Home Stamps Forum

Is Philatelia this dead.....

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
...may be time to start buying. image

Comments

• delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    On this forum it is.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    There is no new blood and sadly many old timers have passed.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have spent a little time looking at stamps from Germany and Italy lately- really interesting and well designed stamps.

I am surprised interest has dropped- there really seems to be some quality at reasonable prices

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used my whole childhood collection of mint US and UN stamps on letters and packages. And boy does it take a lot of them to mail something today. Even stamps that I thought were high value back in the day can't pay a first class letter today. Like a 40c Special Delivery stamp.

There's no other way to get rid of them for close to face value. Even the better issues.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to think that its just taking a nap image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby

• << <i>I like to think that its just taking a nap image

Steve >>

ughh I think its done. Nobody has interest in it coming up .

I loved collecting stamps as a child. I collected them with my grandpa. I have the most wonderful memories.

I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
  • Just depends on what part of the country your in I guess. May not be much happening on this board but it is very active in my area and ebay seems to be doing a very good business. Also depends on what your collecting. Postal history has been doing quite well.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    taking a look at Ebay and the amount of bids on singles, lots, collections says otherwise.

For the ones that collected in the 60s and 70s and stopped when you became 12, yeah your stuff is pretty much worthless aside from memories but there's nothing stopping you from continuing where you left off. Stamps that were too expensive when you were a child are still expensive but now that we have jobs, it's nice to go back and pick them up. Not a whole lot different from collecting cards.

I restarted a couple years ago and have built up a decent collection. Sure is fun picking up items I only dreamed of as a kid.

here's where I'm at so far - Stamp Collection and having a hell of a lot of fun with it
  • I did not look at all of the pages but what I did look at tells me you have done rather nicely in a short period. In some areas I notice you have hit the point where you need to spend some good money to fill the spaces. Keep up the good work.
    Rolin
    Thanks Rolin

I still had my childhood collection to get me restarted. Most of what I've picked up over the last couple years has come from collections/lots I've found on Ebay, Craigslist and yard sales. It's kind of unreal that so many people do no research at all before trying to sell their stuff in this hobby .I've maybe bought half a dozen or so single stamps while the rest has come from these lots that I pick up pretty inexpensively from time to time. I prefer the thrill of the hunt than buying things individually. Some day I'll find the Zeppelins in a $30 box lot image
  • Like you say, many people do not do their homework. One of my specialties is 1860s and 1870s grills. Most of the expensive stamps I have I found in lots off ebay. I did have to break down and buy a Scott #79 (A grill) but I got it (with a certificate) for about half of what they were going for. I also had to buy a Scott 158 with the J grill and certificate but once again got it for about half the going price. Patience is the key.

I am the treasurer for the local stamp club and most of our members are patient and end up with what they are looking for at bargain prices.

Keep up the work on your collection.

Rolin
    Just got a big order of mounts in so I can continue switching my album over from the Mystic Heirloom to the Scott National. I had always wanted one but never pulled the trigger on one until I saw a brand new (up to 85) pop up on Ebay about a month ago. Picked it up for $70 Thought it was a good enough deal to finally get one.

I really liked the Mystic but it was time to move up
  • My primary collection was started in a Harris Liberty and I have expanded the album with my own pages. I have a second collection in a Scott's Minuteman. I finally got a great deal on a Scott National and have been placing a lot of stamps in it but it will not take the place of my Harris album. Why have multiples? I have two grandsons that have helped me with my stamps from time to time and have showed a continued interest. Just getting them a head start on their collections for later in life. My grandsons' interest in stamps lets me know philately is not dead and not likely to die anytime soon.

By the way, my grandsons will bring me stamps and tell me to put it with their stamps I have in safe keeping. They always know where their items are at. Pretty neat I think.

Rolin
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    My uncle is a medals collector, but he always has his best pieces displayed in frames with stamps and other philo to match. Some are sketches, some are postcards, and then the stamps. It's really beautiful and I've always considered doing the same - but I don't have the wall space to hang them. The only thing worse than not displaying your collection is having it mounted, framed etc. and then storing the framed pieces in a box. For now, I'm good with my albums. Plus it must take FOREVER. Can you imagine?

edited to add: my uncle is retired, so … maybe if/when I retire I'll be so lucky
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not completely...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, nothing wrong with stamps -- collecting them on the cheap and the thrill of the hunt in affordable lots is fun! Some stamps (most) are exceedingly common, but they're still fun to collect -- and some other stamps will still bring good money. Not too different from other hobbies; this simply isn't really the forum for it.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've used my whole childhood collection of mint US and UN stamps on letters and packages. And boy does it take a lot of them to mail something today. Even stamps that I thought were high value back in the day can't pay a first class letter today. Like a 40c Special Delivery stamp.

