Home Stamps Forum
Options

Is Philatelia this dead.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Nice 4 margin example, crisp cancel, great visual appearance. Well done!
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Example of a rarity: an example of BigJr's 1950's US $5 Hamilton icon, cancelled and still on a cover (envelope) recently sold for thousands -- because it is exceedingly rare to find a used one still on an envelope from the time period. >>

Exception: First Day Covers, which can be picked up for under $20. >>

Yes, it assumes non-philatelic usage, of which FDC's certainly are not.

Still, I think a $5 Hamilton FDC might be worth a tiny bit of pocket $ at that.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone keep track of the number of first day covers issued for each stamp?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    I think recorded sales would be noted, but I'm not certain how to go about looking that up.

FDC's are most certainly a classic example (not to pick on stamps in particular) of a sure-fire "collectible" that will "be worth something in the future!"

For the US stamp market anyway, they will remain in the doldrums for a long time to come. image
  • Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    Scott's US Specialized lists quantities for FDC's issued.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options

<< <i>Scott's US Specialized lists quantities for FDC's issued.

Lou >>

Thanks!

• Options
    Looks like slightly less than 35,000 First Day Covers were issued for the $5 Hamilton (#1053).

Not rare, but not a large number in the overall scheme of things . . .

• Options
    Do many people collect non-philatelic covers from the time period in which their stamps were issued? Aside from #1053, the $5 Hamilton, I don't know of any other non-philatelic covers from the 1950s onward that command a 4-figure price.

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    If you're talking strictly U.S. stamps, that is likely the case, aside from some of the back-of-book issues that can be somewhat tough to find used commercially in period (for example, some of the postage dues, officials, stationery, and post cards). Non-U.S. material, there's a (literally) world of material that can be tough to find commercially used in period.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the robust response.

Looks like there is still some life in the hobby!
  • Options
    zep33: I'm drooling at that lot you illustrated. I see some nice Columbians, a $2 Franklin, and all look fresh and well-centered. Are you letting on the price you paid? image
  • Options
    Overdate: When it comes to investment, not much in the contemporary field. But when it comes to plain ol' collecting fun, yes, many collectors accumulate covers bearing individual stamps during their time-of-issue. A sub-category is to collect various rate structures accurate to their time of cancellation.

I keep anything that is above first class rate, on cover, if possible. I recently received a tubular package with several Inverted Jenny reprints ($2 denom.) on it. I've carved them out satisfactorily to keep them "on piece." To each his own.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    image There was a lot more than that in that album too. Wasn't that cheap though. Paid $325 for it - it was a 1950s Schaubek album that was packed with early stuff - some nice mint officials too.

Best deal I've gotten yet was just last week using my Ebay Bucks ($45) from last quarter and a grand total of $19 and change for all this:

US

Canada / Newfoundland

Great Britain:

Germany:

Italy

Those are the countries I've pulled out so far

• Options

<< <i>Overdate: When it comes to investment, not much in the contemporary field. But when it comes to plain ol' collecting fun, yes, many collectors accumulate covers bearing individual stamps during their time-of-issue. A sub-category is to collect various rate structures accurate to their time of cancellation.

I keep anything that is above first class rate, on cover, if possible. I recently received a tubular package with several Inverted Jenny reprints ($2 denom.) on it. I've carved them out satisfactorily to keep them "on piece." To each his own. >>

I took advantage of an eBay bucks promotion to buy several souvenir sheets of the $2 inverted jennies below face, to use on packages. It's fun in the same way as spending $2 bills.

I notice that many classic covers with popular stamps, such as the Zepplins, are tending to hold their own pricewise, while the prices of mint examples are declining.

Some truly scarce modern first day covers can often be found at reasonable prices. The 1998 $11.75 Express Mail stamp has a reported FDC count of only 3,703. I recently acquired one for about $14.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double post image

Steve
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zep33:

Are you saying that for ~$64, you picked up all those stamps, including a $2 Columbian, $1 Farragut, $2 Madison, KS/NE overprints, and all the rest? image

If so, Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! imageimage

Steve
  • Options
    yup image

and the 1c Franklin(1869 pictorial) is a no grille/ soft paper 1880 reissue #133 - not sure yet if 133a or not though

this is the pic from the auction that made me click the BIN as fast as my fingers could move:

I figured if the guy had a $2 columbian in there, which actually took me a few minutes to figure out what it was, there had to be other treasures. The only other pic he took of the US stuff was the 1922 series stamps at a bad angle that made the $2 stamp look used.

