Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

10,000 post give-away contest (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
As is tradition around here, it is time to give back something to this wonderful forum.

I've learned a lot along the way, and also how much I don't know. Maybe just as valuable. Almost every day I pick up something new. That's pretty cool.

I've also met a lot of terrific collectors and dealers here. They've been very understanding and patient about my ignorance, always encouraging, never belittling. Thanks for going easy on me.

So, on to the contest...

This isn't going to be a big challenge. I think everyone can make good guesses. The contest is to guess how many wheat pennies are in the pile shown in the photo (yes, they are all wheaties). One guess per member. No edits allowed.

The first to guess it correctly wins. If no one guesses it exactly the winner will be the first member whose guess is closest. In the event of a tie, it will be broken by the closest guess to the earliest date/MM in the pile of wheaties. (No need to guess that now. Let's wait to see if there is a tie.)

As a prize, the winner can choose the pile of wheat cents (there are many early mint-marked ones). Or the 1819/8 capped bust half dollar pictured (large 9, O.102). I'd grade it F12 and it has some light, old pin scratches on the obverse. I doubt it would grade cleanly. But it's a cool variety. And hey, it's free!

Contest ends on Friday/7th 6PM PST.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions here!
Lance.

---------------------------------------------------------------
RESULTS: As you can see from the stacks of 10 pennies below, the correct answer is 293. No one guessed it exactly but several members were five cents off.

bolivarshagnasty guessed 288 and natetrook guessed 298. Although two others guessed 288 (coppertoning and OldIndianNutKase), bolivarshagnasty was first.

So there will now be a tie breaker between bolivaryshagnasty and natetrook. Here's the way it will work:

Each has until Monday/10th 9AM to post his guess as to the earliest date and MM in the stack of wheaties. Exact guess wins, otherwise the closest guess. The date matters more than the MM. So if the oldest coin is a 1939-S, for example, a 1939 guess beats a 1938-S.

If there is another tie (God help me), then each deserves to win and both prizes will be given away. I'll flip a coin to see who gets what.

Thanks for playing! We'll do it again at 20,000 posts...maybe.
Lance.
---------------------------------------------------------------

AND THE WINNER IS...
bolivarshagnasty, who guessed the oldest wheatie in the pile was 1910. The correct answer is below.
Lance.

imageimage

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file