Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Regrade for a Genuine --Cleaned Details coin

Have any of you sent in a Genuine--Cleaned Details coin for a regrade and gotten a grade on it other Genuine?

Comments

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    If by regrade, you mean to break it out of the Genuine holder and resubmit it, then many times.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options

<< <i>If by regrade, you mean to break it out of the Genuine holder and resubmit it, then many times. >>

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    here is another "grey area" of numismatics, it is perfectly acceptable to crack a coin from a genny holder and resubmit it, but sell it (with big clear pics) on ebay in a problem holder and someone will start a thread claiming you are a low life scammer for deceiving people, i wish some one would clarify who has the magic power to make problems go away ... without being dishonest
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>here is another "grey area" of numismatics, it is perfectly acceptable to crack a coin from a genny holder and resubmit it, but sell it (with big clear pics) on ebay in a problem holder and someone will start a thread claiming you are a low life scammer for deceiving people, i wish some one would clarify who has the magic power to make problems go away ... without being dishonest >>

You mean "problem-free holder", not "problem holder", right?
    Lance.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    nope, i meant what i typed. i see people bashing guys that sell coins in problem holders, not hiding anything, with a big fat picture of the slab, but its perfectly fine to crack a problem coin and re-submit it hoping the problem goes away.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once had an 1839-O half dollar that NGC kicked back to me in a body bag as "cleaned." All that was "wrong" with it was that it had been dipped white. That was it. I sent it to PCGS and they graded it as an AU, which was the grade it deserved.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I have a 1901-S 25c that was found by my nephew with a metal detector. All that was done was to rinse it with water. it came back from a TPG as cleaned. It's been "toning" for a couple of years now and I will eventually send it to a different TPG for consideration.
    I live in my own world. But it's OK, they know me there.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The borderline cases always are graded in the TPGs favor. They'd rather hear the argument that they didn't grade uncleaned coins than the argument they grade cleaned coins.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not talking about cracking it out. I'm talking about sending it back in the genuine details holder and see if it regrades.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In that case no. I have sent a few genuine coins cracked out and got a grade.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not talking about cracking it out. I'm talking about sending it back in the genuine details holder and see if it regrades. >>

that makes no sense to me, and I'd be very surprised if it ever works

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>I'm not talking about cracking it out. I'm talking about sending it back in the genuine details holder and see if it regrades. >>

You need to have the guts to crack it out and start over. If you don't have guts to crack it out, it's waste of time and money to send it in for grading in that holder.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about this scenario:
    You submit a Lincoln purchased a long time ago as Unc. It comes back as genuine but 92 cleaned or 91 questionable color in a holder. Would you crack it out, handle it every day to "dirty" it up with only finger contact, then re-submit it once it has lost the "cleaned" and/or "questionable color"? Is it ethical to "fix" the problems?

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably an even slimmer chance of that happening than having an NGC coin cross at the same grade.
    Not that either aren't deserving, it just seems that the odds are better if you crack it first.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>What about this scenario:
    You submit a Lincoln purchased a long time ago as Unc. It comes back as genuine but 92 cleaned or 91 questionable color in a holder. Would you crack it out, handle it every day to "dirty" it up with only finger contact, then re-submit it once it has lost the "cleaned" and/or "questionable color"? Is it ethical to "fix" the problems? >>

Once you have handled it that much, it probably could not be called "Unc." I have put circulated, cleaned copper coins in an envelope for five and six years and have had them tone back to the point where they were very acceptable. Mint State coins are trickier.

At any rate if a coin is cleaned and has hairlines, that is pretty much the end of the discussion. Hairlines do not "tone off." Hairlines or polishing are the true hallmarks of cleaning, and they don't go away unless you "circulate" the piece to remove a thin layer of metal which will result in an AU or EF piece.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did have the guts to crack it out. I purchased a 35-D Boone on ebay in a Genuine Cleaned XF details holder. (I'm working on a lowball 144 set) It didn't look cleaned to me or others so I cracked it out and sent it back in. It came back counterfeit. In talking to PCGS they said if I felt that way about it you can send it in for a regrade and that they take it out of the holder so that the grader doesn't know what the previous grade had been. My question is has anyone done this with such a genuine holder.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cracked out a coin marked "not genuine" and resubmitted it. Came back genuine.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file