Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is your "Holy Grail" coin?

2»

Comments

• << <i>I purchesd a1963 dime discovered by metal detector after tropical storm Sandy.It was found in N.J. in the sand under where the old boardwalks used to be.The sand and salt water competely removed the silver laminate exposeing the black bronze core.The strike is good and would probably grade" enviromental damage".So I keep it for the story and is quite unique. Learned alot about precious metal alloys with this one. >>

Bronze core? I thought pre-1965 dimes were 90% silver with the balance copper all alloyed together. I wasn't aware of any silver laminate over a "bronze core". Are you sure you don't have a heavilly toned silver 1963 dime? To the point where the silver turned black?
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭
    Obtainable? '54-S $2 1/2

Unobtainable? '70-S $3
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An 1817/4 bust half would be nice.
    Lance.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be the 16-S, 19-S, 17 S Obv. 23-S, 27-S etc., etc. coins but I have filled all of those holes with wonderful examples. NOW----it is just the 19-D, 21-D & 21-S. image

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the short run (I hope) I am looking for an 1875-P Twenty Cent Piece in MS-64 or 65. I am working on an exhibit for this coin and right now I have a blank space that reads, "Still on my want list!" image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG08 or VG10 Gold $50 Pan Pac or I would take bothimage
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    difficult question. Many! For me, the most famous error, the 55' double die in a 67 or 68ms grade. The high grade " copper 43'cent" would be another. also, the coin you guy's mentioned. Many!!! -joeyimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1958 doubled die obverse, 1c. (3 known- $$$, $$$.)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Silverholic.It's known as a black corinthian bronze.lets say the core is 81%silver and 8% copper then the laminate of 1% silver.This would be a 90% silver.the thing to remember when you add copper to silver in a alloy its a bronze.i think around the deppression they trimmed some of the silver.

This dime also has green tarnish in the reeding which indicates copper.
    Mark Anderson
  • veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    1927-s Standing Liberty Quarter AU55 or AU58 with at least "half-head" detail.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silverholic.It's known as a black corinthian bronze.lets say the core is 81%silver and 8% copper then the laminate of 1% silver.This would be a 90% silver.the thing to remember when you add copper to silver in a alloy its a bronze.i think around the deppression they trimmed some of the silver. >>

???

Coinstudy, I think you must have made a typo in your original post, and you actually purchased a 1965 dime? 1963 dimes weren't produced in bronze, corinthian or otherwise. They didn't have a core, and they didn't have a laminate (I think you must mean plating). No silver was trimmed in any fashion around the depression. American 90% silver coinage was always produced with a consistent alloy, 90% silver throughout the coin, with no core of any sort.

Clad dimes produced in 1965 and later has a copper core, copper-nickel clad layers on either side, and no silver to be found anywhere.

If you are still convinced that you purchased a 1963 dime with a copper core, you may want to grab yourself a copy of The Redbook for basic information about coin composition.
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinstudy:

Ditto what jonathanb said. Plus in the depression during the 1930s, the coin alloy was not changed, that is, "they" did not "trim" any silver.
    Mark

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>VG08 or VG10 Gold $50 Pan Pac or I would take bothimage >>

I have never seen one in that low of a grade although there was a damaged one on the market for a long time. The price was in the $20,000 range so don't get the idea that a really low grade one would sell at the melt value. The trouble with coins that are often seen in the Mint State grades and almost never seen in the circulated grades is that there are so few of them that you don't get much of a price break when they do appear.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Thats ok.I know the difference between the dates 1963 and 1965.I also know the difference in color between black and silver.fortunately I dont know everything there is to know.This is why I won't have it graded anyway.It would confound the wise(the grader) and it would be chalked up to environmental damage.

Mark Anderson
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1838-o Norweb half and the 1827 Garrett quarter are tied at the top of my list but both were in strong hands last I checked. After that a high grade half disme and chain cent would be tied in the number 2 slot.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does a ms something $20 carson city double eagle count?
  • 1823 PCGS Graded Bust Quarter.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file