There's no other way to get rid of them for close to face value. Even the better issues. >>

Brings back great memories. In the mid 70's I bought an album of $40 in face common stuff from a friend who needed some money. Thought it was a score. Would be worth $40 in postage today.

Good responses and I guess there is more interest here than I thought.
  • ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    My father passed two years ago. He continued the collection that I started in the 70s. Now I have the collection with mint stamps(hinged)dating back to 1940? I think. Many plate blocks too, but they're mostly from the 70s-90s.
    From the sounds of it I should use them for postage today, but the envelopes aren't large enough to fit 49c worth of 5-8 cent stamps.
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan

<< <i>From the sounds of it I should use them for postage today, but the envelopes aren't large enough to fit 49c worth of 5-8 cent stamps. >>

Shows the advantage if precious metal coins vs paper postage. At least in regard to maintaining value.
    You really need to go pre-1920 with stamps to see much value and there are plenty of common pre-1920 stamps with minimal value though.

Collecting for the fun of it is where it's at.
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's alive just not as strong as it used to be
  • As I see it high value/rare stamps still hold their value and sell for a ton. Just check out any legit auction website (not ebay). A big thing Ive noticed is how may stamp collections were hinged because it was the thing to do over the last century, so now finding NH stamps to fill out my collection is solid goal. Also, as a lover of history, I enjoy getting old covers (even better with the contents inside) because it adds to the item's tangible story.
  • BigJr - as an FYI. That "philatelist" logo I use is a trademark that I designed for my firm, Richard Frajola, Inc, back in 1981. I have protected it against infringement several times.

There must be another image you can use as an avatar. Thank you.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • I liked the look of it Covers, not knowing anything other than it was a choice under the "profile > icon" tab. I didn't mean to offend.

If it seriously is an issue and happens enough you should contact the admin to have them remove it from their list of choices.
  • coverscovers Posts: 624
    BigJr - thank you. I do not think anybody here has used my logo before. I have had problems with dealers on ebay using it.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Big jr...nice choice for a new avatar!
  • Thanks, I wish I had such a pristine #1053 in my collection. There aren't many high value stamps with such a good illustration of Hamilton.

As for the topic, I thought about it more today and came to realize that stamp collecting is moving more towards an elitist hobby. I mean many serious collectors have near mint post-1908 (US) collections. Its almost a prerequisite for any hobbyist. But for the earlier, rare stamps it's becoming harder to obtain true show pieces without selling your firstborn. As such, the folks with money are willing to pay for the rares knowing not only are they in very limited supply but also that they hold value and likely show provenance. There is something about paper that always fascinated me, especially the frailty of a stamp and it surviving for so long. For example, I see coins as something most people know are worth something and they are certainly easier to preserve than a sticky piece of paper used to send letters. Just my 2 cents.

And Id recommend to anyone whose never been, check out the National Postal Museum in DC. Its an amazing collection of stamps and covers that really make a Philatelist wonder. Just don't go with your significant other if they're not into the hobby as they will likely get bored after 30 minutes, haha.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My father passed two years ago. He continued the collection that I started in the 70s. Now I have the collection with mint stamps(hinged)dating back to 1940? I think. Many plate blocks too, but they're mostly from the 70s-90s.
    From the sounds of it I should use them for postage today, but the envelopes aren't large enough to fit 49c worth of 5-8 cent stamps. >>

You are allowed to overlap them as long as the denomination of the "bottom" stamps are showing and they can be canceled.
  • scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    I obtained my great-grandfather's collection that has been interesting to go through.

Some world from 1930s-1960s and a ton of US 1930s-1960s.

Any good guidepoint for runs/stamps of significance in this timeframe?

<< <i>I obtained my great-grandfather's collection that has been interesting to go through.

Some world from 1930s-1960s and a ton of US 1930s-1960s.

Any good guidepoint for runs/stamps of significance in this timeframe? >>

Not much, unfortunately. The zeppelin issues (US and Germany) from the early 30's are desirable, high-value Roos from 1930's Australia are worth a little to a lot, etc. But unfortunately in a typical collection (if you are interested solely in value) finding such is the exception to the rule. By and large, US issues from the 1930s on up, are so exceedingly common, they can be used for postage without guilt.

Example of a rarity: an example of BigJr's 1950's US $5 Hamilton icon, cancelled and still on a cover (envelope) recently sold for thousands -- because it is exceedingly rare to find a used one still on an envelope from the time period. Your typical used one, removed from whatever envelope carried it, goes for $10 or under.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    message deleted
    Seems to be some life and interest here after all.

