Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Did anyone go to same high school w/ a future pro athlete?

2»

Comments

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>i occasionally attended the same high school where Jay Schroeder played QB on his way to UCLA & then the Skins. >>

Jay Schroeder? That's the best ya got? Come on, man. >>

yeah. why do you think i brought up my kid? image

Interesting! Be much more interesting if you add in some stories or comments on what it was like to play against them, if you could tell they were pro material even in high school, etc!!!!

lemme tell ya about Stanton. first of all, i'm too old to play against him. but, WATCHING him as a teenage phenom was a whole different story. so here's a couple.......

my son's squad goes up to another local school for an Easter tournament......keep in mind, my boy hardly played for the varsity that season as a junior, because Stanton was there.

so, in one of those games we watch him homer and it sails to center field roughly 400 feet away and as it passes over a 15-foot fence the ball is still RISING!! don't think i've ever seen another baseball still taking flight after it left the park. the scouts went nuts.

then, there was another tourney game where he hit one at least 500 feet as it left the stadium and traveled over a 3-story building. by then, team parents had become so used to it, they were laughing while he circled the bases.

it was too much fuel for one little engine. the team crashed in the playoffs that year. but, the circus which accompanied them was rather memorable. then Stanton left for the biggies.

and the next season our kids won the title.

• Went to high school in Minnesota...several NHL draft picks from my HS class, but none ever made it past the minors. However, I did graduate with Lane Kiffin.....and he hasn't changed...FYI.

• << <i>Sports Illustrated named my high school the top athletic program in the country:

Punahou School

Football - Manti Te'o, Mosi Tatupu, Mark Tuinei
    Baseball - Joey Meyer
    Golf - Michelle Wie
    Basketball - Barry Obama >>

Your welcome
  • I remember watching AROD play football in HS. Although back then he was just one of the guys. I had no idea who he was going to become. I knew him but not very well.
  • parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    South bend clay high class 86. The grudens went to my school. Jon was 4 years ahead and jay was one year ahead and I knew him. But they moved after Jon graduated.

Dean norris (hank on breaking bad) was also about 6 years ahead. I knew his sister.

That's all I got.
    -jim
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention that Jim Miller NFl QB, also went to my H.S.
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Fellas - I have to say I win this contest - the great Jim Brown went to my high school, Manhasset High.
    Nikklos
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Played three years in HS with Lloyd Moseby, who was the #2 pick in the 1978 baseball draft (behind Bob Horner). Played one year against Rickey Henderson who went to another HS.

Moseby wasn't even the best athlete at our school. Another guy was recruited heavily by colleges for football, but he wanted to play basketball and accepted a basketball scholarship to USF, which was a pretty good hoops school at the time. When he didn't make the NBA draft he tried out for the NFL and managed to play a couple of seasons as a reserve linebacker despite not having ever played a down in college.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off the top of my head

NFL - Tito Paul, Marcus Paul, Brett Williams
    MLB - Jamie Arnold
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Neil Lomax, Kevin Love and Katy Steding went to my highschool >>

You forgot to mention Salim Stoudemire! He was fun to watch in hs.

I went to milwaukie so I watched him play often.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    My HS, Griffin HS, Griffin GA is a football factory. On this list I played softball many times
    against Willie Gault. It was almost impossible to throw him out at first base on
    a routine infield groundball.
    I played baseball with the 2 older brothers of Jeff Treadway. Although Jeff was
    obviously a good player to have stuck around the major leagues for several years in my opinion
    he had one brother who was much better (drafted by the Expos and blew out a knee in his 1st or 2nd year)
    and another brother who was just as good as Jeff.

