Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did anyone go to same high school w/ a future pro athlete?

I recently found out that the pro baseball player Jerry Zimmerman and I went to the same high school (with many years in between).

Others that went to same high school as me:
Latin Barry- former NFL player
Tonya Harding- figure skater/pro knee capper

Now for the trivia, which high school did I attend?

Anyone else go to school with any pro athletes or even famous people in general?

Comments

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    My high school has had a few baseball players drafted through the years, but no one that really had much of a career in MLB. Maybe one or two guys in the late 70's, early 80's pitched in the major leagues for a couple of seasons.

I played high school football against Donovan McNabb once. That's pretty much the only time I was on the field with a future pro athlete.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Pat LaFontaine, he was a grade ahead of me. My older brother went to school with Kirk Gibson. High School was Waterford Kettering.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one that I know of. Ron Blazier pitched for the Phillies for a few years in the mid 90s. He played for the same LL team I did but was a few years behind me. I played baseball against a future pro basketball player, Doug West, who played for Villanova and then the Minnesota T-Wolves in the late 80s/early 90s.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Many years apart, but Kevin Tapani went to my high school. He was an MLB starting pitcher, primarily with the Twins and Cubs (won a WS ring with the Twins in 91). Was the quarterback of the high school football team the last time our school won the Michigan H.S. State Championship.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    I did not go to school with any pro athlete but I did play with a couple pro's and also played against many as well.
    The 2 I played with are Matt Schneider who played many years in the NHL and Steve Tepper which i'm sure nobody knows(He played 1 game in the NHL)
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to HS with Kenny Anderson, who was two years behind me. Other pro athletes from my HS (Archbishop Molloy) included Kenny Smith, Brian Winters and Mike Baxter from the Mets. Lou Carnesseca was the basketball coach before the legendary Jack Curran.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I went to high school with NFL kicker Jason Elam. We were one year apart.

Also, the same school has produced NFL players Mansfield Wrotto (OL), Stephon Heyer(OL), and most recently Rennie Curran (LB). MLB pitcher Jason Bulger went there too.

Edit to add: Olympic swimmer Amanda Weir went there too.
  • Options

<< <i>I did not go to school with any pro athlete but I did play with a couple pro's and also played against many as well.
    The 2 I played with are Matt Schneider who played many years in the NHL and Steve Tepper which i'm sure nobody knows(He played 1 game in the NHL) >>

Scneider played at Mount Saint Charles. Are you from Rhode Island like me? Mount also produced NHLers Brian Boucher, Garth Snow and Brian Berard. My little brother played at Mount years later.

I grew up in Cumberland, RI, with Rocco Baldelli, but he went to a private high school and I went to CHS. I played basketball against Tony Robertson when he played for St Ray's (Raphael's). Robertson went on to play SG for UCONN
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    Rich Tylski graduated one year before me.
    Ian Clarkin just graduated from my alma mater last year.
  • Options
    Yes Chris Simms
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I did not go to school with any pro athlete but I did play with a couple pro's and also played against many as well.
    The 2 I played with are Matt Schneider who played many years in the NHL and Steve Tepper which i'm sure nobody knows(He played 1 game in the NHL) >>

Scneider played at Mount Saint Charles. Are you from Rhode Island like me? Mount also produced NHLers Brian Boucher, Garth Snow and Brian Berard. My little brother played at Mount years later.

I grew up in Cumberland, RI, with Rocco Baldelli, but he went to a private high school and I went to CHS. I played basketball against Tony Robertson when he played for St Ray's (Raphael's). Robertson went on to play SG for UCONN >>

You are correct, he played at the Mount. I did not go there. I played Junior hockey with him.
    Played against many ex NHL'ers. Bill Guerin is another who played for the Springfield Pics.
    I am from Framingham , Mass
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Oh and my wife is cousins with MLB reliever Chad Paronto (her maiden name)

Here is more on Scheider:
    Schneider was born in Manhattan, New York. He lived with his family throughout the state of New Jersey until moving to Woonsocket, Rhode Island, for his high school years. In Woonsocket, Schneider attended high school at Mount Saint Charles Academy. Under the tutelage of coach Normand "Bill" Belisle, Schneider and his team won three of the school's 26 straight Rhode Island state hockey championships. He left Mount Saint Charles after his junior year and joined the Cornwall Royals of the Ontario Hockey League.
  • Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Pro womens golfer Betsy King graduated from the same high school I did a decade before me .

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Dupont Manual, Louisville KY... most famous alum is Pee Wee Reese, although way before my time. I went there with Travis Prentice and Keenan Burton followed (both NFL for short period). Was also there with Sarah Gettlefinger (Broadway) and Nicole Scherzinger (Pu**y Cat Dolls) for all that it's worth.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I went to the same high school as Mark Kotsay and Rod Barajas. They were seniors when I was a freshman.
    Astronaut Tammy Jernagan was a great volleyball player at my school as well.
    Probably the most famous was Joe Gibbs.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No pro athletes but I went to school from the 6th to the 11th grades with and was friends with actress Holly Hunter. This was in Conyers Ga in the early 70s.
    James
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I went to school with a coupla Beers
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    There are more but Derek Jeter and Greg Jennings from Kalamazoo Central years after me.

That is ALL I have in common with them, though.
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Jon Kitna & Lawyer Malloy. Both graduated a couple years before I got there. Met them several times though while they were still high school athletes.

Frank Herbert also graduated from there.
  • Options
    Went to high school with former NFL Punter Derrick Frost. His dad was also my coach when I played. And while it was 10 years after I graduated, Jarius Byrd also went to my high school. On a related note, my mom went to school and lived in the same neighborhood as actor Kevin Klien
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jon Kitna & Lawyer Malloy. Both graduated a couple years before I got there. Met them several times though while they were still high school athletes.

Frank Herbert also graduated from there. >>

with years in between that I can think of off the top of my head:

Pierson Prioleau
    Courtney Brown
    Joe Hamilton
    others:
    Harvey Middleton - Ga Tech. Didn't make the NFL I don't believe. One of my best friends is his cousin.
    I ran track senior year with Clifton Dingle. Who later played 4 years at Penn State, never made the pros.
    Ran track vs Curtis Brown. Who later played on Alabama's 1992 National Title winning team.

I was a senior in 88, Hamilton was 11, I think at the time. Everyone knew then he would be a star. Same for Court. They had "it"
  • Options
    I went to elementary school with BC/Miami Dolphins NT John Bosa (he was a couple years ahead of me). My father went to HS with Brian Picolo and my mother went to HS with Bob Kraft.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris Mullin was a senior when I was a freshman at Xaverian High School in Brooklyn, N.Y.
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Sports Illustrated named my high school the top athletic program in the country:

Punahou School

Football - Manti Te'o, Mosi Tatupu, Mark Tuinei
    Baseball - Joey Meyer
    Golf - Michelle Wie
    Basketball - Barry Obama

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A family friend and high school classmate, Shannon Myers, had a brief stint in the NFL. Interestingly enough, he found a new career on a NASCAR pit team after his playing days were over. Here is an article detailing it all:
    Shannon Myers
  • Options
    I went to the same high school as Kent Hrbek. He graduated about a decade before I did.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    The only one I know of is Dick LeBeau, although a long time before I attended!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i occasionally attended the same high school where Jay Schroeder played QB on his way to UCLA & then the Skins.

my son played a little bit of baseball with Giancarlo Stanton when they still called him Mike.
  • Options
    Bobby Castillo graduated from the high school I attended about 15 years before I did.

Bobby Castillo, Dodger pitcher

For a while Alejandro Pena lived in a house caddy corner from the high school I attended.

Alejandro Pena, Dodgers and Braves pitcher

and boxer Oscar De La Hoya went to the same high school I did in the same year, but only for 9th grade.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I went to high school on Long Island with NFL player Jumbo Elliott who was two years ahead of me. Also, from my high school were MLB pitcher Neal Heaton and NBA player Jeff Ruland.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Two years behind GM Kevin Towers. He was an All Star pitcher, I doubled off him in Babe Ruth league. Dick then and dick now.
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Interesting! Be much more interesting if you add in some stories or comments on what it was like to play against them, if you could tell they were pro material even in high school, etc!!!!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 4:02PM
  • Options
    Scott Leius hero of the '91 World Series on twins
    Michael o'keefe the actor who played Danny noonan in caddy shack

I think holly hunter is the best hit in this break
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I graduated from the same school as Tony Smith of the Lakers, Jerry Smith who played briefly with the Nets, and most notably Devin Harris of the Mavs.

I don't know any of em, I met Devin a few times when he was in high school, but I had graduated by the time he got rolling. My sister graduated with him, and I guess he attended their 10 year high school reunion, which I thought was pretty cool.
  • Options
    He was the Star Quarter Back for Suffern High School, NY. We played on the same field together... expect I only got to play during half time while he was in the locker room. Yup... I was in the marching band! (LOL)

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i occasionally attended the same high school where Jay Schroeder played QB on his way to UCLA & then the Skins. >>

Jay Schroeder? That's the best ya got? Come on, man.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Scott Erickson (Twins)
    Sean Dawkins (Colts)

And while not athletes, and years ahead of me, Jobs and Wozniak.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I should probably add that while I didn't graduate from this school, I currently teach at the school where MLB Commish Bud Selig and Milwaukee Bucks owner and Senator Herb Kohl graduated (now considered an "inner city" or "failing" school). Latrell Spreewell also graduated from our school, . If I ever learned anything from those bozos it's don't ask them for donations for new baseball uniforms and especially don't ask them for help when it comes to remodeling the gym.

Extra bonus: NFL Fullback Pat Harder graduated from Washington, and Gene Wilder also attended the school I teach at. Not sure if anyone ever reached out to him for any donations hough.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff Hammonds was 2 years ahead of me. Renaldo Nehemiah also graduated from my HS.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    My gym teacher was Sam Baker in JH I think he kicked for the redskins. I went to Federal Way High in Federal Way WA. Michael Dickerson was 2 years before me he went on to play for AZ then drafted in the first RD by the Hawks. We had three HS in Federal way Apollo Ohono? Spelling. Went to Decator Hi a current Olympic speed skater also went to Decator. And Kenny Mayne ? Spelling again. He was on ESPN went to Thomas Jefferson HS. There are others I can remember their names right now.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    Cool thread.

Not me personally that i know of............ But my dad graduated with

Stump merrill (yankees skipper) and used to hear stories of him showing up
    wearing all the bling at the reunions.

To add but im a RED SOX fan.
    Dansco BU washie set empty holes:
    32d,32s,34d,35d,36d,37,37d,37s,38,38s,39s.
  • Options
    My spouse went to school with Tim Brown and is still FB friends with him and his sister. I went to school with Spud Webb and Larry Johnson. Ironically, I have a HS yearbook for sale on Ebay that has both Collin Kershaw and Matthew Stafford. They both went to Highland Park HS in Dallas, Tx
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Corey Brewer - Minnesota Timberwolves - NBA - 7th pick overall

He was younger than me, but we went to the same High School.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    None really from my high school, but my wife's high school a couple miles away had quite a few... Massillon Washington High School produced the following:

Andy Alleman (Saints/Dolphins/Chiefs/Colts 2007-2010)
    Paul Brown (Pro Football HOF)
    Earle Bruce (College Football HOF Coach)
    Shawn Crable (Patriots/Jets 2008-2010)
    Bill Edwards (College Football HOF Coach)
    Dennis Franklin (Michigan’s first black quarterback, played for the Lions)
    Horace Gillom (Cleveland Browns 1947–1956)
    Jim Houston (Cleveland Browns 1960–1972)
    Lin Houston (Cleveland Browns 1946–1953)
    Don James (College Football HOF Coach)
    Tommy James (Lions/Browns/Colts 1947–1956)
    Ed Molinski (College Football HOF Guard)
    Chris Spielman (Lions/Bills/Browns 1988-1999)
    Harry Stuhldreher (College Football HOF/Notre Dame Four Horseman)

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Rick Monday and Tim Leary went to my high school, although not when I was there.
    While I was there Sean Penn was the class ahead of me, Rob Lowe the same class, and Lee Arenberg & Emilio Estevez the year behind. Ry Cooder, Carson Daly, John Ehrlichman, Charlie Sheen and a bunch of others at other times. Our district includes Santa Monica and Malibu, so it's pretty diverse.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    KyndbrothaKyndbrotha Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    Neil Lomax, Kevin Love and Katy Steding went to my highschool
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I went to school in Northern California near the Oregon border and the alumni of pro athletes is not too long....Garth and Dane Iorg both played pro baseball and a reason why I am a Cardinal fan today. Garth and Dane's parents lived in our small town of 1,000 people. Dane had the game winning hit against the Cardinals in Game 6 in 1985 (I was rooting for a walk or a different Game 7) and he also had a good World Series in 1982. There was a LPGA golfer Chris Johnson and a great triathlete Mike Pigg. I had some high school classes with the drummer from Hoobastank, Chris Hesse.

I coached wrestling at a school in the same league as Arcata, Eureka High School and got future college football Bednarik Award winner Rey Maualuga to wrestle for me his junior year. There was way too much on the line to ask him to come out for his senior year with his scholarship to USC. On a side note, the first time the Eureka wrestling tournament was brought back Sara Bareilles sang the national anthem. Her dad and uncle have an office a block away from mine today.

About two weeks ago my brother-in-law was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. The episode is All Things New York. I thought I may have made the background, but didn't make the cut. Guy went to a high school not too far from here.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Richie Incognito. one of my HS wrestling coach was Dan Severn and with the lead singer of theFormat/FUN. Was crazy watching him get an Emmy last year.
  • Options
    Two of my teammates in high school went on to be teammates for the Marlins in the 90's... Chuckie Carr played about 5 seasons in the majors and Greg Colbrunn (who was also my neighbor) played about 12 years in the majors and is now the Red Sox hitting coach. My best friend was center on the basketball team. We had a soft spot for his back-up because he was such a funny guy and we would take him everywhere with us. That was Sean Rooks, who played about 10 years in the NBA. I have not spoken to any of these guys in 15 years.