Great to see.

Stamps were my first collectible and I may return soon.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the high end market is doing well. All the other stuff is like so many circulated wheat cents with little to no value.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
    I recently picked us the US Possessions and Revenue Part 2 National pages so I'll be busy for a while with those.

Also ordered the regular National Part 3 pages (77-93). I only needed 86 and up but it was a lot cheaper than buying supplements. Eventually I'd like to get up to date with National pages but for know everything after the pages I have are in a Mystic Heirloom

Grabbed a nice selection of US Phillipines and Cuba stamps in a lot on Ebay too:

Got all this for $15.30 delivered: (auction pics)

I think those are good value for the money spent! Have fun with them. image
    Thanks - Auction ended Thursday evening, seller shipped Friday and I got them today. Love fast shipping image

It'll be fun checking and verifying the watermarks/perfs and getting them mounted in their forever home LOL

Hadn't gone too deep yet into the territories so I actually needed most of them. Certainly couldn't beat the price

• Nice material here. I especially like the Phillippines.
  • I've been into stamps for over 40 years. The passion comes and goes, but it has returned this past year with a vengeance. If one is looking to make a profit, though, one had better invest, at the minimum, thousands. I stack the silver for hedging, but I pursue stamps for fun.

I'm enjoying filling out my South African Specialty album (Scott). Lovely country, especially the Commonwealth issues. I've added Samoa proper (not American Samoa) to my interests, and that choice was almost on a whim.

On-line auction houses are VERY active, in my opinion, and I enjoy bidding there for better material. I'll collect till I die.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    In a recent issue of NY Times, they interviewd Dale Chihuly (the world renowned glass blower). He said he collects mint condition prewar (WWII) stamps. I got excited. Then he said he likes to use them on packages to family and friends to add a personal touch, like if they enjoy books he'll use stamps featuring authors. He said the values are small so he may use 30-40 per package. Oh well. I guess it's better than not buying/collecting any stamps at all. And makes ours that much more scarce.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Such men as he are a treat for collectors. So few in the mail stream any longer. image My wife has an in-house artisan's business. After meeting me, she makes sure to doll up all outgoing packages. She has gotten some positive notice from her customers.

You know the hobby and the stamp presence itself is on the wane when a postal worker isn't aware that old stamps are valid in the U.S. I almost fell over when she, the postal worker, questioned the process, then explained it all to her. image
    Some recent pickups:

and these arrived today:

• zep33:

Nice! I especially like the centering on the horse rider. The color on the $1 is gorgeous. And just the slightest kiss of cancellation.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BigJr - as an FYI. That "philatelist" logo I use is a trademark that I designed for my firm, Richard Frajola, Inc, back in 1981. I have protected it against infringement several times.

There must be another image you can use as an avatar. Thank you. >>

Common sense would dictate that anyone not wanting others to use their trademarked avatar would not upload it to a free-use profile images page. Just saying.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Common sense would dictate that anyone not wanting others to use their trademarked avatar would not upload it to a free-use profile images page. Just saying. >>

Yep. The problem isn't the person who used it; it's the person that uploaded it to begin with.

At any rate, stamp collecting isn't dead by any means, it's just dead here.
    a recent lot I picked up:

• coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Depending on price, that could be a heck of a deal. Regardless, it would be fun to go through...
  • Going through my late brother's boxes, I found some envelopes that other people (looks like mainly our grandmother) had mailed to him from Chicago, New York, Philly and 2 others that I will describe shortly. Anyway, these all are from 1955 and the various envelopes/stamps are cancelled with a FIRST DAY OF ISSUE stamp. Is there any collector value to them?

The other 2 envelopes have a pre-printed box in the lower left corner that says First Trip Highway Post Office between Columbus, Mississippi and Flomaton, Alabama. They are cancelled with a 'FIRST TRIP' in horizontal lines, and the typical circular cancellation, which has within it the 2 cities, Jan. 31, 1955 and TRIP 1.

Just curious - I know you guys will come up with something!

ps - When the Lucille Ball stamp came out, I had my sister (who lives in Busti, NY) mail a pre-stamped envelope to me from Celeron, NY (birthplace of Lucy) on her birthday....was that worth the effort?

Thanks!
    Chuck
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Example of a rarity: an example of BigJr's 1950's US $5 Hamilton icon, cancelled and still on a cover (envelope) recently sold for thousands -- because it is exceedingly rare to find a used one still on an envelope from the time period. >>

Exception: First Day Covers, which can be picked up for under $20.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Finally landed a #1 and got it at a decent price - has a small thin but it doesn't bother me at all. The giant margins are what drew me in