Professional football players
    Bobby Rainey
    Toby Jackson
    Sherrod Martin
    Gregory McCrary
    Alton Montgomery
    Dwayne Morgan
    Ben Talley
    Jessie Tuggle
    Johnathan Sullivan
    Randy Baldwin
    John Brewer
    Charlie Clemons
    Chris Clemons
    Nic Clemons
    Stacey Driver
    Omar Ellison
    Willie Gault (and Olympic athlete)
    Freddie Gilbert

Professional baseball players
    Tim Beckham
    Jeff Treadway

Professional basketball players
    Darrin Hanc---ock (his name is a bad word according CU)
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    There have been several athletes from Wando HS in Mt. Pleasant SC, but guys who were actually at the school while I was there were a couple of NFL All Pros (neither of whom was recruited to play D1 football)

Dexter Coakley - LB for Dallas Cowboys

Travis Jervey RB/Special Teams - Green Bay, etc. (NFL's Fastest Man)
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    my small high school in Swannanoa, NC (Owen High) produced a player in each sport: Baseball, Football and Basketball

Sammy Steward (orioles pitcher)
    Brad Johnson (Skins, Vikings and Tampa Bay QB)
    Brad Daugherty (Cleveland Cavs)

www.brunkauctions.com

• DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    Forgot about my dad. He went to Roosevelt High school in East Los Angeles. Willie Davis...long time Dodger center fielder..was a couple years ahead of him. My dad said that when Willie signed with the Dodgers, he bought a brand new convertible and was about the happiest person in the world. My dad was also on the football team with future Heisman trophy winner and Super Bowl champ Mike garrett. My dad said it took six guys to tackle Garrett in practice.
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I went to a Catholic H.S. in Illinois and Mike Prior (safety for about 14 years in the NFL) and even intercepted Drew Bledsoe in the Super Bowl, was 2 years ahead of me. And more prominently, Rodney Harrison (ALL PRO safety for Chargers and Patriots) started 2 years after I graduated.
  • 1975 JHS, Ar "Danimal" Dan Hampton NFL HOF He only played football his Jr. and Sr. year and was in the band prior to that.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I have a collection of around 200 high school years with spots notables, many hof and/or heisman.

I have also been working on a directly of such the last couple years.

For example, I went to South High in Wichita, Kansas

Wichita South High School (9-12) (Sceptre)
    (701 West 33rd Street South; Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas 67217)
    (Established 1959)
    1967: Don Johnson, Donnie Wayne Johnson (Senior) (Actor; University of Kansas-Lawrence; Stanley Cole in The Harrad Experiment [1973]; Detective James Crockett on Miami Vice [1984-1990, 111 Episodes]; Harry Madox in The Hot Spot [1990]; Paul Verrall in Born Yesterday [1993]; Insp. Nash Bridges on Nash Bridges [1996-2001, 122 Episodes]; 1986 Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a TV-Series, Drama - 'Miami Vice'; Hollywood Walk of Fame Star [1996, 7080 Hollywood Blvd.]) (confirmed - 7 photos)
    1978: Allen Lyday (Senior) (Football Player, Cornerback/Safety; Texas Southern University-Houston; University of Nebraska-Lincoln; Houston Oilers 1984-1987 [36 Games])
    1983: Lawrence D. Pete (age 17 ref, 18 Jan 1966) (Football Player, Defensive Tackle/Nose Tackle; University of Nebraska-Lincoln; University of Nebraska Football Hall of Fame [2011]; Detroit Lions 1989 NFL 5th Rd Draft Pick, 115th Overall; Detroit Lions 1989-1993 [61 Games])
    1997: Jenny Croft (age 17 ref, 27 during The Bachelor Season 11 [2011]) (Cheerleader/Television Reality Show Personality; Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader; Miami Heat Dancer; Phoenix Suns Dancer; Finalist on The Bachelor Season 11 [2011, Runner-Up])

In many/most examples I have more then is listed in say wiki. Post your high school if you guys want after this posting and I will post what I have for you.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I went to HS with Gary Leonard, who went on to play at Mizzou and then a couple of years with the Timberwolves. He was one year ahead of me in HS and was already about 6'10" back then.

What was really a sight is that he was friends in HS with a "little person" (a dwarf), so you'd see this massively tall guy talking to this very short guy. They hung out in the hallways a lot, I can still picture them together.

