Home Precious Metals
Options

Why Coin Dealers Drink--Part CCCCXIII

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yesterday a dealer on my old dealer-to-dealer network posted this in the TALK category:

“I am, so I was just told, the only dealer in the
"ENTIRE COUNTRY" that is not willing to pay 4% over
for absolutely BTF MLs...and that was just the beginning
of the "discussion".:

Today, after gold dropped $25 or so an ounce, he posted this:

“It gets better - he was the first guy at the door
this morning. He felt bad about yesterday and wanted to let
me buy his BTF MLs today - at the price I quoted him yesterday.
Told him I felt bad about being the only dealer in the "ENTIRE
COUNTRY" to not offer him 4% over spot yesterday - as a matter
of fact, I felt so bad I was gonna punish myself by letting
somebody else (anybody else)buy his gold at yesterday's price.
Told him I obviously didn't deserve his business.”
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Henway....what is a BTF ML?
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Henway....what is a BTF ML? >>

Beat to f&@k Maple Leafs?
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Yes.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Do they get BTF easier because they are almost pure gold?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do they get BTF easier because they are almost pure gold? >>

Yes. Pure 999 fine gold is far softer than 900 fine gold alloyed with copper.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Do they get BTF easier because they are almost pure gold? >>

Yes. You can scratch them taking them out of a brand-new tube.

The fact that they are 22kt is one of the advantages of orning American Eagles or even Krugerrands. Of course, people of some ethnic groups will only buy .999 or better.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And just what was the 'drink of the day'??? image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I think the design of the Maple Leaf shows damage more than other 24k coins like the Philharmonic. In fact our local dealer buys dinged MLs at a discount.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the design of the Maple Leaf shows damage more than other 24k coins like the Philharmonic. In fact our local dealer buys dinged MLs at a discount. >>

As did we, because they are harder to resell. We used to sell damaged ones at Spot +$20 or so to jewelers who were going to melt them.