Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Name a coin you haven't seen on the auction block in years

Be it an R6+ or a common date. What haven't you seen in several years??? I have not seen a 1909-O Barber quarter in AU in a long time!

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1568 and 1571 Scotland Ryals in no-problems certifiable condition.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    One I'd love to see - 1889 CC GSA
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mercury dime I need that doesn't cost an arm, and a leg.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Many better half dimes come to mind. In the Liberty seated series, I have not seen an 1839-O V1 Large O in VF or better come to auction. I have also not seen an 1840-O No Drapery V6 Transitional in XF or better cross the auction block. Neither of the Small O varieties (V4 or V5) of the 1848-O in mint state have been auctioned, either. In the Capped Bust half dimes, I have not seen an 1835 LM-12, an 1829 LM-6.1 or an 1833 LM-5 come to auction, in any grade. Perhaps this is why we refer to these as 'rare'.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    The 1889cc GSA is for sale, last I heard. Monaco coins was selling it for 1.2mm.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1889cc GSA is for sale, last I heard. Monaco coins was selling it for 1.2mm. >>

I'd be willing to stretch to make a run at that one, but that is just stretching too far.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    HK-358,
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Vermont Ryder 5. Both cast and struck...hasn't appeared for quite awhile.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    single lot 1913-P type I 5c, VF35. Die variety unnoted.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gloucester Token

• Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Be it an R6+ or a common date. What haven't you seen in several years??? I have not seen a 1909-O Barber quarter in AU in a long time! >>

An NGC AU50 sold last November at Heritage for around $1600 .. I know the person that bought it - it crossed to PCGS 50 a few months later and was resold at a very hefty premium

The coin was topic of conversation on the Barber thread at the time .. majority decision was the coin looked cleaned / washed out. I saw it in hand about a month ago .. pix made it look worse than it was .. I wasn't thrilled with it but it wasn't bad either
    imageimage
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    Not a coin, but, I don't think a Cucamonga National (any denomination, LG/Small), has come up for auction since 2007, and before that, 2005. Just going from memory here.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a long time?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you eliminate the requirement for a specific grade or unusual variety (or coin for which there are fewer than a ten known), I cannot think of a single U.S. gold coin that has not been auctioned in recent years, and every single one (except the 1870-S $3) has been auctioned since 1999.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you eliminate the requirement for a specific grade or unusual variety (or coin for which there are fewer than a ten known), I cannot think of a single U.S. gold coin that has not been auctioned in recent years, and every single one (except the 1870-S $3) has been auctioned since 1999. >>

Except the 1822 $5
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1934-D WLH P67.
    1944-S WLH P67.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you eliminate the requirement for a specific grade or unusual variety (or coin for which there are fewer than a ten known), I cannot think of a single U.S. gold coin that has not been auctioned in recent years, and every single one (except the 1870-S $3) has been auctioned since 1999. >>

Except the 1822 $5 >>

Only one is in private hands. It last sold at public auction in 1982 (Eliasberg) for $687,500. Two are in the Smithsonian. What would that coin bring today at auction? image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notice that some are lumping Medals, and Tokens into the coin bucket.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Except the 1822 $5 >>

And the 1854-S half eagle.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite, RYK. Any of the singular extant 1804 Proof $10. The Bass Collection coin was last at auction in 1982. The Simpson Collection coin last was at auction in 1988.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Have seen only 1 of the 5 classic commems in PCGS MS69 come to auction since 2000, one of the two 38-D Oregons which sold in an OGH in 2002 and again in
    2004 in the new JFS collection slab.

But 3 of the other 4 were made sometime after Aug 2000, my last PCGS pop book. The only other one that was made pre-2000 and I'd love to see
    (but could never afford) is the 37-D Oregon that resides in X_man's "Schultz" #1 all time Oregon Set. Looks like a jewel of a coin.

• Options

<< <i>Any of the singular extant 1804 Proof $10. The Bass Collection coin was last at auction in 1982. The Simpson Collection coin last was at auction in 1988. >>

1982 Eliasberg? So I take it that the Simpson coin is the ex: Baldenhofer coin, which did not sell in Les Fox' (mostly) Amazing Gold Rarities (Akers-Stacks 1988). Opened and closed at $260+10%.

About as mega-cool as it gets. image

If I could only buy one for a dollar and had to chose between this and the TDN 66SP, I'd go with the 1804 $10. No knock on the consolation prize. image

2 years ago Laurie moved the $10 in the $5,000,000 range. image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A novodel over perhaps the first dollar struck? For shame. image
  • Options
    I must also add in the type of 1838 $10 Liberty Type of 1838 in proof. Last appearance Pittman '88

Now PCGS PR65 DCAM CAC

1838 was the first year $10's were made after 1804. Three proofs made.

One piece is untraced, perhaps misattributed by Breen.

Jay Miller and I had the pleasure of handling the Cardinal Spellman-Akers-private collector-Miller/Sear(1989-91)-private collector-Goldberg-private collector.

Dave had handled both coins and he was very clear and direct about ours being more than half a point better. In direct discussion with JJP he, bristling, but only a little bit, conceded ours was likely better.

Doug Winter did great research for us on the proofs of 1838 1nd 1839.

I tried to broker the Pittman coin a couple of years ago, but my customer got self-protective in the $2,000,000 range.

The Spellman coin is the totally coolest coin I've ever owned. image
  • Options

<< <i>A novodel over perhaps the first dollar struck? For shame. image >>

I thought it would be cool to build a special registry set. image) Anyone got a yellow Morocco leather box? image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>HK-358,
    image >>

neat, i like image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1849 Half Cent in MS 65 RB - I have NEVER seen one of them.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file