Also, a girl who was one of my classmates is a distant cousin of Rich Dauer, who played 2B for the Orioles in the 80s. One of my good friends and I collected baseball cards back then, and anytime we'd get a Rich Dauer card, we would say, "there's her cousin" image.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Growing up in Maine we didn't have anyone in my HS that played pro ball, but I did play against Perry Carter in 1986 in a preseason tournament. He went onto play for Ohio State then played pro ball overseas. However my dad was teammates with HOF football player Dan Dierdorf. I believe they won the Canton city football championship in 1966 (Glennwood)
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    Closest I've got is living two doors down in the dorm from former Rangers star Rusty Greer in college.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and Shayne Kelley, Josh Hamilton's accountability coach went to my high school a year ahead of me.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>I went to HS with Gary Leonard, who went on to play at Mizzou and then a couple of years with the Timberwolves. He was one year ahead of me in HS and was already about 6'10" back then.

What was really a sight is that he was friends in HS with a "little person" (a dwarf), so you'd see this massively tall guy talking to this very short guy. They hung out in the hallways a lot, I can still picture them together.

Also, a girl who was one of my classmates is a distant cousin of Rich Dauer, who played 2B for the Orioles in the 80s. One of my good friends and I collected baseball cards back then, and anytime we'd get a Rich Dauer card, we would say, "there's her cousin" image. >>

Belleville High School-East (9-12)
    (2555 West Boulevard; Belleville, St. Clair County, Illinois 62221)
    (Established 1966)
    (Also known as Belleville Township High School East)
    1971: Barbara G. Fast (Senior) (Female United States Army Officer, Major General; Central Missouri State University; University of Missouri-Columbia, MO [B.S.]; Boston University [M.S. 1980]; Years of Service: 1976-Jul 2008; Commander of the 66th Military Intelligence Group; Deputy Chief of Staff of G2 2nd Armored Division; Commander of the 163rd Military Intelligence Battalion; Best known as being the senior military intelligence officer in charge of setting up the Joint Interrogation and Debriefing Center in Iraq, Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison, and serving during the period of time when the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse occurred [2003-2004])
    1981: Mark Hollmann (Senior) (Composer/Lyricist; Co-Recipient [w/Greg Kotis] of the 2002 Tony Award for Best Original Score - ''Urinetown')
    1984: Gary Francis Leonard (age 17 ref, 16 Feb 1967) (Basketball Player, Center; University of Missouri-Columbia, MO 1985/86-1988/89; Minnesota Timberwolves 1989 NBA 2nd Rd Draft Pick, 34th Overall; Minnesota Timberwolves 1989/90 [22 Games]; Atlanta Hawks 1990/91-1991/92 [9 Games])
    1990: Matt Russell, Matthew Jason Russell (age 17 ref, 5 Jul 1973) (Football Player, Linebacker; University of Colorado-Boulder, CO; 1996 Consensus All-American; 1996 Butkus Award; Colorado Athletic Hall of Fame [2012]; Detroit Lions 1997 NFL 4th Rd Draft Pick, 130th Overall; Detroit Lions 1997 [14 Games])
    1994: Nathan William Hodel (age 17 ref, 11 Nov 1977) (Football Player, Long Snapper; University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; 2001 NFL Draft, Undrafted; Carolina Panthers 2001 Undrafted Free Agent; Carolina Panthers Practice Squad 2001; Arizona Cardinals Practice Squad 2001; Arizona Cardinals 2002-2008 [112 Games]; New England Patriots 2009 Preseason; Detroit Lions 2009 [1 Game]; Played in Super Bowl [2009])
    1999: Randy David Wells (age 17 ref, 28 Aug 1982) (Baseball Player, Right-Handed Pitcher; Southwestern Illinois College-Belleville, IL; Chicago Cubs 2002 MLB 38th Rd June Amateur Draft Pick, 1143rd Overall; Toronto Blue Jays 2008; Chicago Cubs 2008-Present)
    2004: Kyle Calloway (age 17 ref, 21 Jun 1987) (Football Player, Offensive Tackle; University of Iowa-Iowa City, IA; Buffalo Bills 2010 NFL 7th Rd Draft Pick, 216th Overall; Buffalo Bills 2010 Preseason; Baltimore Ravens 2011 Preseason)
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • I went to middle school with Tony Stewart. He would get in trouble in science class for drawing pictures of go carts instead of doing his lab work.

