Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$100 One-Ounce Platinum OR $50 One-Ounce Gold ? If you have money just to buy one - which one would

CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
$100 One-Ounce Platinum OR $50 One-Ounce Gold ? If you have money just to buy one - which one would you buy ?
Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers

Comments

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    What are two precious metal bullion coins minted by the United States of America, Alex?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suggest asking your question on the Precious Metals Forum here.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea that one day the difference in price of Gold and Plat. will spread out once again with Plat. being the more valuable at some point...and by a healthy margin. Platinum as a metal is more rare but harder to work with so gold frequently has a higher demand. Who knows...my thoughts on the matter.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>What are two precious metal bullion coins minted by the United States of America, Alex? >>

If you have money just to buy one - which one would you buy ?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Suggest asking your question on the Precious Metals Forum here. >>

I agree there might be better guidance over there.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the face value that the IRS will give you when they sieze your assets and property image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...for $150 bucks, I would buy both of them image

Erik
  • Options

<< <i>...for $150 bucks, I would buy both of them image

Erik >>

I would probably understandable enough - I mean those things:

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take the platinum if the Chevy comes with it! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    either over a bitcoin
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Seeing as no one else will give you a straight opinion, I'd go with the gold. I think that both metals will undergo a lot of volatility, but I've been collecting the plats for a long time and, while I love the designs, interest seems close to zero on these from collectors. It's hard to see that ever changing. OTOH, the gold eagles seem to have a relatively healthy collecting base. One more point, though, is that it seems as though the big slugs have the weakest collector demand. I'd like to hear what others say about this, but most people seem to buy them just to have a chunk of metal in their SDBs. That's why if I had the dough, I'd probably try to buy some nice half-ounce bullion examples or something like that. If these other guys stop clowning around (I'd guess beer and football are responsible), you may get a better idea of where to throw your loot!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gold. I don't do platinum
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an easy decision.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Another vote for the gold coin since it will be more liquid/easer to sell.

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seeing as no one else will give you a straight opinion, I'd go with the gold. I think that both metals will undergo a lot of volatility, but I've been collecting the plats for a long time and, while I love the designs, interest seems close to zero on these from collectors. It's hard to see that ever changing. OTOH, the gold eagles seem to have a relatively healthy collecting base. One more point, though, is that it seems as though the big slugs have the weakest collector demand. I'd like to hear what others say about this, but most people seem to buy them just to have a chunk of metal in their SDBs. That's why if I had the dough, I'd probably try to buy some nice half-ounce bullion examples or something like that. If these other guys stop clowning around (I'd guess beer and football are responsible), you may get a better idea of where to throw your loot! >>

The original vague question was edited, hence the clowning around. Under the new question...Id go with the gold!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I get to pick the Pt, and it's up against a generic GAE, I'd go with the Pt.

If it's a lesser Pt vs. a buffalo, all things being equal, I'd go buffalo.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really had to think about this question. If you've never owned a Plat, buy one raw with a low premium (preferably one from 1997 to 2003) and then decide if you appreciate the essence of it. If you don't, sell it and buy the gold.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I would choose the Platinum. Only 1/10 the quantity of Gold above ground and if Shell ever starts making Platformate again, the price will soar. image
  • Options

I would easily choose platinum... it is far more rare than gold and in my opinion is destined in the long run to rise much more than gold. The gold/platinum ratio is currently and again in my opinion out of whack.
    ** TexasAKHouston **
    Successful BST transactions with: PerryHall, wondercoin, gowithmygut, RonB, oreville
  • Options

<< <i>I would easily choose platinum... it is far more rare than gold and in my opinion is destined in the long run to rise much more than gold. The gold/platinum ratio is currently and again in my opinion out of whack. >>

You may have a point. Platinum is mostly an industrial metal and demand should increase if we ever get out of this recession.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $100 Platinum costs way more because the premium to spot is much higher. So, "IF" money matters, how shall it work ?
    If metal costs more, the mental anguish is that it just sits dormant for nothing. It must do something more.
    Which one melts at the higher temperature ? I could make all sorts of reasons MONEY is worth more because of the energy costs and the metal's industrial strength.
    Now let's talk about coins. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold coin every time.... will always be more liquid than the platinum...... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    go with the gold. New technologies are eliminating Plat in catalytic converters in cars and you also have the emergence of gasoline alternative engines. Outside of the auto industry, Plat has little industrial use.

Now for near the same cost, I would buy 100 shares of our host CLCT. It pays a nice annual dividend and you get exposure to the precious metals market through the grading of coins.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$100 One-Ounce Platinum OR $50 One-Ounce Gold ? If you have money just to buy one - which one would you buy ? >>

I'd buy the draped bust quarter in VF

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    The yellow shiny color of gold is very alluring. Gold is much more affordable than Plat and the common people only know and care about Gold. US Gold coins have been around for years and are subjects of desirability. I will go with Gold anytime.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I got Gold and Platinum. I'm trying to decide if and when to grab a Rhodium bar and/or a Paladium coin. Remember when Rhodium was
    at $10, 000 ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file