right time, right place for that one and there were actually 2 watchers on it before I grabbed it

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yup image

and the 1c Franklin(1869 pictorial) is a no grille/ soft paper 1880 reissue #133 - not sure yet if 133a or not though

this is the pic from the auction that made me click the BIN as fast as my fingers could move:

I figured if the guy had a $2 columbian in there, which actually took me a few minutes to figure out what it was, there had to be other treasures. The only other pic he took of the US stuff was the 1922 series stamps at a bad angle that made the $2 stamp look used.

right time, right place for that one and there were actually 2 watchers on it before I grabbed it >>

• Options
    Congrats. Smart grab, and right place, right time as you said! The $2 columbian is the winner all by itself, the rest is pure gravy. Seller really cost themselves with that poor quality pic.

Congrats again -- ! image
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Hey, for those of us who know absolutely zilch about values, can somebody explain just how great a deal this was? What is a $2 Columbian worth in that condition?

The colors look pretty vivid and not faded on most. Congrats on what is apparently the deal of the century. On the coin boards, you'd be the recipient of a "you suck" award imageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Scott Catalog for the $2.00 Columbian is $650 used. This stamp would probably go for $300 on a good day or $200 or so on a bad day and anywhere in between.

There are 4 of the stamps that found a permanent home in my album:

Cat value of the 4 of them is $1395 but that really means about as much as a Beckett means to baseball cards.

Regardless, seller would have done a lot better with scans like these image

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Wow that is a heck of a deal! hahaha good for you man! You really suck image haha

Thanks for the numbers. Now I can appreciate and celebrate with you image wow that's just AWESOME
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul Zep33. A YS award is definitely in order!!!
  • Options
    Nice haul, Zeppy. Those $2's are fabulous. The Madison has some nice perfs.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I've collected coins, art, and sports cards but never stamps. I had the chance to buy a large collection a few years ago, and passed on the opportunity, just because I never understood it. What makes stamp collecting rewarding?
  • Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    It's like any type of collecting, I guess -- everyone brings and takes away something a little different. For me stamp collecting was an inexpensive way to collect little pieces of history. I started with my Dad's old childhood stamp album, which stops at 1940, on the cusp of WWII. But there's plenty to learn up to that point.

Because of stamp collecting, I know a great deal about world geography; how the world powers shifted over the years and which countries were colonized; dictators and world leaders; what massive inflation looks like, following WWI; various alphabets and types of currency from around the globe; the process of engraving and printing; the progress of transportation, from wagons and horses, to ships and trains, to airplanes; what sorts of things the government taxed by way of revenue stamps; the rise and fall of the private bank note companies. I'll stop there, but there are all manner of other collections that grew out of stamps -- fractional currency, souvenir cards, obsolete checks, stocks and bonds, which frequently have revenue stamps affixed.

Coins are shiny and nice; they have intrinsic value in the metal and they've held their value far better than stamps. I also collected coins for many years, but I just found there was more to learn and much more variety in stamps.

How's that for an answer? Anyone else have more to add?
    Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gsalex

It's like any type of collecting, I guess -- everyone brings and takes away something a little different. For me stamp collecting was an inexpensive way to collect little pieces of history. I started with my Dad's old childhood stamp album, which stops at 1940, on the cusp of WWII. But there's plenty to learn up to that point.

Because of stamp collecting, I know a great deal about world geography; how the world powers shifted over the years and which countries were colonized; dictators and world leaders; what massive inflation looks like, following WWI; various alphabets and types of currency from around the globe; the process of engraving and printing; the progress of transportation, from wagons and horses, to ships and trains, to airplanes; what sorts of things the government taxed by way of revenue stamps; the rise and fall of the private bank note companies. I'll stop there, but there are all manner of other collections that grew out of stamps -- fractional currency, souvenir cards, obsolete checks, stocks and bonds, which frequently have revenue stamps affixed.

Coins are shiny and nice; they have intrinsic value in the metal and they've held their value far better than stamps. I also collected coins for many years, but I just found there was more to learn and much more variety in stamps.

How's that for an answer? Anyone else have more to add?

I'll add to gsalex's excellent response:

It's about the thrill of the hunt.

It's about making order out of chaos (i.e. forming a set).

It's about the camaraderie of a local club or show.

It's about the fun and excitement of attending big trade shows once in a while.