NFL players Blair Kiel (Green Bay, Tampa Bay and Indianapolis) and current player Stevie Brown (Oakland, Carolina, Indianapolis and NY Giants).

My dad went to HS with George McGinnis (Pacers)

Jason
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else go to school with any pro athletes or even famous people in general? >>

Yes!

Ryan Seacrest, media mogul
    Kip Pardue, film actor
    Doug Gjertsen, gold medalist swimmer in the 1988 Seoul Olympics
    Carlton Bruner, Olympic swimmer, member of the 1996 USA Olympic Swim team 1996 United States Olympic Trials (swimming)
    Harris Barton, former NFL football player
    Idrees Bashir, former NFL football player
    Orantes Grant, former NFL football player
    Dexter Jackson, NFL football player
    Jeff Abbott, former major league baseball player
    Jeff Arnold, founder of webmd website
    Shaina M. Freeman, actress on Gullah Gullah Island
    Malik Jackson, CFL player for the Calgary Stampeders
    Chris Singleton, forward for the Washington Wizards
    Corey White, NFL player
    Alex Caskey, currently fa for Seattle Sounders FC of Major League Soccer
    Jeff Williams, poker player
    Victoria Arnold, video editor/multimedia producer for the University of Georgia, live cameraman for ESPN Outside the Lines
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    Seahawks Runningback Chris Warren graduated about 12 years before me at my highschool. I went to a singing recently and got him to sign a seahawks pic and had him write Robinson High School on it.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Graduated with Jose Cruz Jr and Jeff DaVanon in High School ('92) and Chuck Knoblauch's older brother was my freshman year football coach. Story involving the latter would have been national news if it happened today.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    The wrestling folks will recognize Nelson Frazier, Jr. AKA Viscera, Mabel, Big Daddy V. RIP

He was a few years ahead of me but that might be all we had.
  • rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭
    Went to a Catholic High School just outside Baltimore.

Juan Dixon was 5 years ahead of me. And during my senior year (and his), Terps won the National title. He came back to school for a day right after that to celebrate. Needless to say, there was not much work done that day.

Other notables:

Gary Neal, NBA player - I actually graduated with him.
    Jack McClinton, Univ. of Miami star - Has played mostly overseas after being drafted by the Spurs 4 years ago,
    Dave Boswell, MLB pitcher - Won 20 games with Twins in 1969.
    Duane Ferrell, NBA player - Part of 1982 High School National Champs. Played a few years for the Hawks after a solid career at Georgia Tech.
    Sam Palmisano, CEO of IBM
    Mel Kiper Jr, often obnoxious NFL draft 'guru'

Played against Victor Abiamiri (Eagles DE).

Lots of other notables within the conference:

Mark Teixeira and Gavin Floyd were teammates at the same school (a few years ahead of me). Teixeira was a fleet footed SS and Floyd had 3 different 'fastballs', the slowest of which was about 88 mph.
    Frank DeFord, sportswriter
    Jim Schwartz, Lions head coach
    Mark Shapiro, Indians GM
    Tom Clancy, author
    Jim McKay, wide world of sports
    Jason La Canfora, NFL analyst
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I went to Lakewood High School in Saint Petersburg Florida. Here's our alumni:

1. Jeff Cameron, (Talk Show Host, ESPN Radio), [FSU Pre-Game Show Host]

2. Lynn Barry, basketball player

3. William Floyd - Florida State/SF49ers/CPanthers

4. Aveion Cason Football RB/KR St. Louis Rams, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions and UFL Florida Tuskers

