Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Mother Lode of Saddle Ridge - 1892-S

MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
............ too busy to count 'em all, but plenty to go around (47 in MS64, or better)

Whoa, Nelly!!!

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    That color is very very close to what they look like IRL. Impressive photos. Under the case lights they were ever so slightly brighter.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    they look very conservatively graded.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver coins may not have done so well in the ground

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver coins may not have done so well in the ground >>

Silver coins would not have done so well in the ground. No doubt.

• Options
    Certainly not. These were covered in dirt and muck. They were conserved ... a lot.

I could be wrong so don't quote me but I think I overheard someone [don't want to name names] say that the color was corrected in the re-toning process. Based on research that was done, about gold coins of that era, and what color they should be.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snazzy as hell . . Look good on the Bezos website. . . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>they look very conservatively graded. >>

I agree. Some of the 64 coins look like they should go back in....hehe.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>............ too busy to count 'em all, but plenty to go around (47 in MS64, or better)

Whoa, Nelly!!! >>

Thanks. Looks like 1892 was a very good year. Some of those 58s look as good as the mint state specimens so there could be "bargains" to be had. As a rule are the Type Ones overall in such good condition or does it look like the older coins were found in the cans that had rusted open and led to more environmental damage?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice stuff there. The 64 I like best from first glance is 28807805.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does one purchase these coins? I have heard amazon but it seems weird for some of the better dates and such.
    And wow- I think conservative is too conservative of a word on some of the grades!
    If the slab don't fit. Resubmit
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Cow are they strictly graded!!

Crack'em out and resubmit.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno. Hopefully they took a little extra time and got em right the first time. It would seem a little odd that a TPG got all of that publicity and the coins weren't even properly graded. I wonder how many will get sent to NJ.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you crack em out they won't re holder? Just get labeled as genuine.
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said in a post on another thread, the coins really do look uncirculated. However, not having seen them in hand, I do wonder if the color looks a bit odd due to the conservation process. (I have seen some of the SS Central America 1857-S Double Eagles and they have a very distinctive "look" as a result of being conserved. The "look" isn't bad but it is a bit different from what non-conserved uncirculated coins look like.)

If cracked out and resubmitted would they end up in "Genuine" holders?

What do forum members who have seen the coins in person at the ANA Atlanta show think?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the 1866 No Motto.

Notice the pale color compared to normal coins. I don't think it should matter since the provenance is what it is. You are buying it with the coin. It looks like PCGS posted images of all the full grade coins under their own variety heading on Coinfacts. This is great! What a great resource.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree. Some of the 64 coins look like they should go back in....hehe. >>

The ground?? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree. Some of the 64 coins look like they should go back in....hehe. >>

And no doubt they will. Some of the 63's look like 64's. I wish I could cherry pick some of those for "standard" money.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Certainly not. These were covered in dirt and muck. They were conserved ... a lot.

I could be wrong so don't quote me but I think I overheard someone [don't want to name names] say that the color was corrected in the re-toning process. Based on research that was done, about gold coins of that era, and what color they should be. >>

Nothing got re-toned or touched up. A large number of the coins came out of the ground the same pale gold color that you see on new AGEs. The can with 1892-S $20s in it was a bit different from the rest and a bunch of those coins had a greener look to them.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    What was the "restoration" process? PCGS does not guarantee the stability of the coins they conserve. How can these be in problem free guaranteed holders without the nature of the restoration revealed?

Eric
  • Options
    Awesome news. The person I overheard must have been speaking conjecture. Glad to hear the toning is original!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I won't reveal specifics about the full conservation process, but will say that the vast majority of the work was done with scalding hot water (which irritated my psoriasis and led to the infamous bleeding fingers) and that every coin was bathed for a substantial period of time in distilled water before being dried off. The conservation was more about procedure than chemicals. I did everything that I could to maintain the color of the coins as they were.

• Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I won't reveal specifics about the full conservation process, but will say that the vast majority of the work was done with scalding hot water (which irritated my psoriasis and led to the infamous bleeding fingers) and that every coin was bathed for a substantial period of time in distilled water before being dried off. The conservation was more about procedure than chemicals. I did everything that I could to maintain the color of the coins as they were. >>

Nice to hear the facts from source. Sorry about your fingers!

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• Options
    It was worth every second of discomfort. I have no doubt that working on this deal will be one of the highlights of my life. Hopefully I did it justice - I certainly tried.

• Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was worth every second of discomfort. I have no doubt that working on this deal will be one of the highlights of my life. Hopefully I did it justice - I certainly tried. >>

From what I have seen so far you did an incredible job. It is truly an an amazing set, I can't wait to see the set for sale.

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• Options
    We are still working that out and will have an idea in about a month. It will be a challenge.

• Options
    To have one of these in 65 ... wow. I'd just sit and stare at it all day long.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>............ too busy to count 'em all, but plenty to go around (47 in MS64, or better)

Whoa, Nelly!!! >>

Well, then. As there are an obvious surplus and they HAVE been touched by dirt, I'm willing to pay 2% over melt for PCGS slabbed MS64 and up. Ship as many as you can, overnight payment.

A guy can dream, can't he?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bid to win
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    So this one is graded a 65+

And this one is a 62+

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    PCGS will not guarantee the stability of the coins they conserve, but these are restored by someone else and they are guaranteed?

Eric

Edit to add: That is one heck of a 62+.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And this one is a 62+

image >>

Looks like a mechanical error to me, unless the photos aren't showing something.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭
    I really have the urge to bid and buy one of these. Very nice looking.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What are the common date $20 libs going to go for in 63-64? Any estimates? I'd love to have a Saddle Ridge double as my first gold coin. >>

For a common 1904 that price range is about $1,500-$1,900. But none of these are dated past 1894. And no date pre-1895 is common in MS64. There are hefty premiums for any 1891-94 "S" dates in MS64.
    In MS63 grade those might be buyable for under $2,000. It really comes down to what kind of premium is going to be asked for the pedigree. Forget anything earlier than 1891 w/o a hefty premium unless
    graded MS62 or under.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subscribe to Amazon to get updates for the sale.

It would be great to have some kind of book or hard copy catalog of the find.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>Subscribe to Amazon to get updates for the sale.

It would be great to have some kind of book or hard copy catalog of the find. >>

I think that may be in the works.

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And this one is a 62+

image >>

Looks like a mechanical error to me, unless the photos aren't showing something. >>

Quite a few hairlines showing on the cheek and the field in front of Liberty. There's probably way more when it's turned in light.

Did anyone check out the real mother lode of 1890S's? Insane!
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> …..

It would be great to have some kind of book or hard copy catalog of the find. >>

Regulated (David J. McCarthy):

I think that may be in the works. >>

Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like my prior guess was spot on with regard to assembling of a "marketing kit" as being a partial explanation for the delay for at least another month or two before the Amazon listings will be posted. Did anyone there at Kagins get a grin out of my comment several

days ago about the coins awaiting the little replica rusted cans coming from China in which to package the individual coins for sale?

(By the way really enjoyed your comments on the video from Atlanta and the hobby certainly owes you a debt of gratitude for the work you did to maintain the integrity of the coins.)
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

agree...........image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file