All of the above can also be said of coin collecting, or probably any collecting, but that doesn't make it any less true of philately.
  • Options
    quarterlvrquarterlvr Posts: 84 ✭✭

I've been a collector since the early 80s , have collected anything from US mint and used to covers, plate blocks and such. Used to go out and buy sheets of just about every new issue that was printed and saved the plate blocks and used the rest. Stopped doing that in the 90s as I just couldn't keep up with everything. .Fact is I haven't bought a new commemorative in about the past 5-6 years. Have recently just been focusing on my used WW collection and adding to that. ...I still like stamp collecting but have become upset that the US stuff is so expensive these days. Tried doing classic stuff for a while but unfortunately all the holes in my collection are for items that are pretty pricey. Most American kids these days aren't interested in something that isn't electronic and keeps them enthralled all the time. Looks like most of the new APS members that are signing up are in 60s and 70s age range. Too bad, maybe if more people collected stamps we wouldn't have as many stupid people out there.
  • Options
    oz_in_ohiooz_in_ohio Posts: 184 ✭✭

Attn MGLICKER....You can always place some of the stamps in the reverse
    and just under where your return adress is, write more stamps on reverse:::
    Hers is an example if the back of one of my packages.... I cannot show you the
    other side as the adress is on there and i am respecting the persons privacy.
    Just imagine another 10 small stamps on the other side.

• Options

It's a shame but unless it's a very expensive rarity, most stamps aren't selling. Perusing the major auctions you will find that stamps are selling for high dollar amounts but guess some people have money to throw around. Mostly nice classic stamps and covers, a lot of them are way out of my price range.

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭

Are there any postal history buffs on the message boards?

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Stamp collecting has one new convert! I'm mostly a coin/currency guy, but a long time stamp collector who joined our coin club has started a twice-monthly stamp swap meet. I decided to check it out, and have the beginnings of a collection. Although they don't seem to have much value, I've become interested in precancels. Being able to collect them from particular cities and states reminds me of National Bank Notes (though much lighter on the pocket book).

My grandmother collected both stamps and coins, and as the current generation's stamp collector, I've been entrusted with her collection. I'm still learning, but am having a lot of fun in this "dead" hobby.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TitusFlavius said:
    Stamp collecting has one new convert! I'm mostly a coin/currency guy, but a long time stamp collector who joined our coin club has started a twice-monthly stamp swap meet. I decided to check it out, and have the beginnings of a collection. Although they don't seem to have much value, I've become interested in precancels. Being able to collect them from particular cities and states reminds me of National Bank Notes (though much lighter on the pocket book).

My grandmother collected both stamps and coins, and as the current generation's stamp collector, I've been entrusted with her collection. I'm still learning, but am having a lot of fun in this "dead" hobby.

Nice to hear. Good luck with your collection. I have recently begun to purchase old postcards. Not only for the stamps but for they great content of the cards.

• Options

Nice to see a few new posts here from time to time.

I'm still going at it, still looking for that once in a lifetime find. Took some time away but been picking up lots and collections again at decent prices. Working on a Big Blue (1840 to 1940) worldwide collection now. Broke 15,000 in it before I took a break with a lot more to add.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:

@TitusFlavius said:

Nice to hear. Good luck with your collection. I have recently begun to purchase old postcards. Not only for the stamps but for they great content of the cards.

I collect precancels from my birth town and my current town.
    You're right--it's fun and cheaper than Nationals.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it’s great to find stamps below FV and use them... as stamps.

Like buying Forever stamps in bulk before price hikes.

Just saying.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Six year old thread and still on page one.

;)

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

There may be something brewing - Wall Street Journal today
    Why Stamp Collecting Is Suddenly Back in Vogue
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-stamp-collecting-is-suddenly-back-in-vogue-11591358415

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judging by the fact that this thread is currently #6 on the Discussion page after almost 7 years since it was first posted I would say at the very least that the hobby in not in good health. Not much activity.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I know that stamp collecting has lost some interest, to say the least, but why do some dealers still charge more than face value on stamps of the last 10-20 years? I enjoy my collection, but paying more than face for very common stamps at this point takes some of the fun out.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 8:41AM

@DeutscherGeist said:
    I know that stamp collecting has lost some interest, to say the least, but why do some dealers still charge more than face value on stamps of the last 10-20 years? I enjoy my collection, but paying more than face for very common stamps at this point takes some of the fun out.

I think it's all about money. Turning a profit is essential.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

And the popularity of wedding planners. If a person is that interested in picking out stamps for wedding invitations, perhaps it will get them/someone into the hobby. At least I hope.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:

The stamp market has very high margins for "service charge" stamps. The "service charge" is what the dealer gets for even bothering to stock common material.

All glory is fleeting.