5. Rashod Moulton Football DB Mississippi/Practice squads of Jacksonville Jaguars/Denver Broncos

6. Cornell Green Football OT Central Florida/World League/NY Jets/Buccaneers/Broncos/Raiders/Bills

7. Ernest Givins - University of Louisville/Houston Oilers/Jacksonville Jaguars

8. Billy DeCola - Member of TLC channel's NY Ink television show.

9. Tom Carter - Football/Track Notre Dame/Washington Redskins/Chicago Bears/Cincinnati Bengals

10. Tim Carter - Football/Track Auburn University/N.Y Giants/Cleveland Browns/Houston Texans

11. Pat Terrell - University of Notre Dame/Los Angeles Rams/N.Y. Jets/Carolina Panthers/Green Bay Packers

12. Nicole Haislett ('90)--1992 2-time Olympic Gold Medal Swimmer (Barcelona)

13. William Packer - Movie Producer - Stomp the Yard - This Christmas- etc.

14. Rose Richmond - 2004 USA Olympic Team

15. Louis Murphy - University of Florida/NFL wide receiver for the Oakland Raiders, Carolina Panthers and New York Giants

16. Timothy L. Tyler - Federal inmate sentenced under mandatory minimums to life in prison for possession and distribution of LSD.

17. Patrick Carter - Georgia Tech/Louisville-NFL wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins, Denver Broncos, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and UFL Hartford Colonials

18. Jeff Frederick - Former member of Virginia House of Delegates and Chairman of the Republican Party of Virginia

19. Anthony Lawrence - Former International Basketball Player

#16's parents must be very proud! lol
  • My wife went to high school with Lou Michaels. Lou and his brother Walt Michaels were her neighbors and I met them both a few times. [Swoyersville PA] 1951-1955
  • PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Didn't go to HS with any pros, but I had a buddy that played in a HS All-Star Summer league against Ken Griffey Jr. and Mark Lewis.

The way we told the story (and this is back in 1987), Griffey is going to be real good, but you gotta see this Mark Lewis - he is AWESOME!
  • I went to high school with former Patriots and Saints defensive back Randall Gay. Everyone here knows him as "Blue". All things considered, he had one hell of a ride...winning a BCS national championship with LSU in 2003 and 2 superbowls (XXXIX with the Patriots and XLIV with the Saints).

We played baseball together growing up, and the first time I saw him running bases I remember thinking I'd never seen anyone run so fast in my life. He's one of those guys that just seemed to excel at everything he tried. It's worth noting that despite being on the obvious fast-track to an athletic scholarship during high school, he was still a great student and human being.
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Fun topic.

I played a lot of tennis down in Bakersfield, CA and during the 80's (my wheel house), it produced Marianne Werdel, Cami Benjamin and Hank Pfister. Not superstars, but they certainly played in the majors.

My high school years had Otis Jennings who briefly played for the Atlanta Hawks and Michael Stewart who played for the Rams.

Also, I delivered newspapers to Jeff Siemon's parents. One day when I was collecting money, they had a football card on the refrigerator and I asked if they were related to Jeff. They took it in stride and assured me he was their son.
    IWTDMBII
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Basketball players Davis West and John Wall. American Idol season 10 winner Scotty McCreery.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Eric Chavez, 3rd basemen with the A's and Yankees. Mt Carmel High School, San Diego in the 1990's.

I was far from an athlete, and far from hanging with that crowd so I never knew him, although I did play little league against him. It was a man vs. boys out there. It was quite remarkable how advanced he was past all the other 11-12 year olds. Can't say I was shocked he made it
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Went to Arundel high in Maryland with Denny Neagle, was two years ahead of him, he was on team as Sophomore when I was a Senior.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to High School with NHL Player Bob Corkum, when I was a Freshman he was a Senior.
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I was friends with Ben Sheets in high school.

His older brother and I would sit in the stands at his basketball games (he was a better basketball player than baseball player for a long time, believe it or not) and heckle him.

Last time I saw him was when he pitched for the Braves.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Braves!

I was surprised how many NFL guys and Olympic athletes came from my high school. Sadly, if it weren't for Wikipedia, I might've never known.

But more surprising is how many other forumites have similar situations where a dozen or more (which is a lot!) famous athletes came from their school system. What does that say about statistics? Are the famous athletes concentrated to certain schools in major cities? or do we have so many athletes that every school produces a decent number?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE