Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you like my new colorful Proof Indian Cent?

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought this from FullEagleRareCoins on Sunday ...

PCGS PR65BN

I love the "ghostly" blue elevation chromatics visible around the headdress feathers, hair, ear, eye, nose, and mouth ... and lack of spots or splotches.
Very clean looking.

1883 just happens to be the most common year for PCGS-graded Proof Browns (PR BN's) in the Indian Cent Series ...
(If you can call 246 slabs "common")

Not sure why on the population spikes in the 1880's though ??
Maybe the sulfur content of the envelopes used by the Mint to ship the coins in the 1880s was higher than typical ... (just guessing)

Statistics were compiled in April 2013 (counts are probably higher today) ...

Comments

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭
    What is there not to like. I love the look of toned copper and this one is a beauty.

Mike
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I hate to say it, but it looks like it saw a treatment of MS70. Was it slabbed after the PCGS sniffer was in place? If so, than please accept my apologies for my opening statement. It is a beautiful coin.
    Paul
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful IHC.

Larry Shepherd does have a knack for finding great coins.

I think he has helped build several Commemorative sets for other collectors.
  • Options
    I had a few PM requests for a population bar chart of PCGS RB (Red-Brown) Proof Indians (if I had one) ...
    Here tis ...

Note that the scale on the RB charts runs to 580 ... while it maxes out at 280 for the BNs
    So you can easily compare BN to BN (and RB to RB)

Red-Brown RB Proof Indians

I also did bar charts for PCGS BN and PCGS RB pops for Proof Lincoln Cents ...
    Interesting to compare ...

Note that the bar charts were based on stats from April 2013, so numbers should be slightly higher today.

Brown BN Proof Lincolns

Red-Brown RB Proof Lincolns

• Options
    Here is a slab view ... a quick hand held photo with my iPhone with the color popped in indirect sunlight.
    (FYI ... Larry Shepherd is a former ANA president.)

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason the BN Proofs spike after 1877 is due to large hoards of minor coin (1¢, 3¢, 5¢) sets that were bought at the end of the year for face value by a few dealers. David Proskey, A.M. Smith and others. These were 1878-1916. Some years with lower mintages that may have sold out were not included. They were stored for over 20 to 50 years and got toned in that period due to the envelopes they were stored in. They were widely dispersed in the 1930's.

There is a chapter in my Indian Cent book (Whitman) about these.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is SWEET!
  • Options

<< <i>The reason the BN Proofs spike after 1877 is due to large hoards of minor coin (1¢, 3¢, 5¢) sets that were bought at the end of the year for face value by a few dealers. David Proskey, A.M. Smith and others. These were 1878-1916. Some years with lower mintages that may have sold out were not included. They were stored for over 20 to 50 years and got toned in that period due to the envelopes they were stored in. They were widely dispersed in the 1930's. There is a chapter in my Indian Cent book (Whitman) about these. >>

Best explanation I've ever read ... thanks for posting it. I will make a note of it.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PERFECT!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someday I add a Proof Indian to my collection THIS is what I would want it to look like!

NO spots and so sweeeeetimage
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another possible reason that could have helped increase the later date Indian cent pops was that you could order a minor set of proofs if you didn't have the $3 or so for the silver coins (1900 prices). I purchased an original 1900 proof set a couple years back from a dealer who got it from the original family still w/orig mint packaging and price guide. They ordered a normal 5 coin proof set + 2 additional minor sets. Hence, 3 gem PF 66RB 1900 cents. Total cost in 1900 was about $3.50. Those were 3 of the most eye appealing 1900 cents I had ever seen (80-90% red with magenta and purple toning). While the cents were the nicest coins of the entire group, the silver coins toned a neutrally appealing mottled blue/purple/dark brown and "only" graded 65 or so.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    An old friend, very nice coin.hope you enjoy it.
  • Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a slab view ... a quick hand held photo with my iPhone with the color popped in indirect sunlight.
    (FYI ... Larry Shepherd is a former ANA president.)

image >>

Look like it has some orange peel on this image but not on the first one. Either way, nice toning
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    very nice ! thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a sharp looking coin, i like image
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Very nice coin........but be careful, tomned Indian proofs have been known to be habit forming.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like:

1. The coin. I have a PR BN IHC. It's the most I've ever shelled out for a coin but they mesmerize me.

2. The pics. Awesome Truview and I think the iphone slab pic is cool.

3. Your charts. Always appreciated them. Lots to learn there.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely.

I like the black-background TrueView, too. What's the story on those? I'm sure it's been discussed, but if so, I missed out.

Neat graph, too.

(Edit- graphs, plural.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely struck IHC..... not a fan of blue copper, but the coin is really nice... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Great post and love the graphs. You can never go wrong with a Larry Shepherd toner.

I always noticed a different look of many 1880 mint state red IH's, many toned very deep red, and I chalked that up to a different copper mix.
    Wonder if the metal composite of this era had something to do with so many blue toned proofs after long term envolope storage.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    It's attractive coin and I love the charts but I just have no faith in blue copper. I can never give it the benefit of a doubt that it isn't a product of "conservation"
  • Options
    I think the trick with these types of coins is just try to pick them up as close to guide price possible. That way you squeeze out the risk.

Since it's PCGS slabbed, one can probably almost always get pretty close to guide for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file