it.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options

<< <i>Sooooo, DoctorK, if that Trout is a mini, check the latest sell prices for it. >>

HOLY CRAP!!!!
  • Options
    Picked up 4 blasters and wanted to add those to my trade list...Same collation and packing problems others were mentioning. So pay attention to the new SPs and Red Borders. Also I'm to the point everything is for sale and will hit eBay soon. Make me a reasonable offer if there is something here you're interested in. Thanks.

Needs:
    Panels: 2013 Batting Leaders/Viciedo/Machado, 2013 RBi Leaders/McCann/Trout, Capuano/Perez/Washington, Encarnacion/Angels' Rookies/Uribe, Norris/Gennett/Ziegler, and World Series/Ohlendorf/Joyce
    SSPs: 43 (Beltran in red), 62 (Coreia), 442 (born in 1927), and 472 (Pitcher)
    Throwback Uniforms: 100, 148, 170, 197, 198, 200, 250, 400, 425, 433, 457, 461, 463, 464, 467, 469, 471, 472, 491, and 500
    Action Image: 284, 300, 407, 426, and 444
    Logo Variations: 53, 149, 160, 250, 310, 400, 407, 426, 444, 447, 455, 457, 458, 461, 464, 468, 471, 475, 490, 491, and 494
    Chrome: 436 and 444
    Purple Chrome: 436 and 476
    Mini: 303, 436, 444, 476, and 485

Here is what I have to deal:
    GU Embossed Box Topper Relic: Kaline #ed 4/25
    Blue Ink Autographs: Frank Baumann - Cubs and Nelson Mathews - A's
    Base Game Used: Posey, Rondon, Stubbs, and Teheran
    Black (Gray) Back: 173 Ryan Ludwick - Reds
    Buybacks: 146 Ron Hansen, 148 Willie Kirkland, 152 Phil Ortega, 157 Zolio Versalles, 219 Bob Meyer, 413 Hal Raniff
    Mini: 20 Cliff Lee - Phillies (#ed 3/100)
    SPs: 429, 460, 463, 477, and 483
    Chrome Refractors: 145, 310, 345, 451, 459, 472, and 478
    Chrome: 53, 170, 200, 213, 216, 400, 448, 449, 460, 482, 491, and 494
    Purple Chrome: 53, 73, 100, 400, 434, 468, 470, 492, 495, 499, and 500
    Then & Now: 2 Full sets, CC, MC, MD, MS, and RD
    Baseball Flashbacks: 1 Full set, A, BG, HK, JM x2, and JP
    News Flashbacks: 1 Full set, AL, BC, JN, MA, MX, TSOM, and VRA x2
    New Age Performers: 1 Full Set, MC, MS, MT, and PG
    1st Draft: 5 sets and GN, JB x2, and NR
    Target Red Border: 140 and 400
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Well, cracked open the 11 blasters from Target in Salem, NH. Got 2 "hot" boxes with a purple chrome in each pack. Got 3 Red Jeter parallels, 3 regular Jeter #433, a Trout red parallel.

They also yielded 2 Relics, an Adam Jones jersey, and a dual Yelich - Sheffield #52/65.

And an AUTO......Michael Wacha......RED ink......08/65

Scanner is in other room with a kid attached to the computer, most likely get some scans done later tonight, or Sunday.

I still haven't sorted any of these for the high numbers, errors, uniform or logo variations, I just put aside the obvious hits.

Guess retail blasters aren't as bad as originally thought.

Edit: Update.....
    2 Refractors /565 .....Chapman, Upton
    2 Chrome /999..... Verlander, Kemp
    16 Purple Chrome...Cruz, Sale, Hamilton, Wacha, Cespedes, Beltre, Granderson, Carpenter, Sabathia, Longoria, Marte, Arenado, Braun, Shields, Moore, Scherzer
    14 Flashbacks
    10 Then & Now
    8 First Draft
    11 New Age Performers
    10 Red Parallels......Jeter (3), Trout, Jones, Greinke (2), Brown, Ramirez, Machado
    High #'s: 30 total, only 16 different (3 Jeters)
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Sweet auto!!
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet auto!! >>

Coming from you that is high praise sir...Thank you!! image
  • Options
    Hey guys,
    Been reading u guys for awhile. I'm mostly in old cards. Ive completed my 65 se and this one looks cool. I've read up on it so may join y'all.

What do I need to know? I know abs nothing. Hobby vs retail, where do I get hobby, whats the card diff between the two, value, resale, how long are boxes available, too many subsets, is retail everywhere? And can u tell me things I prob should know but not thinking of? About how many boxes to complete a set, in general?
    Blaster vs hot box..are they bought or just luck?

Thanks again, u all seem like nice guys so may join u if u don't mind
  • Options
    Steelernation welcome to the circus.

1 Whats the card diff between the two: It all depends on what you are going for. Big hits are found in hobby boxes that run $80. This year, as we are seeing above Wal Mart and Target blasters (19.99 a box) are yielding some great hits as well. Either way you cant go wrong if you are looking to complete a set.

2. Resale Value: If you are looking to unload you hits its best to get in now and flip what you pull. I will go out on a limb and say these are not going to be high dollar sets in the future.

3.How long are boxes available?: How long is a string? Usually around a year.

4. Too many subsets? I actually think this product has the perfect amount of subsets and they are easy to get with help from friends on this forum via trade. If you are going after everything (Chromes, chrome refractors, gold, it will be hard to obtain.) If you are looking for just the master set 1-500 and insert sets (Baseball flash backs, New Flashbacks, Then and Now, New Age Performers) you should not have any issues completing your set.

5. is retail everywhere? For the most part yes. Target, walmart, Toys R us. My local gas station has retail...

6. Can u tell me things I prob should know but not thinking of? Set is 500 cards, numbers 426 - 500 are short printed. Watch for action image variations, logo variations, throw jersey back variation and error cards, mini cards gold refractors. If there is a question on where a card is base, variation or SP there are numbers on the back of each card that clearly relate to what the card actually are. The links below will help you through your journey.

2014 Topps Heritage Card Board Connection
    2014 Topps Heritage Errors, Variations, and errors.
  • Options
    Post #999
  • Options
    oddityoddity Posts: 124 ✭✭

Opened 2 blasters from wal-mart today:

Box 1:

3 SP
    1 Then & Now
    1 First Draft
    1 Baseball Flashbacks
    1 NAP