Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

scratched slabs and slab holders

I'm sure many of us coin fanatics have run into the issue of scratched/rubbed slabs. It's kind of frustrating to not have that really great view because of scratches in the plastic. For my collection, I have been using (and very much liking) the 2x2 Eagle coin holders (for my foreign Music Coins collection) and their slab pages which are a nice semi-rigid plastic and "reasonably" sturdy (though I have had to replace quite a few over the years because they eventually tear or separate). At $4.75 more or less per page...they get pricy and I hear there is a new slab page that is less expensive. Haven't found them yet, however. I do believe there is some rubbing on the slab when I remove the coins from the Eagle slab "pages".

Anyway, I digress (as usual). I saw an ad for a product that is supposed to help the scratches on slabs but I don't remember the name and certainly don't know how it works, or where to get it. Does anyone have any information on this, please?

Many thanks. Alan MusicAl

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many threads on this

PlastX for plastic car headlight lens polishing

SlabRenew

Others

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    In the search box type Scratch

You can't miss them

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lens polish works well.... unless the scratch is deep (usually termed a gouge).... then it is time for a re-holder... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a lot to do then improvise.
    imageimage
    Since then I actually found a small buffing pad that lessens the rubbing. Went to Wall Mart.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the search box to search "slab restoration" for
    My thread on this subject.
  • Options
    Hello, everyone.
    Very much appreciated.

It is absolutely amazing how, no matter what the question, a bunch of great fellow collectors jump in to help me out. Thanks for the posts on scratched slabs restoration. Your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated and I will be trying out one of the recommended products as soon as I get to shopping for it.

Thanks, gentlemen!!

Alan MusicAl
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlastX, the duct tape of the plastic world.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    Hello, all.

My bottle of Plast X arrived today from Amazon.com. The coins are in the bank so next trip I'll bring the scratched slabs home and give the stuff a shot. Thank you all for your suggestions and input!

Alan
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlastX is available at most auto parts stores such as NAPA or Advance Auto.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file