Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1964 Topps

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Amazing set Henri. I'm working on the set in 8's. Can't imagine trying to build it in 9, or the number of 10's that you have.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atta Boy Henri!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Just mind boggling. Some of these 1 of 1 PSA 10s (Mets and Cardinals Team cards, Willie McCovey, Gaylord Perry) must be hugely sought after. A phenominal accomplishment.
  • Options
    Henri,

Congratulations! I've somewhat recently started working on the '65 set in PSA 8 (mixing in 7s and 9s when it makes sense). Knowing how daunting that task is, I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty and expense of doing a similar set in PSA 9 or better.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    good job!!!!!!image
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely outstanding! And beautiful!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome set. Congrats.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone...you are right I did not build the set for any consideration...except to finish it...this was personal...as I stated when I began...it was just to be the first to put it together in all 9's or better...I sort of got carried away in the process...it would never have happened without the help of many fellow collectors...as to the future of this set...I'd really like to reach around 200 PSA 10's...there are still many out there that are not in anyone's sets?! If anyone runs across #3 as a PSA 9...I'd love to hear from you...there are only four and I know of only one?
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable! Those cards look pack fresh. What an accomplishment - congrats!!

Are you working on 63 now or takling a break?

Joe
  • Options
    Yes...I am now working on my 63 set...cards seem to be a bit harder to find...at least those that I want...not sure what my goal is for this set...I'll try to get as many 9's as I can but some of these cards will have to be 8's just because of the population...I'm really not interested in being the #1 set...I'll attempt to make it a high 8.something set...I'd really like to go and finish my 59 and 62 sets too..
    Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Okay...over the weekend I found the last PSA 9 that I needed to complete the "ENTIRE" 1964 Topps set in PSA 9 or better...mission accomplished...the first complete totally PSA 9 or better set to have existed...100%...not a single 8 or 7 in the set!! Unfreaking unbelievable! NEVER thought it would be possible when I started...it was just a dream...so many fellow collectors to thank...without their aid it would never have been possible...

THANKS EVERBODY!!!!

PS...the final 9 is not in the set offically...yet...not until it arrives!
    Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Henri! That is quite an accomplishment. Will you be posting scans for all the cards?
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great job Henri! That is quite an accomplishment. Will you be posting scans for all the cards? >>

Ditto that, would love to see some scans. Good luck with the 63's.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must have missed this - Henri that is SPECTACULAR! image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    Great job !!! image
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I have my results back from PSA and they are not good. Earlier I mentioned that I submitted 13 cards for a possible bump up from PSA 9's to PSA 10's. The first time PSA graded the cards they all came back as trimmed. Talked to Joe Orlando about the situation and he had them re-inspected again and regraded. This time 4 came back as PSA 9's and the balance came back again as trimmed. The cert's are all over the map. Some were recently graded within the past couple of months and some had the old print type certs. There has been a problem with the graded for a very long period of time.

After several emails between Joe and myself, Joe writes back to me and says "PSA has no problem here. The cards were reviewed by our graders and that is their decision." I definitely think there is a problem not only with the grading service but the lack of responsibility of Joe Orlando.

You guys can make your own decisions about your collecting standards but I won't be throwing my money away on more trimmed cards. I just dumped my collection in the last few weeks.

Best of luck to you all and your collecting. >>

This does make you wonder sometimes about the review process ! Just thought I would revive this thread in response to Dav's recent submission of reviews and the question of submitting 9's for reviews !
    Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is quite disturbing to say the least.----------I'm serious.
  • Options
    It been more than a year since I've been active on this board...still collecting...just not finding that much for my 1963 set that I still would like to complete...as to the 1964 set it's still growing in quality...I remember when I finished this set that it was at 9.17 and that 9.36 was the best you could build the set...now it's at 9.586...incredibly someone seems to keep finding new PSA 10's daily...cards that were once difficult to find as 9's now have 2-3-4 PSA 10's...I'm not sure what other year has had this explosion of new PSA 10's as this set...I thought they stopped printing these in 1964...lol...

I now have over 200 PSA 10's in the set...over 100 are 1 of 1's...crazy...I remember when I only had 60 total 10's...re-reading my threads I did find that one of my goals was to have 200 of them...I guess I made that...

The worse part is having bought 1 of 1 PSA 10's now only to have 3 of them available...which means a card that I bought for $2000 I is now worth $800...my Gaylord Perry went from a 1 of 1 PSA 10 to now being one of 3...examples of this abound...stupid...depressing to say the least...

I wish they'd find two or three Mantles when they find these new 10's...I did find this nice example in January of this year...enjoy...it's a 1 of 1...

Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    Henri , thanks for the update .

First off , absolutely a beautiful Brooks card !!!!

Second , its great that you decided to continue the upgrading of your set . I have a number of sets where excellence in quality is the goal . I don't have a vast budget , but I do have goals set . With the disasterist policies and direction things are heading into and the coming public pension tsunamis , which can only be funded by more confiscation , its no telling how long and how much I will be able to make my mini card collecting dreams come true.

Keep up the great work image ----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    I know PSA has been around for a bit now but I imagine many of those Psa 10's were just never graded cards....I could imagine though if I collected these hard to find 10's and paid a premium for a 1/1 from the 60's that I would be upset if my 1/1 went to 1/3. But something fishy doesn't have to be going on for this to happen does it? I mean we do trust them right?
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the story with the Bob Perry card? I've never see a black back version before.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    John--I keep a couple of corresponding Venezuelans with my Topps sets. The 64 is one Venny issue that, unlike the 59s, will never be confused with their US counterparts
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    I see where Mr. Spence has retired his # 1 1964 Set and all Team sets associated with it ! I know
    Mr.. Spence doesn't post or even reads these Boards ???? ..............But just wondering why he retired his
    set ????? Anyone know if he is selling it or just content with retiring the set !
    Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Looks like he retired a few sets...I wonder what's that all about? Just what we need a mystery...lol...
    Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    I'm looking for some 1964 PSA 10's...I've tracked a few...but these 10's I have no idea where they are...#7, 38, 44, 67, 99, 145, 155, 156, 170, 184, 257, 260, 331, 357, 362, 402, 440, 471, 512, 558 and 579...these are cards that are not in any set that I can find...either as a set, team or players cards...just taking a shot in the dark here...any help would be appreciated...

I can be reached at enuber@aol.com

Thank You...
    Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets