Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is Vlad Guerrero Cooperstown bound?

Good morning everyone. I'm not sure if this is appropriate for the sports cards and memorabilia section, but was wondering some of your thoughts on whether or not you thought Vladimir Guerrero was a possible HOF candidate? We've been having a little debate on another site about this and I say no, or at least borderline at best. He had a great batting average at over 300, but doesn't have 500 hrs, doesn't have 3000 hits, and played in the PED era. He was very good and had a 16 year career, but HOF good? Thoughts? Thanks guys, also since being back in the hobby for only a few years, I haven't collected much modern yet, but can't recall hearing that this guy's cards were much sought after? Thanks for the help.

Jimmy
Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

Comments

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Probably not first ballot but he'll get in quick. Great hitter, big numbers. As close to a lock without milestone numbers(500HR etc) as a player can get.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I've had this discussion a few times. I think he was one of the best all around players to play during the era, but he was never HOF worthy in a single attribute.

I think he is a borderline HOFer without the steroid cloud over his head, unfortunately, I cannot see him getting in.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definite hall of famer. .318 career average, hit over .300 13 times, 4 times over 200 hits, 10 times over 100 RBI, and almost 500 homeruns. Also a 9 time all star, 8 silver slugger awards, and an MVP. And he was a great fielder with a great arm, and a decent base runner. Sounds like the hall of fame to me. Not sure why people say no to him.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 79.66% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    He is the Fred McGriff type great all around player but never dominant in the league.

both should be in the hall of fame but who knows.

Eventually they will get voted in one way or the other.
    I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    He will get in
    One of the very few power hitters not linked to PED
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Are batting average and RBI stats still important?
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are batting average and RBI stats still important? >>

Ok then, OPS.
    35th all time .9312
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why did he retire at 36? That seems a little young considering that these guys train year round. His last years stats weren't bad and he played 145 games.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Why did he retire at 36? That seems a little young considering that these guys train year round. His last years stats weren't bad and he played 145 games. >>

He had knee troubles the last few years of his career. He couldn't really field anymore and could hardly run. He was a slow DH at best and no teams offered him a major league contract.
    What I Collect:

• Options
    He'll be on the ballot first in 2017 along with Mike Piazza, Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines, Curt Schilling, Mike Mussina, John Smoltz, Larry Walker, Edgar Martinez, Ivan Rodriguez, Jim Edmonds, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens.

Even if everyone voted for 10 players, doubtful he would earn 75% of votes -- and the average number of players each voter votes for is only around five

Then even after 2017, it will take six years for any of those players to be dropped from the ballot, and by then plenty of others will have joined: Derek Jeter, Chipper Jones, Ichiro, Halladay, Pujols, Helton, Pettite, Ortiz. . .
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    No

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    He is the Fred McGriff type great all around player but never dominant in the league.

Oh really? So winning the MVP is not dominant enough for you? How about if he wore leathers and had a bullwhip in his hand? ;-)
  • Options

<< <i>He is the Fred McGriff type great all around player but never dominant in the league.

Oh really? So winning the MVP is not dominant enough for you? How about if he wore leathers and had a bullwhip in his hand? ;-) >>

Not dominant? From 98-08 he was one of the most consistent and best hitters in baseball. He even had some good years after 08 as well, even though they weren't as dominant.
    What I Collect:

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I don't know. Did he buy a train ticket or is he driving? What are his hotel accommodations?
  • Options
    Looking at the responses leads me to the conclusion that there are many folks on this board who don't really follow baseball, at least in the last decade or so.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He is the Fred McGriff type great all around player but never dominant in the league. >>

Vlad was a LOT better than Fred McGriff. There was never a time when anybody was discussing whether Fred McGriff was the best player in baseball, even for a year. Vlad was frequently in that discussion.

Guerrero absolutely deserves to be in but I have the feeling he'll somehow get overlooked.
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭
    I say yes. He drove in 100+ RBIs ten times. Had 200+ hits 4 times. He was a very good player for over a decade. 9 time all-star. MVP winner. Plus he didn't wear batting gloves! That's cool....... image
  • Options
    This is a joke right?

Since when is 500hr a necessary criteria for the HOF?

Vlad didn't have the longetivity, but was a crushing dominant hitter for over a decade, and without the steroid stink hanging over him.

A good guy with an awesome attitude and demeanor. I'm glad I got to see him play several times as an Angel.

• Options
    If a player in the 50s or 60s put up vlads numbers and wasn't put in the hall, then people on these boards would probably still be crying about it all this time later. Fact is, he was a top 5 hitter in the mlb for about a decade and if you don't think that, then you obviously havnt watched much baseball the past 15 years.
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>Looking at the responses leads me to the conclusion that there are many folks on this board who don't really follow baseball, at least in the last decade or so. >>

I agree
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>Definite hall of famer. .318 career average, hit over .300 13 times, 4 times over 200 hits, 10 times over 100 RBI, and almost 500 homeruns. Also a 9 time all star, 8 silver slugger awards, and an MVP. And he was a great fielder with a great arm, and a decent base runner. Sounds like the hall of fame to me. Not sure why people say no to him. >>

Since when is 449 almost 500?

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that Vlad may get caught in the same boat as Jeff Bagwell. Vlad might get tarnished by the fact his is a Dominican player and so many of them have been linked to PEDs. That party boat may add another member when Big Papi retires.

Bagwell never was officially linked but I think some voters are holding it against him.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>He is the Fred McGriff type great all around player but never dominant in the league.

Oh really? So winning the MVP is not dominant enough for you? How about if he wore leathers and had a bullwhip in his hand? ;-) >>

Not dominant? From 98-08 he was one of the most consistent and best hitters in baseball. He even had some good years after 08 as well, even though they weren't as dominant. >>

McGriff was top 10 in voting for MVP 6 times so what ? the same exact amount as Guerrero except Guerrero won once.

They are the same type of player along with Dawson . ... to me at least

Like I said I think Vlad will get in one way or the other .....But...he's never once led the league in either batting average, on-base percentage, or slugging percentage. Never once led the league in home runs, never once in RBI. I'm not trying to say that you *have* to have led the league in one of those categories to be a HoFer, but I would say that it's pretty unusual for a power-hitting outfielder of HoF caliber *not* to have ever done that.

oh and he was not the best defensive player, hell of an arm though in his early career
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Definite hall of famer. .318 career average, hit over .300 13 times, 4 times over 200 hits, 10 times over 100 RBI, and almost 500 homeruns. Also a 9 time all star, 8 silver slugger awards, and an MVP. And he was a great fielder with a great arm, and a decent base runner. Sounds like the hall of fame to me. Not sure why people say no to him. >>

Since when is 449 almost 500? >>

well compared to 200
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    If not something is wrong. He'll get in.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He had eight seasons with 30 or more HRs and a .300 or better BA. To toss that into context, Ted Williams (8), Willie Mays (8), Mickey Mantle (7), Joe DiMaggio (6), Stan Musial (6), Mel Ott (6), and Frank Robinson (6).

The fourth highest BA (.318) by a right-handed hitter over the last 50 years, trailing only Albert Pujols (.321), Miguel Cabrera (.321), and Kirby Puckett (.318+).

Players with at least a .318 BA and 449 HRs in MLB history - Babe Ruth, Stan Musial, Jimmy Foxx, Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Albert Pujols,…….and Guerrero.

His OPS+, one of the best statistics for gauging a player's worth, is higher than that of Ken Griffey, Jr., Roberto Clemente, George Brett, and Eddie Murray, for example.

When he entered the league, he was a 5-tool player. He was maniacal at the plate, yet he never once struck out 100 times in a season. He had a bazooka attached to his right arm. Had he played on a grass surface his first eight seasons instead of a slab of concrete covered by plastic, I not only think his career would have been prolonged, but the traditional milestones that far too many people rely on would have been easily surpassed.

If he doesn't belong, they better stick a moving van at the front door of the HoF and start loading it up.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    First, forget about comparing him to other eras, as Vlad played during the height of the live ball era, and even the advanced measurements don't accurately account for that huge advantage.

So, stay in the era.

Below are the contemporaries with a higher OPS+ than Vlad. Not included are the obvious Mcgwire type PED guys that have no shot of getting in.

Pujols 165
    Thomas 156
    M. Cabrerra 154
    Bagwell 149
    E. Martinez 147
    Thome 147
    Belle 144
    Berkman 144
    Piazza 143
    K. Mitchell 142
    Chipper 141
    L. Walker 141

Vlad 140

Dave Ortiz 139
    Delgado 138
    Griffey 136

Mitchell simply didn't have enough at bats to make that 142 as meaningful.
    Walker...even though his figure is adjusted for Coors, it doesn't look like it is adjusted enough.

Looking at that list...if you are going to disregard the Manny's, Sheffield's, Giambi's, Bonds, McGwire, Arod(who are all higher, except Sheffield and Giambi who are equal), then Vlad has a claim.

If you are not going to look past the PED group, then obviously, his claim his much lessened.

Looking at defense too, he probably passes Martinez, Belle, and probably Berkman.

....But, as long as Piazza is out of the HOF with better hitting than Vlad...and it coming from the catcher position, then Vlad should be waiting!

• Options
    One of the most feared hitters during his time. He belongs.
  • Options

<< <i>....But, as long as Piazza is out of the HOF with better hitting than Vlad...and it coming from the catcher position, then Vlad should be waiting! >>

I initially missed this because we were posting simultaneously, but I do agree with this statement. As long as guys like Piazza remain on the ballot, it'll be difficult for Vlad the Impaler to walk in. My formal prediction is that it'll take a number of years, but eventually he'll go. And rightfully so.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe this is even being discussed. Of course Vlad will be a first-ballot HOF'er.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>First, forget about comparing him to other eras, as Vlad played during the height of the live ball era, and even the advanced measurements don't accurately account for that huge advantage.

So, stay in the era.

Below are the contemporaries with a higher OPS+ than Vlad. Not included are the obvious Mcgwire type PED guys that have no shot of getting in.

Pujols 165
    Thomas 156
    M. Cabrerra 154
    Bagwell 149
    E. Martinez 147
    Thome 147
    Belle 144
    Berkman 144
    Piazza 143
    K. Mitchell 142
    Chipper 141
    L. Walker 141

Vlad 140

Dave Ortiz 139
    Delgado 138
    Griffey 136

Mitchell simply didn't have enough at bats to make that 142 as meaningful.
    Walker...even though his figure is adjusted for Coors, it doesn't look like it is adjusted enough.

Looking at that list...if you are going to disregard the Manny's, Sheffield's, Giambi's, Bonds, McGwire, Arod(who are all higher, except Sheffield and Giambi who are equal), then Vlad has a claim.

If you are not going to look past the PED group, then obviously, his claim his much lessened.

Looking at defense too, he probably passes Martinez, Belle, and probably Berkman.

....But, as long as Piazza is out of the HOF with better hitting than Vlad...and it coming from the catcher position, then Vlad should be waiting! >>

Bonds will for sure make it into the hall of fame eventually even probably McGuire.
    Can they be voted in by veterans ... if so they will vote them in .....but I believe Bonds will get voted in by the writers

• Options
    Vlad was average for 1/3 of his career...

He belongs in the Hall of Very Good...

Never in the Hall of Fame...

- uncut

• Options

<< <i>Vlad was average for 1/3 of his career...

Never in the Hall of Fame... >>

Ken Griffey jr was average for a third of his career. I assume you think that his 16 year average stats are not stellar?

G PA AB R Hits 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB SO AVG OB SLG
    162 684 615 100 195 36 3 34 113 14 56 74 .318 .379 .553

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Vlad will be in within 3 years of eligibility.

What gets me is the complete disrespect that Albert Belle has had to endure. I don't care whether he ticked off the press or was an unfriendly sort, he was one of the most dominant hitters of his era and put up a 10 year stretch that no voter should ignore. However, he's been virtually ignored by almost all of the writers. Very sad, especially when you look at his 162 game average for the duration of his career.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Eventually yes. Comparable to Willie Stargell,Duke Snider,Jim Rice and Wilton Guerrero.
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭
    3rd ballot HOFer all the way!!!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not 1st ballot...but he's a hofer IMO
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

LUDICROUS.

• Options
    Compare the careers of Kirby Puckett and Vlad Guerrero, and then explain why Puckett is first ballot HOF'er and Vlad is not. Eliminate the career cut short sympathy vote and the two World Series wins arguments and confine the argument to who was the better hitter.
  • Options

what 1/3 was average? He hit over .300 every year except 2 and those years he hit .290 and .295, and one was a shortened season. He was undoubtedly above average almost every season he played.
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>Vlad was average for 1/3 of his career... >>

That was quite the statement.

96 - he had 27 total ABs
    97 - RoY (6)
    98 - MVP (13)
    99 - MVP (11)
    00 - MVP (6)
    01 - MVP (24)
    02 - MVP (4)
    03 - MVP (17)
    04 - MVP (1)
    05 - MVP (3)
    06 - MVP (9)
    07 - MVP (3)
    08 - MVP (14)
    09 - --------
    10 - MVP (11)
    11 - --------

If he has to wait longer than 3 years, it's a travesty.

• Options

<< <i>Compare the careers of Kirby Puckett and Vlad Guerrero, and then explain why Puckett is first ballot HOF'er and Vlad is not. Eliminate the career cut short sympathy vote and the two World Series wins arguments and confine the argument to who was the better hitter. >>

probably because of Puckett's 1988 season and his ability to lead the league in hits , rbi and ba categories during his career.
  • Options

<< <i>

Ken Griffey jr was average for a third of his career. I assume you think that his 16 year average stats are not stellar?

G PA AB R Hits 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB SO AVG OB SLG
    162 684 615 100 195 36 3 34 113 14 56 74 .318 .379 .553 >>

same issue
    Griffey was a league leader in multiple years for hr , slug, and rbi while Guerrero never did . He just never had that kind of dominant season that stood out. Yeah he was good but....those things count. Griffey was a much better ball player for a nice stretch and had a nice long career. Besides umm ever see Griffey play outfield !

but again I am not saying only way Vlad will get into the Hall of Fame is through buying a ticket.
  • Options
    I think he's a lock to make it. One of the best of his era, a feared hitter, great arm. I'd put him in before Bagwell. (I'd still put Bagwell in, just saying if I had to choose).

• Options
    Leading the league in any of the categories hr, RBI, and ba is often a function of the quality of the team. A great hitter on a bad team will be pitched around, and won't have as many RBI opportunities. Compare the Twins teams during Puckett's career with the Expos teams of Vlad's career.
  • Options
    his numbers are very similar to Bagwell...

look what they did to him for two years now...

he was on bad teams, he was hurt often, and the bottom line is...he was good enough - long enough...

- uncut

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, his hits and HR's seem to kinda put him on the bubble at best...maybe his .318 BA will be enough to put him over the top?
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:26,31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,131,152,165,172,189,213,235,237,240,257,259,267,269,295,310,341,344,379,377,378,389,390,406,409,412,422,423,433,453,457,480,497,518, 528,545,554,563,580,584,605,613,625,630,643
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>Leading the league in any of the categories hr, RBI, and ba is often a function of the quality of the team. A great hitter on a bad team will be pitched around, and won't have as many RBI opportunities. Compare the Twins teams during Puckett's career with the Expos teams of Vlad's career. >>

I do not know how ba would be affected by this and that is a thin excuse. No one was walked and pitched around more than Bonds and he still dominated those categories

from 2000 to 2007 Bonds BB was the highest in the league and he still murdered it
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Leading the league in any of the categories hr, RBI, and ba is often a function of the quality of the team. A great hitter on a bad team will be pitched around, and won't have as many RBI opportunities. Compare the Twins teams during Puckett's career with the Expos teams of Vlad's career. >>

I do not know how ba would be affected by this and that is a thin excuse. No one was walked and pitched around more than Bonds and he still dominated those categories

from 2000 to 2007 Bonds BB was the highest in the league and he still murdered it >>

Lol. You sir are a trollin'